110 film discontinued?

Huss

Mentor
Local time
3:55 AM
Lomo 110 film seems to be sold out everywhere.
Supposedly the next batch is coming in June, I sent Lomo an email asking if it is still in production.

:(

Yeah, last of the big film manufacturers to make 110 was Fujifilm and it was 2009. The format was basically dead even a decade prior. I was managing a photo store from 2007 - 2009 and during my time there I saw two rolls of the format come through the shop. It was a pain since the gates on the scanner had to be physically changed and the whole machine rebooted to talk with the 16mm wide film since the thing was connected with a serial port. I'm sure we lost money on those few rolls we processed and printed.
Now that I'm getting into shooting 16mm motion picture, I was thinking about getting a Minolta 16 or maybe even Canon 110ED.
Naa, I'll just use 16mm for what it was made for and leave the still images to masterpieces of film.

Phil Forrest

Lomography reintroduced 110 in 2012. They have (had?) four different types, including a really good 100 ISO B&W film. That now is almost impossible to find, while the colour films are few and far between, but B&H seems to have a little stock. Adorama is sold out, as are most of my local shops.
https://shop.lomography.com/en/films/110-film

While back I bought a complete in case Pentax 110 with lenses etc for 20 bucks. Good buy. My local camera store developed the roll that was left in the camera for a few extra bucks...midwest Apertures Photo Tulsa...great folks.

Roll turned out to be a girls camera making snaps at a football game.

The Pentax 110 system is pretty fascinating as far as cameras go imo...110 was the cell phone/p&s of the 70's as best I remember.

So I'm not the only one with a complete mint outfit bought for a song that's just waiting for the film to be made again...

Regards, David

It's all still in stock at B&H except for the Black & White. They've got the 110 in color. Tiger, Lobster and Peacock. Not sure what those names mean as I have only shot their 110 B&W Orca.

Best,
-Tim

AFAIK Lomography do runs of repacking film into 110.
Betamax will be the next resurgence. All the old guys who can still CLA the cameras and players will finally start raking it in.
Not sure about Betamax but I can tell you the VHS aesthetic is quite appreciated and the Cassette format is in vogue. New music is being released on this format.

If you've seen Guardians Of The Galaxy, how fun for the format does that the most appreciated belonging of a protagonist is a Walkman and a mixtape inherited from his mom?

I f you are careful, a 110 cartridge can be opened and reloaded with 16mm film. You need to save the black paper for backing. Some 110 cameras can shoot with reloads, but some require the special indexing holes on the genuine 110 film. The Pentax 110 can shoot reloaded film!

Lomography reintroduced 110 in 2012. They have (had?) four different types, including a really good 100 ISO B&W film. That now is almost impossible to find, while the colour films are few and far between, but B&H seems to have a little stock. Adorama is sold out, as are most of my local shops.
https://shop.lomography.com/en/films/110-film

Maybe they used Acros 100 for the B&W.

PF

While back I bought a complete in case Pentax 110 with lenses etc for 20 bucks. Good buy. My local camera store developed the roll that was left in the camera for a few extra bucks...midwest Apertures Photo Tulsa...great folks.

Roll turned out to be a girls camera making snaps at a football game.

The Pentax 110 system is pretty fascinating as far as cameras go imo...110 was the cell phone/p&s of the 70's as best I remember.

I once owned a Sedic 110 system camera, which pre-dated the Pentax 110. It was still a pocket camera style, but had all the attachments the Pentax came out with later on, with the exception of interchangeable lenses. I only shot one roll through it, as it was quite challenged in the quality department. The winder sounded like it was grinding coffee, and the camera started jamming up. I was going to get a Pentax outfit later on to show how much the format had improved, but after my experience with the Minolta 110 Zoom MkII, I gave up on 110.

PF

Noticed same. Don’t know who made carts or what film loaded. Maybe their supplier went under. Strangely the only viable 16mm camera to shoot now is the Minolta 16 series because you can still find used cartridges (even some NOS) and they are easy to reload. The Minolta MGs and QT models are the only two with the larger format similar to 110 size negs. The other models used a smaller 10X14mm format size.

Strangely the only viable 16mm camera to shoot now is the Minolta 16 series because you can still find used cartridges (even some NOS) and they are easy to reload. The Minolta MGs and QT models are the only two with the larger format similar to 110 size negs. The other models used a smaller 10X14mm format size.

Actually, there are several 16mm cameras that can still be used. I have cassettes for Mamiya 16, Microma, Rollei 16 (same as Edixa), Gami, and a few others. They are all easy to reload. If anybody needs a film cassette for their camera, let me know. My favorite submini is still Minox even though the frame size is much smaller, I usually get superior results!

Actually, there are several 16mm cameras that can still be used. I have cassettes for Mamiya 16, Microma, Rollei 16 (same as Edixa), Gami, and a few others. They are all easy to reload. If anybody needs a film cassette for their camera, let me know. My favorite submini is still Minox even though the frame size is much smaller, I usually get superior results!

I have the Mamiya 16 Super. I like it because you can focus the lens from 1 ft. to infinity, no fooling around with aux lenses to change focus as used on the Minolta 16II. The problem has been finding cartridges for it. they can be very expensive when they turn up. I finally acquired 4, enough for two loaded rolls, 2 metal and 2 plastic. I have 10 or so good Minolta cassettes plus a couple of ones with broken bridges. I'm going to load the feed side of those broken Minolta cassettes and then space them to work in the Mamiya 16. That way as I reach the end of the roll I can continue to advance them completely into the Mamiya take up cassette.

I also have a IIIs Minox and of course the lens focuses down to 8 inches and fortunately mine came with the measuring chain. I find the Minox cassettes easy to obtain, usually I look for NOS on e-bay, dump the old film and reload with slit down 35mm. The Minox cassettes are fragile though, or maybe I'm just clumsy. I already broke the bridge on one of my cassettes.

The Lomo B&W 110 cartridges snap apart very easily, compared to old Kodak ones I've used. Just a few twists back and forth and they crack along the seems. Sometimes you need to give a little extra push with a fingernail, but overall, pretty easy. The old Kodak 110 cartridges you had to cut apart with and X-acto Knife and then they wouldn't seal as well.

Best,
-Tim

Lomo 110 film seems to be sold out everywhere.
Supposedly the next batch is coming in June, I sent Lomo an email asking if it is still in production.

:(

They still appear to have 110 film available for sale on their website. I've never seen a lot of Lomography film for sale locally... only at one local camera shop.

Scott

Back