110 camera and film discussion

I've just got a Minolta 110 zoom slr and while there are too many things wrong with it to justify getting it fixed as I think the cumulative cost would be too much, I have a couple of observations which may be of interest to those who may be thinking of buying one.

1) Even though at 25mm the image is a little smaller than with a mk2 (0.56x vs 0.68x), in good light outdoors I think the mark one's microprism rangefinder is a little easier to focus at that focal length because with the mk2's split-image rangefinder there is only a tiny amount of movement of one half compared to the other half.

2) In lower light the mk2 is easier to focus at most distances, especially if the object is quite small.

3) There seems to be little difference in brightness of the focusing screens even though the mark one's lens is at f4.5 and the mk2's is at f3.5. However, I have recently bought a second mk2 (with the logo in place of the "o" in "minolta") and its screen is a little darker than both.

4) The mark one's viewfinder is "cooler" in tone than either version of the mk2.

Has anyone heard of, or used,

"Delaware Camera" on Delaware Avenue, in Buffalo NY 14216

for film processing and printing, especially 110 films?

I've just found their listing on Etsy for 110 film processing and printing, though they mention a listing for 35mm film.

Any info would be much appreciated.

My recently bought zoom slr mkII has just died. The battery check button wouldn't light up but the viewfinder display did, so I took it out for its first shoot, alongside my Petri Junior/Half/Compact (the wind on lever of that one is not now properly returning to its start position, I'm hoping that is just lack of use). The MkII allowed me to take 3 shots and the shutter and dispaly stopped working. I wouldn't mind quite so much if I hadn't bought 11 fuji superia 200's, 12 kodak gold ultra 400's, 6 tiger 200's and 4 orca 100's for it.:mad:

My recently bought zoom slr mkII has just died. The battery check button wouldn't light up but the viewfinder display did, so I took it out for its first shoot, alongside my Petri Junior/Half/Compact (the wind on lever of that one is not now properly returning to its start position, I'm hoping that is just lack of use). The MkII allowed me to take 3 shots and the shutter and dispaly stopped working. I wouldn't mind quite so much if I hadn't bought 11 fuji superia 200's, 12 kodak gold ultra 400's, 6 tiger 200's and 4 orca 100's for it.:mad:
Try cleaning the battery contacts with a pencil eraser.

A brand new 110 camera available:

The battery post made me think of a weird problem with my Rollei A110. The manual recommended a PX 27 battery and the only current one I could find was PX 27M. While the mechanical part of the shutter worked, the electronic shutter was still inoperative. After looking at things for a while, I realized the bumps on the end of the battery didn't stick out far enough to clear the removable battery holder and touch the camera contacts. Maybe the bumps are smaller on the modern model of the battery. I cut away the battery holder, snapped the battery in directly and used the remainder of the holder, which forms a panel, to snap back into the camera. It works beautifully now.

Well, I used a pencil rubber to clean the battery contact in the camera and the battery compartment lid and I now get NO response whatever from the battery check button, the viewfinder display and the shutter doesn't fire at all. I thought maybe I should've wiped the the bits of rubber from the contacts, so I did, and I still got no response even though I tried with two different sets of sr44s and one set of LR44s.

Looking at the listing in my "purchase" list, it says there's a 12 month guarantee, so I'm waiting for a response from the seller to see if they can fix it, replace it or give a refund.

Has anyone fixed the Pentax 110 slipping film advance issue? The one I scored from the Flea market back in December I went to test the roll of old kodacolor before I ran the Lomo film through it and seems like its not advancing or it advances very rarely. Yeah I know its double storke.

I bought a working motor drive since the one mine came with was missing the battery cover and badly corroded. But I really do not want to have to use it with the motor drive.

Is it the camera, or the film cartridge? Recently pulled some old Walgreens 110 out to test a Pentax Auto 110. The first roll I put it in advanced to frame one, then I could hear it trying to advance and slipping. The cartridge itself has seized up. Opened another roll, and the whole roll went through with no problem.

I was able to get to the 6th or so frame a few weeks ago when I was shooting random test shots on the roll but I tried to use it again this week and it seemed like I was taking multiple exposures on "6". It seemed very inconsistent and it would occasionally work.

I did try the lomo tiger roll for two shots, and it moved once and didn't move after that.

Test roll back from the Pentax Auto 110. Local shop doesn't scan 110, so I rigged up something to make macro shots of the film. The negatives are plenty sharp, the softness is entirely the result of my attempt to digitize the images.

Pentax PET by Berang Berang, on Flickr

roots by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Had a hard time with the color correction, I suspect due to the film being well expired. Everything looked properly exposed.

Back