Would you trade your Zeiss Ikon for a Leica M6?

After 2 months with the zeiss ikon i'm a very happy user. It's a great camera! But after i read this post I checked the strap lugs, and they do wear off! I used it with a shoulder strap, in kind of normal use, and i can see now the problem.

Otherwise, a great camera. I was tempted with a M6, but finally i bought a second hand zi, because of the viewer, and the loading system. AE is quite useful too. Of course, i like the M7, but It feels somehow snobbish for me, cannot find an excuse to buy such an expensive thing!

"Hate" is a strong word ;) I'm not sure why, but it seems to involve some level of "businessman skills". Trades usually work for me, since the only real reason for selling any of my stuff is to get some new stuff. If I can achive that by dropping the selling bit, all the better.

How much skill does it take to list your M6 on RFF classifieds?

there is no way I would trade my MP or M6 for a ZI. It would be like trading a Humvee for a Honda SUV. Nice, but no deal.

Eisenstadt & Winogrand used their same cameras, respectively, for decades. I doubt one will be able to say this about the ZI.

I do not want to dis a nice cam like the ZI. AE makes the ZI a fast shooter, but for me not a must have.

Last edited:
Eisenstadt & Winogrand used their same cameras, respectively, for decades. I doubt one will be able to say this about the ZI.

Aye. And that is my problem with it. I want to be able to buy a camera that will last me as long as film is around, and i think a leica would definately be able to do that. Whether it is an m6 or an m7. Zeiss... not so.

The zeiss does have some marvelous features that the leica doesnt have but in any case I'd much rather have durability.

Back