28mm lens help!

orendanger

Local time
4:46 AM
hello! im shooting on a budget and am looking for a 28mm lens...
the options are
canon 28 f2.8 LTM
canon 28 f3.5 LTM
minolta 28 f2.8 M mount
all about the same price.. now the real budget option
orion 15 28 f6 (not loveing it)
i have a jupiter 12 that i love but on the rd1 its a bit narrow

The Minolta would be my choice, of course if you can find one without white spots! Both Canon are great too!

I have the Canon 28 f3.5 LTM. This is a lovely lens in every way with one caveat, which is that it doesn't give its best performance until f11. The f2.8 is supposed to be sharper at wider apertures and is well known as the lens that Gary Winogrand used for much of his street photography. I think you'll find that an f2.8 is quite a bit more expensive than an f3.5 in comparable condition.

Industar 69 28 2.8. It worked perfectly on M8, should do it on smaller Epson sensor.
It is 10$ all metal and glass, easy to allign lens. It is very tiny lens. No RF cam, but I never have problems with it on M8 with scale focusing.

"Schneideritis". Nearly every 28 M Rokkor suffers from white spots.
Despite the imperfect look the Rokkor is still a stellar performer. I'd get the Rokkor.

Industar 69 28 2.8.
I have no idea how to fix the focus because of the flange distance , I have one but I’m also looking for something coupled to complete my kit;)

Jupiter 12
Jupiter 8
*insert 28mm* lol

I am
Thinking of getting later on both 7 artisans lenses, starting with the 35

What white spots?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=28mm+minolta+white+spots

It's a known problem that doesn't really affect performance too badly. I owned one with white spots and it caused a bit of veiling flare. I sold it but not because of the white spots but because I wanted a 21mm Super Angulon.

Another budget lens you should look at is the Kobalux/Avenon/Pasoptik. That lens is a pancake and it is killer. I loved mine and never should have sold it.
A good alternative is the 28mm f/3.5 Nikkor. They are all over the place in Nikon RF mount, pretty cheap but that doesn't help you unless you have an Amedeo adapter or a Nikon RF. If you can find it in LTM, it is a fantastic lens.

No matter what you pick, you can't go wrong. You could even do well by getting an adapter to put an SLR lens of the mount of your choice onto your Leica. Lots of good M42 glass out there as well as Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Konica, Vivitar, the list goes on. With a wide angle and decent light you're easily going to be covered by depth of field anyway, so guess away at your distance.

I am Thinking of getting later on both 7 artisans lenses, starting with the 35

If you're unsure of adjusting the Industar 69 for proper lens registration, you may not want to invest in the 7 Artisans because they have provision for precision adjustment by the user to get the lens dialed in to your camera body.

For the RD1 you may want to go straight for a 21mm or even 15mm CV lens. That is the body that got me wanting both the 21mm focal length as well as a 15 for a good wide angle. 28mm is just too close to 35mm on a crop sensor.

Phil Forrest

Rokkor 28. Great lens even with the white spots (which are on the edges of the glasses and don't seem to affect anything)

I would second the recommendation for the Avenon/Kobalux 28mm F3.5 in LTM. It's a lovely lens that can usually be found for around $300 USD - only slightly more expensive than the Canons, but with modern glass and a much lower risk of age-related issues. It's sharp, contrasty, and flare resistant, but does vignette a bit. (most vintage 28s are the same, though, and you won't see it on the R-D1)

I would second the recommendation for the Avenon/Kobalux 28mm F3.5 in LTM. It's a lovely lens that can usually be found for around $300 USD - only slightly more expensive than the Canons, but with modern glass and a much lower risk of age-related issues. It's sharp, contrasty, and flare resistant, but does vignette a bit. (most vintage 28s are the same, though, and you won't see it on the R-D1)

I have a Kobalux 28/3.5. It is a wonderful lens overall.

Kobalux/Avenon — that’s the one! Small, sharp, modern, not subject to usual lens fetishizing or the dread white spot disease. I mean, why buy a lens with the equivalent of leprosy?

This was on an A7 @f8 maybe.
med_U45148I1424666886.SEQ.4.jpg

Here on a CL with Arista Prem 400:

med_U45148I1432828029.SEQ.2.jpg

Good luck.

So that kobalux is worth being slower?
I tend to shoot wideish as the rd 1 can only go 1600 iso

It depends on how low-light you're planning to go with them. For daytime and brighter interiors, 3.5 is fine. For dark interiors or nighttime, it will be more limiting.

If you're concerned about lens speed, there are always the CV 28mm F1.9 in LTM or F2 in M-mount. Both are larger, heavier, and at least $150 more expensive than the other options so far, but are also good lenses - and you won't find anything faster in that focal length.

The rd1 is my main camera. Out of the first version 28 elmarit, a 28 m-rokkor and and a canon 28/2.8, I like to use the m-rokkor.

It fits the rd1 in size, operation and looks, as if it were made for it. There's not much between the elmarit and the m-rokkor apart from size and a lot of price.

The canon was ok but the others are better so I sold the canon. I don't miss it.

The Rokkor 28/2.8 is a bargain in comparison with a 28mm Elmarit. The white spots in my lens have not spread the past 20 years. I used to own a Canon 28/3.5, which is viewed as being sharper than a Canon 28/2.8. I sold the Canon but I kept the Rokkor and the Kobalux.

Rokkor

4487160-orig.jpg

4487148-orig.jpg

Back