21mm For Film Leica M

if you can show off the IIIf with the TTArtisan viewfinder I'd much appreciate it, I'm using same lens but with Voigtlander plastic VF and while the view is better than in Leitz VF the looks kinda sucks.
JB, In what way do you find the view better than the Leitz finders? I have a metal CV 35 finder (because it's smaller and more discrete than the SBLOO ) and other than that the Leitz metal ones for 21/28/50. I've been apprehensive about the CV finders with plastic housing & feet as i have seen them break.....

The Zeiss finder view is glorious. I reckon a scribed cross hair would have been good like the Hasselblad focussing screen. I find the M5 is very good with the 21. Its bigger size allows a better feel for horizontal level and flatness of the film plane parallel to the subject. My two lug M5 allows a lot of the right hand to wrap around the camera.

I love my Super Angulon 21/4. I also have an Avenon 21/2.8 LTM which is marvelous lens on digital and film. Also have the Super Angulon 21/3.4 (M only). Maybe some more -:). I had the VC 21 LTM and just didn't cotton to it. The Avenon is something of a rare bird and just a few years ago sold for $800~$1000. Now seems to be selling around the $500 mark, don't know why. Only down to the Avenon in my opinion is the size. Still smaller than the Zeiss 21.

Attachments

• Leica IIIC with SA.jpg
    Leica IIIC with SA.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Leica never made a 21 LTM. They made a 21 M mount with a semi-permanent attached LTM to M adapter. I think they did this to get people to buy the M3. One little grub screw unscrewed and that 21 SA M mount becomes a 21 SA LTM

I have 21/4 Skopar & it's finder too. You'll like it I think. I honestly don't use it often but it's always great when I do.

Enjoy!

JB, In what way do you find the view better than the Leitz finders? I have a metal CV 35 finder (because it's smaller and more discrete than the SBLOO ) and other than that the Leitz metal ones for 21/28/50. I've been apprehensive about the CV finders with plastic housing & feet as i have seen them break.....
I can see more around the framelines also I find the overall clarity better, and I compared it to both metal and plastic Leitz 21mm finders. Regarding 35 CV finder I also like it better than SBLOO.

if you can show off the IIIf with the TTArtisan viewfinder I'd much appreciate it, I'm using same lens but with Voigtlander plastic VF and while the view is better than in Leitz VF the looks kinda sucks.

As promised. Very clear with good eye relief. Still experimenting to see how close the angle of view is with the lens.

Attachments

• 20240529_114018.jpg
    20240529_114018.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240529_113945.jpg
    20240529_113945.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 15
I agree that the newer Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 is absolutely fantastic. As close to technical distortion control perfection as I have seen.

But I also love the older 1950s Zeiss 21mm f/4.5. Its distortion control is also fantastic, but it's really an f/8 - f/11 lens for best results and has some questionable real-world ergonomics with its aperture/focusing controls. Word on the street is that someone has figured out a cheap and easy way to modify these to work on Coiro/Amedeo Leica M adapters with RF coupling, while retaining its ability to work on the original Contax/Nikon S mount. Just sent mine off to get it done. Despite the posts about it, I could not get an unmodified 21mm f/4.5 to mount with the Amedeo LTM adapter on a Leica M, Canon rangefinder, or a Bessa R4. Must only work with Barnacks.

I've shot a bit with the Skopar and Artisan finder now on both a IIIf and M2. One thing I didn't really think about while I was testing was the that flash shoe axis is not the same as the lens axis. The finder ends up being somewhat to the right of the taking axis. This is more pronounced on the M5 (see below). But, it's a matter of learning to eyeball it. After all, aux finders are never going to be more accurate than the in-camera finder, which in turn is never going to be like an SLR - it's the joy of a rangefinder system ;)

Attachments

• 20240530_133359.jpg
    20240530_133359.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 7
One vote for the Zeiss Biogon 21mm f2.8. A superb 21 on film and digital. Lots of contrast and pop, very sharp, and minimal distortion. It's in my travel kit along with 35 and 50, shooting most of the day until the sun goes down.

Back