How Chriscrawfordphoto does it...

Here's a tutorial I made showing how to do color prints that match your monitor without using ICC profiles; a much simpler method than usual. I use Printer Managed Color on an Epson printer.

Very interesting. And who would have imagined. I have been printing color for about 18 years using ICC profiles and never considered Printer Managed Color. While I have no problems using ICC profiles, I will have to give this a try sometime.

BTW, you mentioned having a 2400 in the tutorial. Let me know if you still use it and I will send you all the 2400 ink carts I had left over when I abandoned my 2400 earlier this year.

Very interesting. And who would have imagined. I have been printing color for about 18 years using ICC profiles and never considered Printer Managed Color. While I have no problems using ICC profiles, I will have to give this a try sometime.

BTW, you mentioned having a 2400 in the tutorial. Let me know if you still use it and I will send you all the 2400 ink carts I had left over when I abandoned my 2400 earlier this year.

Bob,

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I had to stop using the r2400 because the waste pad in it got full and it spilled ink all over the table! :( :( I bought the P800 to replace it. The r2400 can be fixed but at a pretty high price. A couple hundred bucks, I think.

I decided to get a new printer instead, since the 2400 is a few generations behind the times. Nice thing about the P800 is it has a user replaceable waste tank that only costs something like $40. The bad thing is the ink is $59 a cartridge, so a full set is almost $500!

Bob,

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I had to stop using the r2400 because the waste pad in it got full and it spilled ink all over the table! :( :( I bought the P800 to replace it. The r2400 can be fixed but at a pretty high price. A couple hundred bucks, I think.

I decided to get a new printer instead, since the 2400 is a few generations behind the times. Nice thing about the P800 is it has a user replaceable waste tank that only costs something like $40. The bad thing is the ink is $59 a cartridge, so a full set is almost $500!

I dumped my Canon 9000 for that same reason. I wonder if there are any other printers that don't have this problem. Like a waste bottle you can empty for free? Epson, maybe?

Bob,

I decided to get a new printer instead, since the 2400 is a few generations behind the times. ......................

I gave up on my 2400 when the paper handling problems that I could not fix became intolerable. But I would have bought another 2400 instead of my p600 if I could have found one. Actually the 2400 I chucked earlier this year was one of the last Epson had in stock after the 2880 was introduced. I was replacing an earlier 2400 and chose not to buy the 2880 as I had so much 2400 ink and experience.

The prints I get from my new P600 look no different than those that came out of my earlier 2400s. I still occasionally exhibit b&w prints made years ago on my Epson 1280 using MIS inks from negs scanned back then on the Minolta ScanDual III that I once had. Nobody notices the difference.

I dumped my Canon 9000 for that same reason. I wonder if there are any other printers that don't have this problem. Like a waste bottle you can empty for free? Epson, maybe?

Epson's large format printers (paper size 17x22 inch and larger) all have a user-replaceable waste tank. There's a little door on the front of my P800 that you open to slide the old one out. The replacement part is not free, it costs about $50, but that's better than hundreds for replacement by a service tech.

I gave up on my 2400 when the paper handling problems that I could not fix became intolerable. But I would have bought another 2400 instead of my p600 if I could have found one. Actually the 2400 I chucked earlier this year was one of the last Epson had in stock after the 2880 was introduced. I was replacing an earlier 2400 and chose not to buy the 2880 as I had so much 2400 ink and experience.

The prints I get from my new P600 look no different than those that came out of my earlier 2400s. I still occasionally exhibit b&w prints made years ago on my Epson 1280 using MIS inks from negs scanned back then on the Minolta ScanDual III that I once had. Nobody notices the difference.

For BW, there isn't much difference between my old r2400 and the new P800. For color, there is a significant difference! The color gamut is wider, and that's seen especially in blues; the P800 is capable of reproducing deep blues that my r2400 couldn't.

Also, there's less metamerism with the P800 prints. Metamerism causes the prints to look different when viewed under different light sources. The old Epson 2200, my first inkjet, was REALLY bad in that regard. Prints from it viewed under daylight looked great, but under incandescent light they became VERY dark. The r2400 was a lot better, and the P800 even better still.

don-goss-11-2017.jpg

I made this portrait of my former high school photography teacher sitting in the school's gym last Saturday when the school, which closed in 2010, was opened one last time for former students and teachers to tour it before it is demolished.

The light was terrible, harsh dim reddish light from overhead fixtures in the gym's high ceiling. I shot it handheld at ISO-6400 with my Canon 5DmkII. I decided to make a video showing how I edited the photo to overcome the problems caused by the terrible light.

https://youtu.be/UtVcYR3CkE0

Here is another of my tutorials for photographers.

This one is a basic introduction to handheld exposure meters. How they work, how to choose and use one. It is the first in a series of metering tutorials that I am writing. (I know I posted another metering tutorial a few days ago. This one should have been first!)

Metering Techniques: Introduction to Handheld Meters

Back