Would yo buy a B&W only 16 BIT M9 ?

Would yo buy a B&W only 16 BIT M9 ?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 71 14.4%
  • Yes, but only if it performs like B&W film.

Votes: 58 11.7%
  • Yes, but only if it costs 15-20% less than the standard M9.

Votes: 60 12.1%
  • No.

Votes: 305 61.7%

• Total voters
I voted "no."

The M9 is nearly $7000 USD; the M Monochrom is nearly $8000 USD. Given those two facts, the proposed camera that is the subject of this poll would probably be priced at $9000 USD or higher.

I will stick with my film M cameras, thanks.

I voted "no."

The M9 is nearly $7000 USD; the M Monochrom is nearly $8000 USD. Given those two facts, the proposed camera that is the subject of this poll would probably be priced at $9000 USD or higher.

I will stick with my film M cameras, thanks.

This poll was started way before anybody had any idea that the Mono would ever be on offer (probably even earlier than the decision in Solms to sell the Mono was signed).

The Mono is pretty much the camera asked for in this poll (despite it is not a 16bit camera), but honestly I don't see a large enough benefit, visible between the Mono files and real 16bit files for comparisons sake.

The Mono is THAT good. It's the ultimate digital for RF shooters, who are committed to B/W and a digital workflow.
The price point of this camera body is secondary.

This poll was started way before anybody had any idea that the Mono would ever be on offer (probably even earlier than the decision in Solms to sell the Mono was signed).

The Mono is pretty much the camera asked for in this poll (despite it is not a 16bit camera), but honestly I don't see a large enough benefit, visible between the Mono files and real 16bit files for comparisons sake.

The Mono is THAT good. It's the ultimate digital for RF shooters, who are committed to B/W and a digital workflow.
The price point of this camera body is secondary.

Absolutely agree. Top of the lines Canons and Nikons are at a very similar point and many don't feel those cameras are to much. I remember the days when Leica M were over twice as much as the top of the line Canons (F-1s) and Nikons (Fs).

I absolutely think it was a great buy for me, the way I am seeing and my current work flow. If I still had a darkroom I might still be shooting film but I don't and fact that the high ISO capabilities makes the MM a very versatile tool for street work made it a no brainer for me and worth ever dime.

My black M9-P has fewer than 700 shutter actuations, is in mint condition, and the warranty expires 10 Jan. 2015. I am planning putting it into the Classifieds, probably at the end of October. (Other events take precedence.) I'll then replace it with an M-Monochrome.

HFL

Too Funny. From the deep past at RFF. I still have and use my M Monochrom, new CCD in it. And I did write my own software for post-processing images from it. The format is very simple. I use it to correct a bad line, cannot be bothered to send to Leica. My algorithm restores the line, does not "just" average it out.

I'm glad the Monochrome camera caught on.

Back