Let’s see some of the earliest photos you’ve made —

I really like these. They’re a really good depiction of life at that time.

I took Polaroid for granted until it was gone and now I miss that look.
Thank you @x-ray, they are still holding their color after 50+ years. I miss the original Polaroid films also.

View attachment 4837390

I think this was from the first roll or two after I decided to pursue "photography" rather than just taking snapshots at parties or whatever. This is in Boston in 1998. I took this with an Olympus 35 SP. I must have shot from the hip. I can't imagine how else I would have taken this.
It seems so @AlexMogens.

Just a guess - but his looks like it was shot inside an MBTA bus. Subject seems to be sitting (given his position against the window). Perhaps you shot this while standing?

It seems so @AlexMogens.

Just a guess - but his looks like it was shot inside an MBTA bus. Subject seems to be sitting (given his position against the window). Perhaps you shot this while standing?
Definitely MBTA... at the time I took the bus to work most days. That was in my university administrator days. Yeah, I think I must have been standing and shooting from the hip. At some point I developed a disdain for doing that, but I'm not sure why.

Barong and Kris Dance.
Gianyar Bali.
Made in the 1990s using a Nikon 801s and 100 ISO or 200 ISO color slide film the shutter speed was far too slow for the ambient lighting. But I somehow like the movement blur that results and the lush colors of the costume. It reminds me in fact, of some old color photos published in Life magazine, of exotic places unseen by most Western eyes - before the world grew quite so small.

Barong and Kris Dance, Gianyar, Bali by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Some more early-70’s Polaroids. I still have some of the items.

View attachment 4837383
1940’s era Philco B&W TV 📺 set. The bottom cabinet/stand was made by my Dad - a professional cabinet maker. To the right, an old RCA turntable console.

View attachment 4837386
I believe that was my old Remington typewriter, Fender Champ amplifier, old Zenith tube Radio. I still have the Harmon mute, Wetsclock alarm ⏰ clock, and Indian brass incense holder sitting atop the radio.
Looks like a Royal, maybe a KMG? Great photo, like peering through a Time Machine!

Back