1960s Flashmatic Tech Question: Konica Auto SE.

das

Well-known
Local time
1:17 PM
If anyone knows or can figure out the answer, I would be much obliged.

I have a Konica Auto SE that has Flashmatic Tech. The shutter is electronically controlled and will switch to 1/30 if the control ring on the lens is set to any of a number of different settings for guide numbers - 10, 14, 20, 28, etc. I imagine that the GN settings will tell the camera to set the appropriate aperture given the actual focusing distance to the subject.

BUT, are the GNs coupled to the ASA dial? The SE manual is entirely vague on this point - it just says to set the GN that is indicated on the flash packaging. So, if I have a flash that has a GN at 30m at ASA 100, but am using 400 speed film, would I set it at GN 30 or compensate to GN 60? The film speed on the SE is set on a separate dial on the lens itself, so maybe it would compensate automatically or maybe it wouldn't.

I guess I can take a bunch of test shots, but before wasting some film, does anyone know the answer? Thanks!

A pure guess, but I'd venture that the ASA dial is not synced to the GN. This is the way it works on the S3.

Reactions: das
Back