Votes: 4 6.6%

Votes: 1 1.6%

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

drjoke

Well-known
Local time
1:33 PM
Or your most often used F-Stop? I know it depends on a lot of factor, but many times I like to put my camera in Aperture Priority mode and just shoot away. Even if ZM Sonnar is either optimized at F1.5 or F2.8, I would assume they are not the most practical F-Stop to use?

I have voted for f2.8, as this is where approximately I use it more often, but this is actually a bit imprecise: I shoot the f1.5 version mostly at f2.0, and the f2.8 version mostly in the f2.8-f5.6 range, this lens out of the factory (f 2.8 optimized) delivers it's best between f2.8 and f4.0

Mine is optimized for 2.8 and the lens probably stays between 2.8 and 8 for day to day shooting.
If I'm sober enough to use it at 1.5 I do and love the results, you just need to think a little more about it.

I have no problem focusing at any F stop. Even in the dark which is probably more to due the Zeiss Ikon Rangefinder than the lens.

I have no problem focusing at any F stop. Even in the dark which is probably more to due the Zeiss Ikon Rangefinder than the lens.
The Ikon viewfinder is the focus shift killer
Says the guy who just posted in another thread that his 75mm lens suddenly and curiously frontfocuses on his M8, and then noticed that the rangefinder is probably out of whack.

Philipp

watching the camera take a small tumble did indeed happen suddenly, but your make it sound so mysterious. Initially I thought the lens had been out, then I realized that wasn't the case and fixed the problem. To give me some credit I was about 15 minutes into the day and I had no coffee.
But thank you for pointing that out :)

I bought the lens for the look it produces wide open, and so I shoot it wide open unless DOF or light issues force me to stop down. Probably 75%or more of my use of the Sonnar is for portraiture. I have never had the focusing issues that have been so extensively discussed on these forums, any misfocus in my photos always seems to be operator error, and I can pretty much predict a poor result coming as I snap the shutter. I usually choose an alternative 50mm lens (or MF) when I want that super sharp clinical look, but can pretty near equal that quality with the Sonnar stopped down. Easily my most commonly used 50mm lens, and the last one I would give up.
LJS

I cannot understand the use of the word "practical" here. If the lens is for general use, then the stop dictated by the light, the film speed and the shutter speed. But if it was bought specifically for its speed and its out of focus rendering, then a wide opening.

hi guys , I have a sonnar zm but it has been a long time since I used it. do you have any tip to avoid focus shift at 1.5 ( want to shoot portraits with it )

hi guys , I have a sonnar zm but it has been a long time since I used it. do you have any tip to avoid focus shift at 1.5 ( want to shoot portraits with it )
Shoot lots of portraits with it, get used to the lens, and don't bother too much about stuff you read on the Internet.

Philipp

Back