Zeiss Ikon A-G Dresden 5cm 2.8 with Leica M9

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
11:17 PM
link: https://raid.smugmug.com/Leica-M9-CZ-Dresden-5cm-28-2022/

I am trying out an old Zeiss Tessar 50mm 2.8 that is in Contax mount on a Leica M9. I am not used to using collapsible lenses, and I may have had some images soft because the lens was not completely pulled out. I may use this lens for some portraits. It is sharp in the center and it flares when challenged with light. I never edit what I post so that you can see the good and the bad output. Stuff happens.

CZ-Dresden-5cm-2.8-M9-X2.jpg

CZ-Dresden-5cm-2.8-M9-2-X2.jpg

I have a similar lens in Nickel/Black. I will try it out too when I have the time for it. I try to make time each week a few times. I also have a Zeiss Tessar 5cm 3.5 that I may have never used so far. I will try it out too,

I have a 1936 Zeiss collapsible chrome 5.0 CM F3.5 Tessar in Contax mount that easily flares, even with the 42mm push on hood. It is difficult to use on my M9 with adapter because it wants to collapse when you try to focus. These lenses were really meant to be used on Contax with focus wheel. I have a similar Tessar F3.5 immediate post war, Jena, aluminum with black painted base that works quite well on my Contax II, no flaring - I guess thats because it must be coated also. I love the old fashion look the Tessars deliver.

I need to use mine more!
The F2.8 was a stretch for the Tessar with the glasses available. The front element is thick compared with the F3.5.

I need a Tessar day!

We all need Tessar Days :)
Using such "inferior" lenses makes me think each time I take a photo. The other alternatives are "perfect" lenses.

I have a 1936 Zeiss collapsible chrome 5.0 CM F3.5 Tessar in Contax mount that easily flares, even with the 42mm push on hood. It is difficult to use on my M9 with adapter because it wants to collapse when you try to focus. These lenses were really meant to be used on Contax with focus wheel. I have a similar Tessar F3.5 immediate post war, Jena, aluminum with black painted base that works quite well on my Contax II, no flaring - I guess thats because it must be coated also. I love the old fashion look the Tessars deliver.

I may have a similar one too. I will try out one lens at a time.

Back