105 f/2.5 Nikkor P - p.c.

MC JC86

Negative Nancy.
Local time
12:12 PM
I've been looking through an assortment of 105mm F/2.5 Nikkor lenses. I had heard that earliest models are very well respected and are optically similar to the RF model (I am referring to F mount lenses herein)

I've noticed a older ones that still have chrome fronts, some of which have had AI'd mounts. I've also noticed non-AI models with black barrels and focusing wrings that still contain the P designation. I'm, admittedly, a noob with this type of thing so I'd love some help.

Which model contains optics similar to that of the Nikon RF model but is in F mount? Only the earliest? Can one tell by serial number? I'm trying to make a choice today and getting confused with some mixed information online, some of it (flickr discussions) being downright inaccurate. Any help is apprecaited.

Basically, I'd like to end up with a 105 f/2.5 Nikkor F mount
that shares the characteristics of it's Nikon RF brother.

Thank you so much for all your help, sorry if I'm ramblinb; half asleep.

Hmm. According to Braczko's Complete Nikon System all 105/2.5 through #500,000 had 5 elements in 3 groups. Beginning with version 4, at 500,001, the formula was changed to 5 elements in 4 groups. There is no mention of a formula change until version 4. Version 4 still had the scalloped focusing ring. The hard rubber ring started with version 5 at #673101. The AI versions didn't start until 890001.

I ordered one.. I'm sure it will be "nice" either way, although I'd prefer the 5/3. I'll know for sure Friday I guess.

I currently own and use a 105 F mount that is in the #400,000 range and appears identical in performance to my S mount 105.

I have heard the that the original 105's RF and the later F mount ones were pretty close in performance, very sharp and have a beautiful Bokeh. I have seen many shots from the F mount ones and I was very impressed with the sharpness and beautiful Bokeh. This is still a very desirable lens and still brings good prices on ebay - Kievman

I have heard the that the original 105's RF and the later F mount ones were pretty close in performance, very sharp and have a beautiful Bokeh. I have seen many shots from the F mount ones and I was very impressed with the sharpness and beautiful Bokeh. This is still a very desirable lens and still brings good prices on ebay - Kievman

Yeah, I know that the RF and early F ones are similar. I'm hoping the one I'm getting from KEH was one of the early ones, they weren't able to tell me the S/n# right away, but since it was $70 I figured I'll just take a chance. It's one with the chrome front, non-ai and marked in CM, which seems to have been done at several times during production, earlier and somewhat later, both within the S/N range jonmanjiro provided. I'm sure it will be "nice" either way.

I have the older sonnar version of the 105 2.5 in F mount I use it on an FM2n. I am very pleased with it.
Here is a shot from the 105 2.5. I guess it has a vintage look but the APX100 in rodinal certainly helps.
U3357I1300647244.SEQ.0.jpg

I find it goes very well with my Industar 26 on my FED3. Here is one fron the Industar 26
U3357I1300646767.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited:
No problem. I find the older 105 2.5 in F mount and my Industar 26 give me what I have been looking for. I need to find a 35mm lens that will go with them as well.

No problem. I find the older 105 2.5 in F mount and my Industar 26 give me what I have been looking for. I need to find a 35mm lens that will go with them as well.

The Nikkor 35mm f2.0 (pre-ai/ai) is one of the finest 35mm I came across, being sharp but also having a vintage feel and depth in the results.

I missed the 35mm O. There was one that sat in my local camera store for two years. I even shot a test roll with it but when I finaly decided I would buy it it was gone. I picked up the 35mm F2.5 E it is a nice small compact lens and produces nice images but renders images differently.

The Nikkor 35mm f2.0 (pre-ai/ai) is one of the finest 35mm I came across, being sharp but also having a vintage feel and depth in the results.

The 2.8 and the O 2.0 35s are next on my list. Right now I'm going to shoot an F or F2 with the 105 with my 3,5cm 1.8 Nikkor on a rangefinder when I want to walk about with 2 cameras at the same time. I love all these old Nikkors and wish I hadn't sold most of mine over the years, just rebuilding the collection now.

I think anyone who wants a quick example of how ridiculous online conversations on seemingly innocuous topics can spiral into insanity should view this thread that I tripped over on Flickr while trying to figure out which 105 to order. http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor/discuss/72157608430677713/

Quickly deteriorates into freakin' out and name callin (mostly due to one party), pretty funny actually

I quit that group a long time ago.

There are external differences in the appearance of the SOnnar and Planar formula 105's. The Sonnar has a thinner focusing ring than does the model that replaced it.

I have several of each type of lens, S-mount, Leica Mount, early "pat pending" F-mount, later Sonnar, multicoated non-AI Planar, and AI Planar. They are all good.

both the earlier rangefinder and early slr lenses are sonnar formula.
in 1973--six months before i ordered an slr version, they changed to a gauss formula. i have both; and even these older versions are two of the great lenses for 35mm cameras.

I had one of the early SLR non AI versions w/ the small rear element. That thing was really sharp! You can pick them up for $60 to $80 I think. It wasn't a Leica R 90 Summicron, but it wasn't $800 either. For one tenth the price, and sharp as a tack, hard to go wrong.

Thanks for the advice guys. I finally got around to testing that lens out, works great really like it.

5729476088_cbe7dbcaf9_z.jpg

5728922861_4a36c9ebe6_z.jpg

5728922843_fca8167b32_z.jpg

5728922825_b16fca7b04_z.jpg

All with Nikon F2, Tri-x @ 400 in D76

Last edited:
Back