What have you just BOUGHT?

You probably don't want my advice on this but when I have an ancient camera with a selenium meter that is no longer performing, I simply disregard the meter entirely and use a hand held meter. OR, if I can find someone who can replace the selenium cell, I have the meter overhauled.

It's not that difficult (or expensive) and it's far better than bodging the adjustments. ANY small modern hand-held meter (a Sekonic Twinmate L-208 is a nice, light, small one) is FAR more sensitive AND accurate than a 1950s era selenium cell in-camera meter. (You can also get one of the little clip-on meters, like the TTArtisan, for $60 new that provides convenience and ease of use...)

G
I agree and do have many vintage hand held meters to use which are still accurate after 60-70 yrs. One of my faves are a few Zeiss Ikophots, which are period correct, and are selenium and even the later battery powered Cds one. I have a nice collection of many meters to choose from, but as always, I like my vintage cameras as correctly operational as possible. Anyway, thanks for the advice and in the time period of using this camera, I’ll have one of those meters along.

...or you might consider an app for your phone. I have one called "my LightMeter" that I think is free. It's a decent alternative and better than mental computations based on a broken meter.

download.jpg
Reality So Subtle 6x9 pinhole camera. I love the pinhole "look", but I'm put off by the usual mushiness of the images. These cameras seem to have the sharpest rendition of the various brands I've researched.
Now the fun part: I want to shoot Ektachrome E100 in this thing. Given how fussy slide film is anyway, this should be a treat when I factor in reciprocity failure, etc. Probably lots of (expensive) testing, and I'll probably be tearing out what little is left of my hair in the process. Let's just say I'm a glutton for punishment.

I have the 6x6 version of the Reality So Subtle camera.

Mushiness in a pinhole camera always comes down to the size of the format and how clean the pinhole is. The larger the format and the more precisely the pinhole is made, the sharper the image. RSS does a good job...

Here's a few from my first test roll a couple of years ago: ReallySoSubtle 6x6 Pinhole 2020

G

(BTW: I also have a limited production 6/66 Pinhole Polaroid that Impossible put out as a joint venture with SuperSense. Talk about hard to figure exposure! Reciprocity with Polaroid SX-70 or 600 B&W film is insane, never mind the already rather tight 3/4 stop of exposure latitude...!!)

Last edited:
Nikonos IV-A with LW-Nikkor 28mm f2.8. Yard sale treasure for $25 Canadian ($18USD).
Was filthy when I found it but but cleaned up nicely. Meter seems to work. Saltwater corrosion-free and battery compartment is clean. Lens is clear and blades are smooth. Will load it up and test this week.
Only a few paragraphs on the Internet about this lens. It’s a sealed splash-proof lens for above-water (LW) and is far less common that the highly regarded 28mm underwater (UW-Nikkor).
Rumored to be a variant of the Series E 28/2.8.

IMG_4853.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 10
A Cinestill 2-bath C41 kit. I'm accumulating a few rolls of exposed C41, and my preferred place for developing is half an hour away on a good traffic day. Since mail costs extra, it would mean driving over there two times, once for drop-off and once for pickup. I'm doing things the lazy (and conversely not lazy) way, I'll develop myself. I want to shoot a couple more rolls at least first, however, to optimize the cost of the developer.

53719586383_342d05a92b_c.jpg

The wide angle bellows and the 100mm arrived today. The wide angle bellows makes movements much smoother.

Back