zorki 4k vs leica m4

I think a Zorki/Fed can be great, while a Leica can be crap - or vice versa, really. However one thing that Leica has over FSU cameras - is the M-mount. It just makes it so much more versatile. Now if FSU cameras would ever made a camera with M mount - could have been interesting. I know there are some great lenses in L-mount, but I just can't use my M-Hexanons on Zorki, no matter how much I like it. Well, maybe a UC-Hex. ;)

does it really matters if Leica is better camera,if you can't afford one?
or do you really need a Leica?does Zorki can get the job done?
there is a thread in the forum where a young boy of 18 years asks for the prices of a used M8!
does he really needs one?can he afford one?
i think his mind is "poisoned" with the Leica brand.
and if he buys one,what next?when he is 25 years old or 30 what should he expect?

Hi Steven,

When it comes to Leica pricing sometimes in Austria and Germany it can reach ridiculous regions. But I am speaking for this region. It seems to be the same phenomenon like American service rifles in the USA. A Springfield or a Garand can catch a premium in the US.
So to get a user Leica I had to buy one from a forum member.
Comparing it to my FSU´s taught me to appreciate its quality.

just found a shangaï 58b... (think I'll buy it) CLAed... nice looking like a improved IIIf (slow speed flash synch, and a real one piece viewfinder...) with the cla it looks very well made...
only flaw a ratchet sound when you wind the shutter (but the sound is original...)
other wise very leica like...

thanks

thanks

I ended up putting the results over in the optics forum for the 3 lenses.

hey brachal thanks for future test - i think it will be fun.

and ampguy - you can try and shoot some newspaper that fills whole frame for sharpness. for flare it will be good any setup with bare bulb in frame, and for overall impression you can put any objects that you find , put them on table together and shoot. try to find some packages with small letters and stuff like that.

does it really matters if Leica is better camera,if you can't afford one?

Well, yes.

But some people seem to think that Leica should engrave their name on any old rubbish, in order to bring the price down so that anyone can buy one for the same price as a second-hand Nikon.

Cheers,

R.

give it a rest already. Leica costs more, you own a Leica, therefore Leica is God and all else is rubbish. We get it. :/

Is it getting hot in here, or is it just me?

Just for fun, here are two pictures I took a while back at a local street parade. One was taken with FSU camera and FSU lens, the other with a LTM Leica and Leica lens. Who can tell which is which?

07470002.JPG

07480028.JPG

I've kept them big so all the gory details come through.

The second one was with the Leica, but you cropped out her butt to try to fool us. (I keed, I keed :) )

It's easy to assign more vitriol to a comment than it deserves. Something about lacking body language, vocal inflection, and eye contact. A phone call is better than a letter for that, a text message is far worse. Not to mention, in person you can show that despite differences of opinion there is no malice intended.

thanks for photos brachal, they make a good point. now i see that it will be even more interesting to compare industar and elmar...

Well, yes.

But some people seem to think that Leica should engrave their name on any old rubbish, in order to bring the price down so that anyone can buy one for the same price as a second-hand Nikon.

Cheers,

R.
don't forget that Leica has a high price because it is a collectible item (because of limited production,hand finished e.c.t.) but it doesn't mean that only with Leica you can take good pictures.
it is one thing price in the collectible market and another thing quality of the taken pictures.
second-hand Nikons are cheaper not only because they lack the quality of a Leica,but because they are made in bigger numbers.Canon leica copies,for example, aren't cheap at all. (Canon IIB, L1 )

The second one was with the Leica, but you cropped out her butt to try to fool us. (I keed, I keed :) )

It's easy to assign more vitriol to a comment than it deserves. Something about lacking body language, vocal inflection, and eye contact. A phone call is better than a letter for that, a text message is far worse. Not to mention, in person you can show that despite differences of opinion there is no malice intended.

40oz,

No worries, I'm an easy-going guy. Regarding the photos, both lenses were 50mm, so no cropping. No photoshop or other hocus-pocus; these are exactly how they came from the lab.

Is "I keed" from Triumph the Insult Dog? I love that guy! "Hey, brachal, you took some nice pictures ... for me to p**p on!"

don't forget that Leica has a high price because it is a collectible item (because of limited production,hand finished e.c.t.) but it doesn't mean that only with Leica you can take good pictures.
it is one thing price in the collectible market and another thing quality of the taken pictures.
second-hand Nikons are cheaper not only because they lack the quality of a Leica,but because they are made in bigger numbers.Canon leica copies,for example, aren't cheap at all. (Canon IIB, L1 )

Very true -- likewise Focas, Hensoldts, Ilford Witness...

But the most collectible Leica stuff is usually the stuff that didn't sell in large numbers when it was new (tri-lens turret, Thambar, etc.) or was not available commercially (Swedish Army, etc.)

Cheers,

R.

normally everything that is issued in a little number has a high price.
that is the point of a collectible object.

i would like to see some more pictures taken with Leica and with FSU RF.
i am want to see how many of us can tell the difference between them!

I have both camera brands, but I only sometimes will use the Zorki 4K as a fun camera to enjoy here and there. The Leica camera radiates first class craftmanship. It is difficult not to realize this fact.

no guesses!
i am not an expert in recognizing Leica's pictures.
i just like some pictures a little more than some others!
so i like the first one more and i don't care with which lens is taken!even if it is a Leica's lens.

no guesses!
i am not an expert in recognizing Leica's pictures.
i just like some pictures a little more than some others!
so i like the first one more and i don't care with which lens is taken!even if it is a Leica's lens.

There's truth there. At the end of the day, I think that's all that matters.

Back