28mm Elmarit version 3 or 4

orenrcohen

Established
Local time
6:46 AM
Looking for your guidance. I am looking at 2 used Leica 28mm Elmarit for my R-D1. One is a Canadian made version 3 circa 1989. The other is a German version 4 circa 1994. Can anyone weigh in on the realative benefits of the two? Deciding between them. Thanks in advance.

I have the IV and it is a great lens. If you can get it with the 124547 hood, it has a cut-out so less of the viewfinder is blocked. I believe the III and the ASPH hoods block more of the VF, but I may be mistaken. I have read other opinions that the quality of the IV is equal or better than the ASPH version. It is my second most used lens on the M8.

A good place to check images is the M-Mount Flickr group here...

Version III
http://www.flickr.com/groups/86731438@N00/pool/tags/LeicaElmarit28mmf2.8III

Version IV
http://www.flickr.com/groups/86731438@N00/pool/tags/LeicaElmarit28mmf2.8IV

elmarit 28

elmarit 28

28 is one of my all around favorite focal lengths, especially on film, and very nice on the rd1. i currently have the version 4, and it is definitely sweet, it handles light beautifully. i had a canadian 3rd version and i was very pleased to own that lens, and reluctantly used it in a trade. i had no issues with it whatsoever. before that i used the cv 28/3.5 and still have it, and find it very nice, especially for b&w work. and it is so compact! i don't think i'll ever part with it.

last i looked, the price differences between the 3rd and 4th versions was noticeable, with the 4th being pretty competitive with the current asph elmarit 28 (which is very nice too, and pretty compact in comparison). don't know your budget constraints or prices of the lenses you're looking at, but some say the 4th is pretty special. the 3rd isn't anything to pass on, but between the 2 i'm happy to have the 4th version on my rd1.

ps-some examples are in my folders at http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/artpaper/ and the lens versions are noted.

Last edited:
Any difference in the way the 3 draws vs. the 4? Is one much more contrasty than the other? I mostly shoot bw on RD1..

The III is ridiculously large for a f2.8. I would get the IV or ASPH, my experience from fondling those three.

martin

28s

28s

as i recall, both versions 3 & 4, are pretty similar in size, and close to the 28 summicron. the current elmarit 28 asph is very nice, and a very nice size.
as in my earlier post, i'm happy to have the 4th version, and would recommend it.
let us know what you decide.

28mm Elmarit version 3

28mm Elmarit version 3

I recently bought one of these. I've had several 28mm's, both ultrons, 28mm elmarit version IV, and minolta rokkor 28, and they have all been nice lenses. But... the version 3 I now have gives a very nice 3d effect for a wide angle lens even for objects that are quite far from the camera, I really like the look of the effect and this is the 28 that I will keep for a very long time. And, of course, the Leica colors are there, very pastel when called for and a film look to them. Others can say what they want about all the other contenders regarding sharpness, etc. but there is a good reason to stay with Leica, the total package is second to none.

Anybody know where to find something that explains the different specs among all of the older Elmarits?

Hello...

I am plan to buy 28 ver III or IV, too. at local store in NYC III is 1k, IV is 1.3k ( both in Exx++ condition). I didnt got conclusion... Any comment that I should pay 300 bucks more for IV instead (old big boy and same age as me) III.

pls guide me for my m8 + few M6 use, I cant thank you enough.

Hmm, I've had version 3 and the asph. Both are very nice, but they're different in the way they render. The asph is more contrasty in comparison. The 3rd renders very nicely and a little more gently contrast wise, the only drawback being that if flares badly if pointed in the direction of the light. I found it though to give very film like rendering on the M8 when I had that camera. Of course it's quite a bit larger than the asph.

That said, I did the search that lead me to this thread to find out something about the 4th version..

I have had 3 and 4 and love them both. Bear in mind that you get more viewfinder blockage with 3 as it's a longer lens but for my photography I got used to that quickly. Whichever you have remember differences aren't likely to be crucial; the designs are both damn good!

OP was 8 years ago. My guess he has made a decision by now.

However, I'm partial to the v4. I appreciate the smaller size. The ASPH is even smaller...but I already got the v4 and plenty happy.

I think there is now even a v6 of the elmarit 28...or was that just the summicron? Perhaps a year ago. I think the main "improvement" is the screw-stop hood. Can't remember if optics were improved or not.

Back