120 Ektachrome E100

Gordon Coale

Well-known
Local time
6:15 PM
Some 6x6 Ektachrome E100 images on the way. Nothing like big transparencies.

9y3C8cc8hgpkxCq_w2rlIsF7690EHfiJGUGRiR_ndkwUSYi8JQ9HFsRRTqNfSR3y9dAAxsXiWdIAAUH0IFzlvJMkUosVS9bjhBBRkDW-Ni1Ul8IOteBL7xFTFfGJYzZkcPiLQprXkA=w2400

Hi, Gordon,

It has been awhile since I did that, too.:(

Somehow I came across your thread first thing, and I am really looking forward to your new 120 E100 images!!!:):):)

That was my observation too, 35mm E100 isn't super sharp, but it does sharpen up nicely in PS. Fine grain though.

EK8.jpg

Jim B.

I used the 'new' E100 35mm. It is really beautiful, but I felt in was a little soft. Maybe I'm wrong or I made a bunch of focusing errors. The 120 should at least help me out.

It was not your fault, E100 is definitely much softer than former Elitechrome 100 and E100G. That is quite dissappointing.
And Provia 100F is much sharper than current E100 as well. You also see that when you look at the film data sheets: MTF for E100 is much lower than MTF function for Provia 100F.

E100 is also contrastier (less latitude) than Provia 100F. And a bit more on the cool side compared to Provia.
E100 is a good film, but Provia remains the champion of natural-color reversal films.

Meanwhile I have shot quite a lot E100 35mm and 120. Often in direct comparison to Provia 100F.

And I can confirm what the others here have written that E100 cannot compete in resolution and sharpness with Provia. Provia remains significantly better in this regard. Grain is extremely fine with both films and on the same level.
Another advantages of Provia are its better exposure latitude and its unsurpassed record-level reciprocity characteristic (no compensation needed up to two minutes!!).
Concerning color rendition it is more a matter of taste, I think:
Provia is neutral balanced, but a bit warmer than E100.
E100 is neutral balanced, but a bit cooler than Provia.
Both films have very good skin tones.
E100 sometimes has a slight greenish tint in the shadows, which I don't like so much.

Cheers, Jan

Last edited:
It was not your fault, E100 is definitely much softer than former Elitechrome 100 and E100G. That is quite dissappointing.
And Provia 100F is much sharper than current E100 as well. You also see that when you look at the film data sheets: MTF for E100 is much lower than MTF function for Provia 100F.

E100 is also contrastier (less latitude) than Provia 100F. And a bit more on the cool side compared to Provia.
E100 is a good film, but Provia remains the champion of natural-color reversal films.

RE: Contrast: I almost felt that I needed to have a fill flash with me to use E100. Like on this one:

EktaChrome 100 (NEW) by John Carter, on Flickr

Struggling to understand how, other than as a byproduct of grain structure, one film can be significantly “sharper” than another similar film.

I used the 'new' E100 35mm. It is really beautiful, but I felt in was a little soft...

I thought exactly the same, and my roll came with defects on the roll on most frames.

Will give it a go another time, perhaps with a higher contrast lens.

48590725921_7a013369a4_c.jpg

Leica M3, Leitz Summicron 50/2 DR, 81a Warming Filter, Ektachrome e100 (2019)

I can confirm what you all have reported.

My experience after about 40 rolls of Ektachrome E100, both 35mm and 120:
- E100 is softer, less sharp than former E100G, and much softer than Provia 100F and both Velvias
- resolution is also definitely better with Provia and Velvia
- Provia 100F has better dynamic range
- E100 is a bit on cooler side, Provia has a bit warmer color
- E100 lacks speed: I've got my best results with ISO 80; whereas Provia has full box speed.

Provia 100F remains the best natural color slide film.

Back