1st Time TLR Owner

Bobonli

Established
Local time
1:59 AM
As the title states, I received my first camera Friday, a Rolleicord Va. As someone who has primarily shot SLRs since the early 80's it's quite a new experience. I have a couple of observations and questions for those of you who realized how cool these cameras are long before me.

• This is a mechanical marvel. A lot going on in terms of engineering and the construction quality is impressive.
  • The case is also well thought-out but from a practical walk around and shoot aspect it's a PITA to deal with. It definitely slows things down. It's coming off.
  • Focusing is an entirely new experience for me, sort of. Many years ago I took a year long excursion into LF with a 4x5 camera. This reminds me of that, except my eyesight is 20 years worse!
  • De-coupling the shutter speed and aperture is also a new experience
  • I really like the handling of 120 film. And the square format. It feels like you're doing something substantial.
Some questions:
  • Oleson or Maxwell? I've done a little research about replacement, brighter screens, enough to realize that some people have issues focusing on the Oleson even though it's brighter. My screen is fine outdoors, no issues seeing the image. Not so good indoors.
  • Please share tips on focusing. I'm coming from autofocus, RF and split image screens, I'm accustomed to seeing things line up. I'm relying on the magnifier and obsessing, waiting for what I think is a sharp overall image to appear
    • should I get in the habit of always wearing my eyeglasses (reading RX) when shooting. I don't need them for the other cameras, but those are held against the eye
  • Is there a good source for a lens hood, UV/yellow filter BAY accessories, or is it just a matter of checking Ebay?
I'd be grateful for any other tips people can offer a first time user. Thank you.

(funny story: I was unpacking the camera and my wife said "My mom had that camera. I threw it out years ago. I wish you had told me you wanted it" )

I like Maxwell screens but if you have earlier bodies with the waist level screwed on not user removable then the Mamiya RB/RZ 6x7 screens are the best. I think it’s the A screen but do some research. The tech will cut it to size, collimate and install with your CLA. I have been shooting TLRs for 20 years and never sold any of my Rollei’s because I know I’ll come back to them one day.

I don’t like the split/microprism screens. Plain matte is easier to focus…..for me. With split screen you need to find straight lines on your subject to line up the image and that slows you down. Focusing on a plain ground glass is much faster. Takes practice. I shoot street and the subject tend to be moving so that method works for me. For stationary subjects none of this really matters. Speaking of which, your preferred subject matter will dictate how you shoot. If your subject is 20 feet away then don’t sweat the fine focusing. It’s a TLR so you can handhold at slower speeds. Get use to using the neck strap to stabilise the camera. Takes practice that’s all.

I bought my cameras and accessories decades ago from KEH when they come up for sale. I see they don’t have much anymore. You can post a WTB ad here and the usual forums. There are cheap Chinese made hoods on eBay and they fit fine.

Last edited:
For the money, the Oleson screen is superb and much less expensive than the Maxwell. His service and communication are top notch, and a visit to the website will show all the custom gridline options, in addition to your choice of split image, microprism, and plain focusing spots. Despite each screen being custom made, they ship same day or next. Highly recommended; I like the microprism choice for my TLRs.
And congratulations on your new 'cord! Beautiful camera, isn't it?

Last edited:
I have a Vb. Also two Rolleiflex Ts and a 3.5E2. For many years the Ts, bought secondhand, were my favorite TLRs as I had 16 exposure kits with them, and with a little creative cranking I got 17 exposures on a 120 film roll. Now the Vb is my favorite as mine came with 16 and 24 exposure kits.

Offhand I can think of only one 'downer' with the Vb. The push-push shutter lever annoys me and I have to work carefully to avoid tilting the camera (and getting lopsided images). A Rollei shutter button made for the 'cord is available (some on Ebay), but an be expensive. So I live with that darn lever. Using the Rolleigrip and a cable release reduces this 'problem' to a minor one, but I also happen to dislike the grip and I use a generic brand grip I bought in the 1980s with that odd item once fondly known as "the Rollei mating device". Don't get one and expect litters of baby Rolleis, tho'. Bad joke, yes, I know. Hmmm.

Mine has the split image screen. I shoot mostly static images (like architecture), so it suits me. YMMD.

If saving money is important, consider bayonet I accessories made by other brands. Yashica made filters and close-up lenses and IRRC a clip-on lens hood in the '50s and '60s. In fact you need very few accessories. Do you have a clip-on strap? If yes, use it in place of the infamous 'never ready' case. I have a 'cord case for mine but it stays in my camera gear cabinet at home.

I like the images from the Zeiss Xenar. The Tessars on my 'flex Ts are lauded as having more 'character' than the Xenar, but I've never noticed any differences between negatives. The Planar on my 3.5E2 is an entirely different matter, it produces a 'glow' I've not seen in the other lenses, but that's entirely BTW.

A 16 exposure kit could well be the best item you can buy. I don't use the 24 kit all that much, but it does give me vertical landscapes if I want images that small to work with. I get super good definition and sharpness even with the 24 kit, tho. A 35mm film back is available if ou can find one. Mine dates to 1950 and came with its original box and instructions. I bought it 20+ years ago and have maybe used it 10 times, so it isn't an accessory I particularly dote on.

Enjoy your Rolleicord, it's an entirely different world of photography and with a little creative input, it will open many new doors for your image-making. The world viewed through a Roller TLR screen is a different place from that seen with an SLR.

As a next step, you could consider buying a Job tank and some B&W chemistry and do your own film processing. I do all my D&P at home, which is great fun and, for me, even more satisfying, there is nothing quite like opening that tank after fixing and rinsing and seeing an entire roll of 120 negatives I shot earlier that day.

Now go out and enjoy...

I second what DownUnder says, with one caveat: Yashica (and other brands such as Walz) Bay 1 accessories are just slightly different from Rollei's. If you use them, they will work, but the fit can be sloppy. However, Kenko filters (known to us here in the US as Hoya) fit well and are of good quality; there may be others that fit well, too. If you can try the accessory, do so, as the sloppiness issue is not consistent. I would definitely go with a Rollei hood, for a tight fit.

I have the Oleson screen with a 9 grid and the split prism. Much better screen and much less expensive (1/3 the price of Maxwell) after lots of research

I focus first with the magnifier, the flip it out of the way and compose, the make the image.

I don't have too much trouble with the lever but after learning about it in your last thread I found this at a reasonable price and may make it my Christmas present to myself. That or a E screen for my Nikon F4 ... :unsure:

I don’t like the Maxwell. It’s bright but the contrast which is important for focusing is lower than the Oleson. I bought an Oleson and found it OK for my eyes but went back to the original Rollei screen in my 3.5F. Although the original screen is a little darker the image snaps in and out of focus in the VF and is much better for my eyes. I also like that mine is a microprism / split image screens.

You can find an exact reproduction of the metal Rollei shade on EBay. You can’t tell any difference other than price. Look for a Bay 1 shade.

Great camera you got. Have fun.

As a next step, you could consider buying a Job tank and some B&W chemistry and do your own film processing. I do all my D&P at home, which is great fun and, for me, even more satisfying, there is nothing quite like opening that tank after fixing and rinsing and seeing an entire roll of 120 negatives I shot earlier that day.

Now go out and enjoy...
I already do my own 35mm and as of last weekend 6x6 B&W. I bought a Holga a couple of weeks ago as a "test." Developed in my Patterson tank and when I saw actual images knew I needed to buy a real camera. I just re-taught myself how to scan using my old Epson v750...Scanner needed 4+ years of software updates. 6x6 is pretty unforgiving when it comes to dust when scanning!

I shot the first roll on the Rollei yesterday. Have to wait until the kitchen is free to develop.

However, Kenko filters (known to us here in the US as Hoya) fit well and are of good quality; there may be others that fit well, too.
I'm guessing the Hoya filters are not new, since I cannot find any with bayonet mounts on B&H. Is this a situation where I have to McGyyver something using adapters?

I'm guessing the Hoya filters are not new, since I cannot find any with bayonet mounts on B&H. Is this a situation where I have to McGyyver something using adapters?
Just look for Bay 1 on ebay. It's easiest and cheapest. Any will do but I find used Rollei ones personally.

Tiffen made a Series #5 adapter for f3.5 Rollei TLRs. There are a couple on the 'Bay right now.

Regarding the magnifying lens over the viewfinder screen, you can use it without having the camera up at your head.

Last edited:
No, the Kenko/Hoya are not being made any longer. But there are also new Bay 1 UV filters that are front-threaded for 37mm, and thus function as Bay 1/37mm step-up adapters. Nice quality, made by Fotasy, and inexpensive. You can find them online with a little digging. A good option if you don't want to deal with the whole bayonet thing. You can buy two, one for each lens, a couple of 37mm caps, and an inexpensive 37mm screw-in hood, and be good to go. Not "authentic" Rollei equipment, though, and that's very important to some folks.
It seems there are a lot of new accessories for classic cameras online, made in China and very inexpensive. Many are nice quality!

Congratulations on your new TLR! These have been my favorite cameras for many years.

With the waist-level finder (WLF), you view the image with both eyes, which gives a different sense of composition from looking through an eye-level finder (ELF) with one eye. I find it much like laying out the composition on a canvas. Also, I'm more sensitive to alignments with a WLF than I am with an ELF. (It also helps that I use finder screens with a grid - and no focusing aid - on them.)

I take my time with the focus, jockeying it back and forth until I'm satisfied that I got it. I have ten TLRs, and I have a Maxwell screen with a grid and no focusing aid in my Minolta Autocord. I have really been happy with it. A central focusing aid might be helpful if you are hand-holding the camera, but I normally shoot my TLRs on a tripod, in which case, I need to be able to focus from any part of the screen.

Bay 1/Bayonet 1/B30 lens accessories are plentiful on eBay and go for reasonable prices, even the Rollei items. (When you get into Bay 2 and Bay 3, the prices go up substantially.)

There are some very inexpensive lens hoods, made in China, available on eBay. From what I've seen, these lens hoods mount onto the inner bayonet, which is normally for filters, rather than the outer bayonet, which is for lens hoods. This isn't a problem if your filters have an outer bayonet of their own, but many, if not most, filters don't. So, such a hood could preclude your ability to use filters.

Enjoy your new TLR!

- Murray

A couple of images from the new to me TLR

53404706609_401873b6d2_h.jpg

53404816190_135490d6df_h.jpg

Back