1958 Leica M3 Double Stroke and Elmar M 5cm f/2.8 Goodwill find of a lifetime.

Seems like the dirtier grungier goodwills (ie, the ones that sell partial bottles of shampoo, broken open cases of Depends, condoms, etc) have better stuff. The nicer cleaner stores post their stuff up for auction or put it in the display case.

hahaha......classic

You just have to put in the time. There probably aren't many Leicas to be found but plenty of other great cameras. I've been stopping at Goodwills for a few years, I used to do it 2-3 times a week. The well is drying up though and Goodwill has figured out they can get more money for cameras on their auction site than in the store.

Get the f*ck outta here! I've definitely put in my time (in years) at Goodwill, but no damn M3's! Best I've got is a $5 Yashica T4, and a $20 vintage pair of Zeiss bino's.
So maybe I will be the one to get the $12.99 M9! Congrats

Sweet! Man, I thought my $7 Canonet was a score.

Portland GWs are cool. I found some great funk records last time I went, which would never be put out in Seattle.

Wow! Congrats!!

I'm in Portland as well and visit pretty regularly. Just so I can continue to hate myself for not finding this... may I ask what Goodwill it was?

Wow! Congrats!!

I'm in Portland as well and visit pretty regularly. Just so I can continue to hate myself for not finding this... may I ask what Goodwill it was?

It was one of the stores out in Gresham near Division I think. I was working out there for a few days, it isn't one I've ever been to before.

It was one of the stores out in Gresham near Division I think. I was working out there for a few days, it isn't one I've ever been to before.

Ah yeah I never go out that deep unless I'm out there for something. In July I had great luck in Beaverton. But August has been crap for me repeatedly.

Again congrats on the score! That's a find of a lifetime!

LeicaFan...

Is that your personal opinion ???

Or are you just trying to be smart ???

George

I'm not trying to be smart. Sorry if I came off that way.

The reality is that Goodwill cannot price every item at its true value. Like tstermitz said, Goodwill receives items as donations. Every sale is a profit.

The buyer cannot be faulted for the mistake of the seller. He paid their asking price. Everybody is happy.

Great find ... well done.
Those type of shops in the UK are usually very price aware so there are few bargains like that to be found.

The financial concessions which such stores receive (in the UK) makes competition increasingly difficult for any small retailers.

Why does this never happen to me?! :(

Seriously though, congratulations on finding such an awesome deal!

Antique shops used to be good places to find premium gear but haven't seen anything but junk in several years.

Over the past few years I found two like new Nikon F with standard prism & 50 f1.4 lenses and one had the late model coupled meter that still worked. They were very cheap. Also found a "BABY" Deardorff 4x5 with case, 210 Tessar in an Ilex, 4 new wood holders in the original packing. All were as new for $800. This doesn't sound cheap but only 500 were made and tge last was in the 40's and theyre very rare. I used the camera for several and sold it for 5 times what I paid. Also found a major find of a like new IIIG with 50 Summicron, M2 Ex+ and mint 50 elmar 2.8 and 7 more Leica lenses including a like new 8 element 35 Summicron, Elmarit 90, Zeiss Sonnar pre war, two visoflexes I & II adapters, filters, table top tripod etc all in near new condition for $1200.

Congrats and greetings from down under! I bought a Leica CL with Summicron-C for $10 from Salvos, but I wasn't that lucky with the body. The shutter was jammed, but I bought a working CL from Youxin Ye and sold the defect body for $125. I keep checking them and hope I will find something precious again

Back