New York NYC Journal

I rode to work yesterday using the ROH with the new gearing of 48:19. Aside from track stands being slightly harder, I made it to work fine and got home fine. The morning ride wasn't a sweaty mess, but the humidity was above 90% and there was intermittent drizzle blowing out of the trees from the earlier rain, so I arrived to work looking like a sweaty mess. I may need to go down a tooth in the rear to 18 teeth soon. I don't like riding a combination of chainring and cog which both have even number of teeth because it organizes the skid patches into distinct spots and tires wear faster. When I switch, it will either be a quick stint at 48:18 with the goal of swapping to a 17 tooth cog as quickly as possible, or just going straight to the 17. It's a jump of 12 gear inches which is 17% more work per wheel revolution. We'll see. We have rain in the forecast for this afternoon through tomorrow evening, so no commuting those days.

The timetable for my facility closing may have been moved up. We have 13 residents now, and after next Monday, we'll be down in the single digits.
I've been spending a lot of time cleaning up the art room, with the focus on gathering patient art and either getting it ready to move with the respective patients, or to be shredded. There is over 30 years of patient history in this artwork, much of it from now-deceased people. In life, they were forgotten, and with their artwork now off the walls and in a HIPAA shredding bin, they will soon have essentially never existed, aside from occupying a budget line associated with a room. It's a very odd, unique experience to be doing this kind of cleanup. I've reached out and no one I can find knows any other art therapists who have had to pack up so much history of personhood, then destroy it. It feels almost icky, but I can't keep it, nor can anyone else.

Phil

Phil,

I understand the dilemma with HIPPA you are in. History gets erased and lives forgotten. I guess it is normal to feel a sense of loss. Part of being human.

From what I remember even teeth counts also wear the drivetrain more rapidly. From what I know an even number is not so great for the chain, the chainring, and cog.

I find it profound that you are in an in between place in both your life and your bike gearing.

Not that I’m giving advice, but in my case I tend to just hammer and push the bigger gear. Strength and past muscle memory will move you forward faster than you think.

For training coaches sometimes tell riders to remove their seats. Standing is a different style of riding, not really efficient, but it taxes muscles and develops strength mucho rapido. A 12 inch gear jump is big though…

Snarky Joe thought I was crazy. I had the steel IBIS set up as a single speed with big heavy slicks (Schwable Big Apple). 48x16 with a 24 inch rear wheel was 72 gear inches. I could really “honk” on the flats, but some hills were just plain brutal. Pretty much stood up and pumped the bike like a stair master. I’m sure I stretched chains.

Also this style of pumping a bike uses lots of upper body. Pretty much I use my whole body as a big lever to pump the pedals.

Cal

Physical therapy again today.

I have to stop at Home Cheapo to buy more supplies: wood, peat moss, cow manure.

The lettuce is noticeably growing rather fast. I have to build out some trellises while I can. One that is kinda urgent is for the Wisteria that already is developing buds to flower. The dead tree fell down in a windy rainstorm that I was going to use as a trellis. Oh-well.

On the north wall of my last row of garden beds I need to make another trellis for summer squash, cherry tomatoes, and the eggplants. This area is close to the south side of the garage and is slightly tucked under the eves of a hip roof. Sheltered from a north wind, and gets mucho full sun. Pretty much an ideal location and orientation.

The weather was suppose to be rainy today, as far as yesterday’s report, but today is expected a pleasant day with a high of 72 degrees. The weather is so changeable here in the Hudson Valley. Pretty much it can rain at any time. And when I mean sudden it could be a localized deluge over just one town, and dry everywhere else.

Making the most of each day. What a way to really live life. I watered the plants and seeds. I’m also doing a bed of small watermelons for the grand daughter in the back-back area near the “table.”

Cal

Some more light gardening today. Made some “Calvin’s Mix” which is haft peat moss and half cow manure by volume. Mel’s Mix adds a dose of Vermiculite for mucho water retention, but he uses shallow beds that use only a 6 inch depth.

Both mixes are loose and don’t compact much. Calvin’s Mix by weight and volume is richer nutrient wise. The thing I like about Calvin’s Mix is that can be sprinkled on an existing bed to replenish, fertilize, and works as a light mulch.

“Maggie” also worked planting, transplanting, and prepping beds for her cut flowers.

They say gardening not only is relaxing, but it can extend your life.

Rain tomorrow, but we will see. Could be a beautiful sunny day, but I’ll have to water. I added a lot of fertilizer to feed our plants. A good soaking rain would actually be helpful.

Maggie’s brother is an expert landscaper, so we get expert help and advice when needed.

Cal

Gold is getting bid up again as some speculate a FED rate cut might happen later this year. Be careful what you wish for because any rate cut (stimulus) would encourage inflation. This resumption in gold prices does not bold well for the economy.

Back before 2007-2008 and the financial crisis we had a Money Tree that “Maggie’s” brother gifted us. Leading up to the housing crisis this tree grew in a vibrant way and was kinda notable, but then just before the housing crisis it started dying off for no expected reason with yellow leaves that would fall off, and eventually it died.

What was foretelling is that the plant kinda predicted the collapse in the economy, but prior to that it kinda grew and resembled literally a big round bubble that was cloud like.

So Chinese are superstitious, and of course I have another money tree, an el cheapo we bought at Shop Rite. Chinese art also does not favor even numbers. so groups of odd numbers are present in money trees.

A couple of branches died off early on for no apparent reason three years ago. What remains are three stalks that are thin and lanky, long branches that are outstretched and not full. Pretty much more closely resembles bamboo becaus it lacks any girth.

Anyways this is another strange and notable formation, and pretty much it suggests the economy might be overstretched and is kinda sickly, even though the plant continues to grow.

My belief is that inflation is kinda entrenched already, and the economic slowdown suggested by an increase in unemployment numbers is generating wishful thinking for rate cuts that would only exacerbate inflation.

Because debt levels are so high (Governments and consumers) any slowdown likely will be protracted and long, perhaps longer than anything I have experienced.

When you have a slowing economy and high inflation at the same time it is called stagflation. This is where I think we are heading. What I’m saying is get ready…

Around the world other economies are slowing down and Central Banks are cutting interest rates. This results in the U.S. Dollar getting stronger.

Also in the news is that now the U.S. is Germany’s biggest trading partner and not China anymore. Again China is in big trouble economically.

Cal

Last edited:
“Maggie” has a book signing in Dobbs Ferry this afternoon.

This means I have a day off. I’ll be able to plug in and finish setting up the electric guitars I adjusted earlier in the week.

Cal

Had a lot of fun tweaking electric guitars (Telecaster’s). Plugging in indicated a lot of smoothness and fluidity in my playing. Pretty much amplifiers amplify everything, so anything bad is in your face.

As much as you are playing a guitar, you are also playing the amp. I used the Victoria Regal I bartered some old lap steel guitars in a flat trade. Cycling all my electrics through this amp was satisfying and I love the sound. No effects just a cable to the amp.

Victoria builds is known for building bombproof clones of vintage Fender amps. My Regal though is an original design by them, but it has the essence of a Fender Vintage amp with the scooped mids that is the classic sound we all know and love. The thing with this modern design is that any octal tube for the output section can be used, even two different tubes for a blended sound.

I am running a 6L6 for deeper bass and more clean headroom along with a 6V6 for a rounded off top end and some compression. Pretty much I am blending two very different sounding tubes.

Volume at 4 which is not loud, no distortion, but the amp is breathing. Pretty much the sound comes through my hands and fingers in a pure way. I love this amp because of it’s articulation. I have a lot of depth and great dynamics. The way I’m running the amp is pretty much at low power.

I learned why I have all these guitars: each one has its special voice and character.

A surprise is the carved top ended up being the guitar with the best Jazz sound. I mean really superb. Also my Snakehead (One pickup Tele) and the DeMarino another one pickup guitar were surprisingly versatile.

I will tell you that all this created a very relaxing afternoon, a day off of sorts, which is kinda what I needed.

“Maggie’s” event went well. She ended up meeting a fiction writer who was on a fiction panel in Woodstock’s Book Festival who happens to live in Dobbs Ferry. The exchanged contact info.

Just now the sun broke out and it is now sunny.

The garden got a good watering.

Anyways I am pleased.

Cal

Last edited:
When I can, I play acoustic guitar.

Pretty much acoustic playing can help make you a better electric player. The action is higher and also generally the strings are heavier and stiffer than my electrics, although I string my electrics with 12’s.

I can tell by today’s playing plugged in that pretty much I advanced a lot. Still I have to internalize a lot, but things are getting more fluid.

I am pleased by the results today displayed when plugged in.

Cal

Radishes and Arugula have already germinated and spouted. That Mel’s Mix seems to be an ideal blend of a third vermiculite, a third compost, and lastly a third peat moss. Perfect for germinating it seems. This came as a surprise since the weather seems unusually cool. Last night I turned on the heat.

Today is the celebration of Black History, an event that features a panel discussion with descendants of Harriet Tubman, Fredrick Douglas, Harley and Harriet Green, and John Jacob “Rifle Jack” Peterson. The moderator is a professor from Seton Hall. This is being held at a Peekskill local firehouse.

The Peekskill Garden Club also will be selling plants at the waterfront, and at the train station will be a Maker’s Market.

I hope to have time to go to Home Cheapo to buy wood. I need to build a tower for the Wisteria to climb, also need to build trellises for string beans and peas. Don’t know if I’ll have time to build today, but getting the materials on hand is a start.

The tower for the Wisteria I envision building should resemble a tower from an oil field that is 4 sided and tapered. Perhaps like the Eiffel Tower, but different. I figure the base has to be at least 3 feet wide and the height about 9-10 feet. Maybe 12 feet to have some Calzone Factor. Why not?

The Wisteria is placed in the back-backyard in a location that is on top of a slope that borders the dead end that I planted a micro forest of sapling maple trees, not so far from my garden shed that is tucked away and hidden from view. It is only a 4x8 shed, so it was easy to hide.

From road to and from Renold’s Hills the Wisteria would be seen from afar.

Cal

The celebration of Black History was very-very moving. There also was some very important history in Peekskill that was revealed.

Peekskill had an important part of the Abolitionist movement and was part of the Underground Railroad. Harriet Tubman has history here.

The family dependents of John Jacob Peterson (“Rifle Jack”) told the story of how Rifle Jack and another man repealed a landing boat that was released from the “Vulture” a British gunboat. The landing craft was forced to flee back to the ship for safety.

Then the two traveled 5 miles up river from Croton Point where the gunfire exchange happened to Verplank where Fort Lafayette was located to report the micro-battle.

A canon was moved down river and what followed was a two hour canon battle where the British gunboat retreated down river to safety.

Major John Andre somehow was stranded and was captured near Tarrytown trying to get back to the British stronghold of NYC. At this time Westchester County was a big no man’s land. He had plans of West Point and it was discovered Benedict Arnold was a traitor.

Pretty much two men made big history. Rifle Jack was half Black and half Native American. Really unclear if he was a slave or a free man. The three men who captured Major John Andre received pretty much all the credit.

Point here is how history gets dismissed, lost, and even ignored. Think of the bravery of two men verses 20 in a boat, having to courage, and making all the right decisions.

Riffle Jack had 11 children, lived in poverty, but lived till 103. He was 90 when he got his Revolutionary War pension.

A similar canon from Fort Lafayette was donated to the Peekskill Museum. One of Rifle Jack’s relatives had that canon refurbished to be a memorial.

In Peekskill there is a walking tour of the Underground Railroad. The relative of Harriet Tubman spoke of the tunnels that connected locations.

Emotionally I was very moved and touched. I thought of my own story and how it could die with me.

There was talk by a descendant of Fredric Douglas. A point was made that gaining literacy allowed Fredrick Douglas to eventually one day become a free man. Kevin the descendent spoke of how his parents did not impose the legacy or any responsibility upon him growing up. That part of him, the legacy, would catch up with him later when he was more mature. His parents made it a point for Kevin to grow up as a normal kid first.

Kevin’s talk about the responsibility resonated with me. I see how I am a man of action, and I realize I have a story that presently is hidden and secrete. I’m in a space where I could write a history so that it does not disappear upon my death.

The retired professor from Seton Hall is a Peekskill resident. In the time of the Civil War one in 5 humans in our country was Black, so 20% of the population was Black. 187K Blacks fought in the Union Army, and 87K Blacks were killed. A point was made that Emancipation was not given, but was paid in Black blood also. This part of history goes unspoken and is not taught.

Anyways I’m stuck in my dilemma again. What to do?

We went down to the waterfront to the Maker’s Market. It kinda became big this year and grew up. Lots of vendors now, and about twice the size as last year’s.

An artist friend’s son has a vintage T-shirt shop that has an upstairs loft that would make for great pop-up events. You guys know how I’m a good salesman, and I do well snookering people with my charm. Anyways I pitch doing say a weekend pop-up vintage bicycle show.

I have 6 bikes myself, then include “Maggie’s” Yo Betty. I have to talk with my friend A.J. Who has all these cool retro bikes.

Our friend “Apple” has a 70’s vintage Schwinn.

Anyways the hook is pretty much promote retro, do something creative, engage people, and pretty much push our friend’s son’s talent in curating artistic events. Pretty much build out a community space in a space that is not being used.

I already talked with Apple and her only conflict is that she uses the bike as a prop for her flower business on some weekends.

So I didn’t go to Home Cheapo today. Oh-well.

It was a very good day.

Also met a lot of people.

Also did a street shot of this big girl with a sexy/vulgar tattoo on her calf, and this Latino guy on a bike who looked cool. 35 Cron APO on the SL2. I chipped my camera to show him how cool he looked, and I learned he did not speak any English.

BTW at the Black History Celebration I saw Regina my Editor. She saw me take the shot of a young multiracial man who asked a question. Pretty much I had the shot she wanted. All I have to do is crop it to zoom in.

EZ-PZ.

Cal

Last edited:
The rainy weather tomorrow will water the seeds I planted earlier in the week. Things are starting to sprout, and some are still germinating yet to emerge. Anyways not bad weather for what I’m trying to do.

Tomorrow I hope to visit Home Cheapo and buy some lumber to build out a tower and two trellises for beans and peas.

We were suppose to get some seedlings from a friend in Dobbs Ferry yesterday, but that did not happen. Oh-well. I think my plan “B” will be to just get some seeds and plant a crop. I have a 4x5 foot bed I made of “Cal’s-Mix” which is basically 50% cow manure mixed with 50% peat moss. Pretty much the same as Mel’s Mix, but without the vermiculite for added water retention.

Seems like the germination rate of seeds in Mel’s mix is 100%. Seems like a good way to save money easily by starting from seeds instead of more costly seedlings.

If the weather changes from the predicted rain, I’ll do some wood working and build me that tower and the two trellises. Like my printing studio, when constrained for space go vertical.

I have some cedar bracing I did not install on the pergola that I will recycle I think into the tower. They will form for me arches that will be functional and visually decorative. I have 8 of these and with some creative cutting, I should be able to make a decorative foundation, and then a smaller decorative second stage.

My thinking then is install a vertical square column for the Wisteria to climb and spread that sits on top a tall and narrow pyramid that has a chopped top where the square column will emerge.

I like the visual of non horizontal bracing that makes a spiraling diagonal to make the eye do some scoping.

Need to set a post to hang a Japanese beetle trap, and also a yellow jacket trap. I need an out of the way place away from gathering places and plants. These traps use pheromones to lure the insects. You don’t want them to intercept inhabited areas or places that could be sources of food and habitat.

43K miles on a 2015 Audi A4 is not too bad. The car remains fresh. 27K miles in a little more than 3 1/2 years. This fall the car officially will be 11 years old, and at this rate perhaps another decade to get 100K more miles on the odometer. The way I drive and where I drive, it is likely I will get 100K on the odometer before needing new brakes. Pretty much a lot of highway miles, long drives, and no real city driving.

5K miles though since December, but that includes a round trip to the southern end of North Carolina, around 1400-1500 miles for the round trip.

Seems like daily I check in with my friends here to let everyone know what is going on. When “Maggie” sent a I-phone video of our garden to her brothers in North Carolina, pretty much the unspoken message was that we are digging into the Hudson Valley and are not considering moving down to the Carolinas. We are building out our bunker here and are too far into this to either change or stop.

Maggie’s landscape expert brother with all these certifications noted that to have a garden so lush and developed takes a lot of work.

Another way to describe our house besides “cute” is now “charming.” Pretty soon it will be called “magical.”

The 4 Road-A-DEN-Drums along the side of our house are theses 8 foot balls that intertwine. They are just beginning to bloom.

The Japanese Red Maple in the front yard is perhaps a 60-70 year old tree and the leaf cover is like a red cloud.

This tree and the shrubs are true monsters. Mature growth that surrounds an old house built in 1912. An old girl.

So now we have artist friends that are lower than us in the Hudson Valley. At the Maker’s Market Maggie met up with friends that attended the book event in Dobb’s Ferry. Met an artistic couple that have a studio in Croton, but live in Peekskill.

Cal

Today I have a doctor’s appointment, and our hair stylist, Steven, an artist, wants to photograph us.

It seems when I insulate the attic that I can empty the smallest bedroom of the cloths racks that fill it, move my rack of cloths in the master bedroom so I can donate that space to “Maggie,” and then I’ll gain the small bedroom as my studio space.

This small corner room has two windows, a narrow closet that is not deep either, and only measures 7x11 feet, but it is enough to set up my digital studio, have the Jersey Barrier (Epson 7800 24 inch printer), and even my JUKI commercial sewing machine.

So pretty much after much delay I will have a dedicated tiny studio. Now I’m considering a scanner to help me sort through my negatives. Hmmm…

To me sewing is sculpture, and making clothes that are well tailored for me is a really great project. Because I’m a skinny bitch I’m kinda underserved, and pretty much when you are under a size 40 you are not really a man.

I love building things, I’m great at small details, and the best way to learn tailoring is to deconstruct and reconstruct clothing. This is according to designer friends who have MFA’s from Parsons. Pretty much I could buy say a used Paul Smith shirt, take it apart, and resize it. Best if it was an extra large or extra-extra large.

Paul Smith has his textiles custom made for him in Italy.

I’m getting down to the home stretch with the house and yards, so it now is the time to move back into the world of art. When I move some of my gear out of the basement, then I can consider building out a darkroom. Know that the basement is a mess because it is full.

In my micro-studio I can use the ELFA modular shelving systems I have stored in my basement to build out a standing desk and a second siting desk. The Jersey Barrier will tuck under the standing dest. Know that the JUKI and the Jersey Barrier have wheels.

I think I want a new desk top Apple computer to have a large 27 inch screen to match my EIZO. I’m pretty excited after waiting all this time.

BTW I’m conditioning brand new SL3 batteries that are an upgrade with longer life. This required a new firmware upgrade. My SL2 is still a great camera, and I can’t see ever needing a SL3. I got rid of my SL and along with the SL went my two batteries. My SL2 with the new firmware is like a new camera. The SL still is a great camera, but because it lacked ISIS I figure it will go unused.

Lately I’ve been shooting it with the 35 Cron APO. What a high fidelity rig.

Cal

Last edited:
“Maggie” now hates that she is known primarily as a digital influencer. I find this very amusing.

She rants about it, and I mention how it is demeaning to be profiled in that manner.

I became profiled as a tech geek with tech jobs, but I framed it in the context of performance art, that I just played a stereotype, but that is not who I really am. I joke that I should win an academy award for pretending to be clever, and playing a role that society projected upon me.

Think of the sitcom of an artist working for 40 years in a tech environment that included the fourth largest military contractor in the U.S., two National Labs, and the number one Cancer center in the U.S. and possibly the world.

Kinda funny that my Cancer center was the unchallenged number one Cancer center, but right after I was hired the rating by U.S. News and World Report dropped to number 2 and for at least 22 years never recovered.

I mention to my boss the above precise timing of the loss in rating happened when I was hired, and that he should have never hired me, and I joke, “We are number 2,” but he did not think it funny, which made me laugh harder.

Now that I’m financially secure and retired I finally get the last laugh.

Pretty much I went with the flow, I followed a career path that I was allowed entry, and my art skills and building and design talents came in handy. For the most part I built electronic prototypes from drawings. I also kinda worked unsupervised, except for the micro management when I was a Cyclotron Engineer at a major hospital.

Pretty much Maggie had to compromise her own identity and got lost. I’m glad in my case it did not get too far.

Cal

Last edited:
Steve Buscemi was punched in the face in midtown Madhattan Wednesday. The report says a random act of violence.

Steve is 66, my age, but in high school he was a grade ahead. We were fraternity brothers, and if his house was one house closer to mine we would of been next door neighbors.

Anyways, I’m glad I no longer live in the city.

No photo was taken today. Our grandson needed to get picked up from daycare because of a mild fever. We will likely have him tomorrow.

Had the opportunity to mow the lawn today with my new Milwaukee mower. EZ-PZ and takes no time. I even increased the self propelled speed. The batteries only went down in power by a half instead of 3/4’ers the first time. Pretty much like the new SL3 batteries they are getting conditioned.

Did a bit of yard work, odds and ends, but little things add up.

Cal

I thought my stalker moved away, but what happened is she gained a lot of weight and aged a lot to be in disguise. Pretty much unrecognizable lately.

So now I have a stalker who lives about half a block away.

“Maggie” had physical therapy, and I had the grandson. Before the PT we did some lite gardening, and I called the grandson a farmer because he likes not only being outside, but also likes playing in the dirt.

Cal

Steve Buscemi was punched in the face in midtown Madhattan Wednesday. The report says a random act of violence.
Anyways, I’m glad I no longer live in the city.
Cal
Cal,
Please remember that people who don't really have an idea of what new York is like are reading this. It's just not the free for all that the press is reporting. Locals and tourists are mobbing the street, it's really very pre-Covid out there. While somewhat reduced, workers are also back in the office at least part time. While I understand why you are really liking where you live, I would say that if we dropped your town in the middle of Iowa you might not be as thrilled. (Not that there is anything wrong with Iowa)
Joe

Back