Zorki 1 repair: Problem with removing the top

jim126

Local time
6:32 PM
Hello everyone, hopefully I am posting this in the right section. I am trying to remove the top of my Zorki 1 so I can remove the shutter to repair it. I successfully removed everything necessary except for the front rangefinder collar (used for adjusting vertical rangefinder alignment). No matter how hard I try to unscrew it, I just can't get it to budge. I had the same problem with my FED 2, which led to me abandoning its repair. Maizenberg wasn't any help, nor were any of the guides I found online. Could anyone who has some experience taking apart FSU rangefinder cameras help me out? Thanks.

Usually you can get them off with just some rubber grips, but with super-stuck rangefinder and viewfinder surrounds, there is the Right Way or the Wrong Way to get them to move.

The Right Way is to use a correctly sized ring wrench - something like this one NobbySparrow sells on eBay. They should grip the little buggers perfectly and let you remove them without mauling them to death.

The Wrong Way is to use a pair of pliers, grip the thing as hard as you can, and turn. This will, obviously, absolutely batter the hell out of the camera, but it'll let you get into it.

...however, there is a middle ground. If you are very, very careful, you can wrap a couple of layers of duct tape around each jaw of your pliers and pad them enough to not leave any visible marks on the camera. This is - needless to say - very, very dumb, but it does work. You just have to take it very slowly, ensure you don't let the damn things slip off, and repeatedly check you've not cut through the duct tape.

I literally just did that this afternoon to remove the rangefinder surrounds on a rusty and neglected Moskva 5. It does work, but I begrudge recommending it to anyone as it is very easy to permanently damage something. Last resort only - and definitely not something to do on a super-expensive camera.

It can be very difficult to remove such parts unless you have the correct tools, and a flexiclamp-type wrench would be ideal. These can sometimes be purchased ready-made, or improvised. I'm sure there are virtuosos out there who can do the job perfectly using a pair of pliers and a rubber band, but I'm not one of them.

I've never had good luck trying to wrap the jaws of pliers to avoid marring the rangefinder collars. The pliers have teeth, which readily cuts through the duct tape in my experience.

One thing I would suggest, though, is using some penetrating oil (e.g. Liquid Wrench; Break-Free) on the collars and let it work in for a day or two. That might be enough to enable you to shift it without too much damage.

But a ring wrench really is the right tool for this job, with or without the penetrating oil.

Usually you can get them off with just some rubber grips, but with super-stuck rangefinder and viewfinder surrounds, there is the Right Way or the Wrong Way to get them to move.

The Right Way is to use a correctly sized ring wrench - something like this one NobbySparrow sells on eBay. They should grip the little buggers perfectly and let you remove them without mauling them to death.

The Wrong Way is to use a pair of pliers, grip the thing as hard as you can, and turn. This will, obviously, absolutely batter the hell out of the camera, but it'll let you get into it.

...however, there is a middle ground. If you are very, very careful, you can wrap a couple of layers of duct tape around each jaw of your pliers and pad them enough to not leave any visible marks on the camera. This is - needless to say - very, very dumb, but it does work. You just have to take it very slowly, ensure you don't let the damn things slip off, and repeatedly check you've not cut through the duct tape.

I literally just did that this afternoon to remove the rangefinder surrounds on a rusty and neglected Moskva 5. It does work, but I begrudge recommending it to anyone as it is very easy to permanently damage something. Last resort only - and definitely not something to do on a super-expensive camera.
Thank you for the ideas. I think I'll use the duct tape method for now. If that doesn't work I'll buy the tool.

Thank you for the ideas. I think I'll use the duct tape method for now. If that doesn't work I'll buy the tool.
If you're taking this route, make sure you use a lot of duct tape (at least a couple of layers), take it very slowly, and don't blame me when you mar the finish on the rangefinder collar!

more options - ou can also put adhesive tape on pliers.
You can drill a hole in old pliers slightly smaller than the diameter of the eyepiece eye.
The damaged layer of the coating on the eyepiece eye nut can be restored by throwing it into used fixer - a thin layer of silver will stick to the exposed copper

Minor damage to “white” coatings on metals can be eliminated by rubbing aluminum powder into the damaged area with your finger for a long time.

Back