100 portraits with names recorded - how to do, help!

haring

Established
Local time
5:35 AM
I have a project I am going to work on this week.
At the beginning of a conference I need to take photos of couples/guests AND record their names. Next day I need to print the photos and mark them with the couples/guests names.
I am planning to take the photos, and:
  1. have a blank sheet and i will ask them to fill in their names one after other, and
  2. record a video of the whole portrait session (2hours) including audio where I also voice record their names and the photos I take.
Have you ever done something like this? I was thinking to record audio to the camera file but I have never done this before. I have a 5D mark Iv and a Canon r5. Is this a proper way to ensure all photos are assigned with the right photos? I just don't want to mix up the names and assign the wrong name to the photo.

Going under the premise that you’re photographing everyone in the same spot (like in front of a background, such as a ‘step and repeat’ etc)….

I did over 120 headshots in a few hours for a client of mine earlier this year — what I did was to number each line on several sheets of paper 1 thru 120+ and had each person to “print in please” (very important to have them print their names rather than sign their names). Then, witnessing that each person did “print in” in each successive spot on the sheet of paper, I just matched the images in numerical order with their names (which were also in numerical order). Pretty straightforward.

When I worked for another photographer on jobs like this we used a small dry erase board to keep names with faces. We'd write the subjects' names on the board and take a photo of them holding it, and then proceed to take as many shots of them as we thought necessary before moving on to the next subject.

When I worked for another photographer on jobs like this we used a small dry erase board to keep names with faces. We'd write the subjects' names on the board and take a photo of them holding it, and then proceed to take as many shots of them as we thought necessary before moving on to the next subject.

If working alone, this is the way - with the least risk of errors.
You also verify that you can actually read the name in the process.
If pressed for time, make sure you have at least two white boards (+ pens and wipes), so the next in line can prepare their board while you are shooting.

Going under the premise that you’re photographing everyone in the same spot (like in front of a background, such as a ‘step and repeat’ etc)….

I did over 120 headshots in a few hours for a client of mine earlier this year — what I did was to number each line on several sheets of paper 1 thru 120+ and had each person to “print in please” (very important to have them print their names rather than sign their names). Then, witnessing that each person did “print in” in each successive spot on the sheet of paper, I just matched the images in numerical order with their names (which were also in numerical order). Pretty straightforward.

Thanks! I just have to make sure nobody misses it otherwise all names will be incorrect.

Thanks! I just have to make sure nobody misses it otherwise all names will be incorrect.

Hi again - I think that dry erase board idea is a really good one as well, though I think either method will work fine. Whichever you feel more comfortable doing.

Back