X-Pro 1's Achilles' Heel

I own the 18. It's perfectly sharp at the edges. I think a lot of the commentary about mushy, unsharp edges is based on early examples. Possibly bad samples as well. I'm seeing sharp, well balanced images from posters, and I've had the same experience. I could complain about the edge distortion or the CA/fringing, but I get this with every UWA I've owned and tried, so I won't, and I assume there will be a profile to address this when the XP1 is added in Lightroom/Aperture. I'm sure you'll love it

That's good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.

From the photos I've seen on line the fringing is most visible in high contrast situations. Have you seen any dependence on exposure? If the sky is dark blue instead of white is there a difference?

That's good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.

From the photos I've seen on line the fringing is most visible in high contrast situations. Have you seen any dependence on exposure? If the sky is dark blue instead of white is there a difference?

I see it most in high contrast, yes. It's not always there, but almost always if the light source is direct and/or bright enough. The typical sky vs thin edges/contrast are very often there. Mostly magenta/purple, and also not specific to corners. I had similar results with my nikon and tokina lenses in similar situations. Oh, and some pentax lenses. It's def there. The camera doesn't remove it and since there are no profiles yet I'd have to remove it manually, which I'm too lazy to do.

I'm not sure i've noticed a difference with whiter or bluer skies. I can keep that in mind and let you know if i see it.

I have had my x100 pretty close to when they released it in the us... Fuji is great about fixing their problems and listening to their customers. I am sure that the x pro 1 will get the shame level of excellent support from Fuji.

I have only had my xp1 for two days now... All the tricks I learned from using the x100 and the contax g2 mostly apply with this camera. I am in the camp that this really feels like a digital contax g2. Even the initial lens line up seems to be match up pretty close.

I cannot remember any recent camera release that did not have any problems from any manufacture.

The images from this camera with the 35 f1.4 is really great.

Now the gas attack. Which other lenses to get for it?

Gary

Took the XP1 + 18,35,60 with me on a week long trip. Even with the CA issues and edge distortion, used the 18 MUCH more than the other two. Have no complaints whatsoever. Actually, one complaint: no LR4/Aperture support yet. I'd really like these lenses to be profiled. Yeeesh.

Not wanting to write about a camera I don't own, I'm chiming in a bit late - but now I can verify what I am writing. And it's nice to see that the X-Pro1 is continuing the X100's concept with more flexibility and computing power.

The X-Pro1's AF system has been improved over the X100: It's faster and works more consistently - but you still have to understand the way this system works to get the most out of it.

Fuji should write an article explaining all the details like this user article helping the AF frustrated Contax G users...
http://www.botzilla.com/blog/archives/000378.html

Of course, who reads carefully through all these X-Pro1 thread will find similar good information.
Well, Fuji hasn't, but I have written a number of articles about the X100's CDAF system which also apply to the X-Pro1. This should help anyone who wants to use his X-Pro1 under difficult lighting situations.

My take on this camera after three days of use is - the camera's AF system will work down to the same light levels as any phase-detect system, just that it cannot predict and factor in object motion as well as PDAF cameras can. But that's nothing new: Sports are and will remain to be the domain of DSLRs.

But for everything else, this camera offers great IQ, compact build and low weight - which makes it fun to use.

The X-Pro1's AF system has been improved over the X100: It's faster and works more consistently - but you still have to understand the way this system works to get the most out of it.

Here here, well said. Having used the X100 since it's release and now using the XPRO1 for a sort time, I have to scratch my head as to what all the noise is about. My X100 worked fairly well from the start, with a few hiccups at first, but now works quite well with the latest firmware updates. The XPRO1, for me, has been just hands down near perfect from the start, including the AF.

Now this may be because my XPRO is brand spanking new, while the experts over at Dpreview where stuck using prototypes in their tests. I hope they get their hands on a latest unit for testing.

I have been shooting in dark bars the last two nights (a consequence of a far too strong love of Ale) and I have been very pleased with the AF performance. Of course you have to know where to focus. The AF assist lamp does not hurt either!

Sorry folks, but so far I couldn't be happier.

Back