“New” Fujifilm 400 film

f.hayek

Well-known
Local time
12:12 AM
B&H is now offering this emulsion in 3-packs. It is reportedly made in the US and the (unsubstantiated) rumor mill has this to be repackaged Kodak 400 film. I have read that the specs on the Fujifilm 200 is identical to Kodak 200 Gold so there’s precedent for this. Anyone have solid info on what it actually is?

Last edited:
Its been known for a while now that Fuji has been selling rebranded Kodak film for their 200 speed color neg film. If it is marked as "made in USA" then it is definitely Kodak. No one else makes film in the US anymore.

Wonder if it is= UltraMax 400. I doubt Kodak would resurrect something they haven't made for awhile just for Fuji.
I think this kind of rebranding (and maybe even Cinestill*) may come to an end pending the outcome of the Alaris sale. If Kodak can re-absorb Alaris back into Rochester, then there won't be this kind of 'competition' where Rochester makes/sells film to third parties while simultaneously being slowing the supply of products to Alaris. I haven't heard anything for a month about this though.
*(Of course Cinestill could go back to buying movie film and removing the remjet themselves, but I'm sure they really don't want to!)

On the other hand, Fujifilm did have Acros made in the UK by Ilford but it does not match any emulsion Ilford presently produces. I dropped by B&H this morning and it is in fact labeled, "Made in USA". Perhaps it is UltraMax; the box is labeled, "35mm film for color prints", as UltraMax is tagged; guess it makes more sense than creating a new color formula altogether since it's easier to do so for B&W. I think the Vision 3 250D may be a more interesting film to test out; 'Flic Film' cans it up in Canada at 36 exposures and is available through B&H.

Last edited:
On the other hand, Fujifilm did have Acros made in the UK by Ilford but it does not match any emulsion Ilford presently produces. I dropped by B&H this morning and it is in fact labeled, "Made in USA". Perhaps it is UltraMax; the box is labeled, "35mm film for color prints", as UltraMax is tagged; guess it makes more sense than creating a new color formula altogether since it's easier to do so for B&W. I think the Vision 3 250D may be a more interesting film to test out; 'Flic Film' cans it up in Canada at 36 exposures and is available through B&H.
I have a brick of Fujifilm Acros II in my fridge (expired 10-2021) that's marked "Made in UK". It doesn't say on the box who in the UK made it, but yes, presumably by Ilford. The original Acros is marked "Made in Japan".

I have a brick of Fujifilm Acros II in my fridge (expired 10-2021) that's marked "Made in UK". It doesn't say on the box who in the UK made it, but yes, presumably by Ilford. The original Acros is marked "Made in Japan".
It’s definitely made by Ilford. How much manufacturing is done where, exactly, is unclear, but Ilford are definitely finishing it off.

Back