Backpack more focused on daily life less focused on photography needed

j.scooter

Well-known
Local time
10:48 PM
Got a new job that will require me to commute into the city via train and subway.

Want to have a medium sized backpack to carry my 13" laptop, lunch bag and stuff plus easy access to a small camera and at most one lens.

Had a look at the Ona Camps Bay that I really liked the look of, but it was too photo-centric and would not meet my lunch bag and stuff needs.

Any ideas

Got a new job that will require me to commute into the city via train and subway.

Want to have a medium sized backpack to carry my 13" laptop, lunch bag and stuff plus easy access to a small camera and at most one lens.

Had a look at the Ona Camps Bay that I really liked the look of, but it was too photo-centric and would not meet my lunch bag and stuff needs.

Any ideas
Yes, I use this for my daily carry bag. Ortovox Trad Zero 18. 18 litres, the most useful feature is the zip pocket on the seam, near the bottom (keys/phone/wallet). Just over 1000 cu inches capacity. weighs 13 oz. Versatile, small and light. Enough room for laptop, lunch, camera, waterbottle, jacket etc.

A heavier weight one would be the Black Diamond Street Creek 20. The BD does have a special laptop pocket.
I have ended up with both and the Ortovox hangs on a hook by my front door and is default mode....even for going to the grocery store.
Street Creek 20 Backpack
images.jpgdownload-1.jpg

Last edited:
I like Chrome Industries bags: Commute Bags

They're tough and well-designed. I have the Ruckas23 for my daily bus commute. I like the 3/4 opening, I can zip down the entire side of the bag for easier access to contents. A small camera fits into the smaller pouch inside the main compartment, anything larger and I set it on top of my other stuff or else put the whole small camera bag (just fits my Domke F-8 with the K-1 Mark II inside) at the bottom of the main compartment and put the other stuff on top of it.

In early 2023, I bought the Shimoda Designs Explore v2 for travel. I've taken it on several domestic trips and one international trip so far, and it has proved to be a very modular and versatile bag. The bottom section has a (removable) camera cube insert, which I've used for cameras while in transit. Once on location I can remove the insert if I don't need it, using it as a larger day pack and leaving the bottom section for things like lunch, jackets, climbing shoes, etc. The easily accessible top section can still fit my Nikon FM2n kit, with room for second P&S, a light windbreaker, and/or snacks.

The Explore series' style and features might be too "adventure" for daily commuting, but Shimoda has a newer Urban Explore series. It seems to carry over many of the same features, but with a more "urban" EDC style. Available in three different sizes, 20L, 25L, and 30L. Another recommendation to check out are the Wotoncraft bags. No personal experience using them, but some forum members like their bags. Their City Explorer Commander bag is a somewhat similar style to the Ona Camps Bay, and it looks like they have a new Pilot Travel backpack coming out soon.

A backpack is a very personal item. Much like owning a cat, rather having a cat owning you.

Go to the best backpack retail shop you can find. Look at what's on offer. Select the best. Pay the price.

Resist the temptation to pick the "one size fits all" pack. The bigger pack you buy, the sooner it will be full, and soonest you won't be able to lift it, let alone cart it round the city on public transport. Take it from one who knows.

Done!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your recommendations and links.

I ended up with a Peak Design Everyday Carry V2 30L.
It is comfortable and customizable so should work for me.

It is not as nice looking as some of the waxed canvas options. Would have liked to see some of the Wotoncraft options but would need to order and have shipped. Then pay for shipping back if it didn't work out.

Any ideas
I see you've found a suitable bag ... I like PD products but have resisted their backpacks as they seem a bit too "technical" to me, whatever that means. LOL!

The Black Ember "Forge" line is what I've been interested in. They're another San Francisco design company (I do like dealing with local companies) and the Forge looks like a versatile urban chameleon of a bag. I'm not so crazy about their website presentation, but eh? ;) I'd go up to the City and take a look in person...

G

Thanks for all of your recommendations and links.

I ended up with a Peak Design Everyday Carry V2 30L.
It is comfortable and customizable so should work for me.

It is not as nice looking as some of the waxed canvas options. Would have liked to see some of the Wotoncraft options but would need to order and have shipped. Then pay for shipping back if it didn't work out.
Nice choice. I was going to say, be sure it has an umbrella pocket, but it looks like you’re covered.

I commuted by train my last five years before retirement and turned it into a very rewarding extended photo project, Commuter life is a unique culture. Every day a new adventure. Enjoy it.

Back