28mm vs 35mm

28mm vs 35mm

• 28mm

Votes: 147 43.8%
  • 35mm

Votes: 189 56.3%

• Total voters
It took me very long to realize that 35mm for me is neither fish nor fowl. To short to pick details or people, to narrow to work in tight environments, not wide enough to work with a little dramatic perspective. With 28/50mm I can do all of this and more.

35mm for me as it feels wide enough in my 0.85 camera. To use an external viewfinder I would like to go wider than 28, maybe a 21.

I voted 28 mm because I also like 50. It is a nicely separated combo between stepped back and close in.

My first wide lens back in 1983 was a Sigma, (PK fit), 28mm 2.8 miniwide, and thus I tended, from then on, to always lean towards 28mm for my SLR, however for compact I relied on a XA with 35mm lens, I still like the angle given from a 28mm, I think though I am probably wrong its about 74 degrees of view

Surprised to see so many votes for the 35mm. A digital forum would go for the 28mm, no question. 35mm is all very well for an integrated rangefinder lens, but this fella has an interchangeable 50mm as well... I'd go for a 24mm as well. In fact, I did. :D

When I re bought the M8 I decided to go with/try 28mm rather then going with a 35mm which is what I what used last time around as well as what I'd used with the M6. I'm still getting use to the difference so can't really say whither I'll stick with it or go back to the 35mm.

28mm for me. not that there's anything wrong with a 35mm lens, though.

I must respectfully disagree with the claim that a 28 is not a street photography lens. My 28 works just fine for street photography.
Winogrand seemed to think the 28 worked for street shooting, too.

I use the 28/50 combo for about 90% of my photography, which is mostly street. Somehow, 35 doesn't do it for me on SLRs. Rangefinders is another issue. And as many others have already pointed out, 35/50 is too close. The 28 gives me a wideangle effect that's good for street photography, but not wide enough to look wide-anglish.

Hi, can´t say for sure....

But i use the 28 a lot during my city walks, also y carry the 50mm lens...

When traveling light out of the city it´s better a 35mm lens...

that makes me think why VC doesn´t have a tri-elmar or so...it would be very nice to combine 28-35-50 but withut the price tag of the tri elmar...

Hi, can´t say for sure....

But i use the 28 a lot during my city walks, also y carry the 50mm lens...

When traveling light out of the city it´s better a 35mm lens...

that makes me think why VC doesn´t have a tri-elmar or so...it would be very nice to combine 28-35-50 but withut the price tag of the tri elmar...

A voigtlander version of the tri-elmar would be a very intriguing lens.

I'm a 35/50 guy, 35 is definitely the one I pick up if I want to carry only one lens. I prefer 28mm for landscape and that's pretty much it. 50 is my artistic, editorial lens.

I prefer 28 and 50. I also prefer fixed lens compact cameras. For 28mm there is the Ricoh GRD or GXR/A12, the Nikon A and the Sigma DP1M. I have the two Ricohs and the Nikon. But as far as 50mm goes, the only fixed lens camera is the GXR A12. There are no other options. For such a classic focal length I have to wonder why there are not any other fixed lens 50mm cameras.

Nonetheless, I could probably live with just a 28mm camera.

20, 24, 28 & 50 & the 50 is my least used. Get the feeling I tend to see wide?
IMO the 35 is not a dramatic enough difference in a print. If you want environmental portraits It will allow more background. Think something like shoe maker, flea market, small shop etc.
Until you get pretty close(<4-5ft) there's not much distortion either.

I myself really enjoy 28 - 50 - 75 mm

some my fave shots are all in those 3 FL esp 28 mm

I really really try to learn in 35
but so far its not really working yet.. dunno why
maybe because I start from Ricoh GR

Sincerely
William

I think 35mm is my ideal wide angle. Any wider without going into UWA and I don't like it. I realize 50 and 35 are close, but since I like this focal range the best the additional fine grain that I can distinguish helps.

Unfortunately I have not found an SLR 35mm I really like. The stinkin distagon is HUGE.

I'm about to sell my 2/35 distagon as I don't have an slr now, but it never felt that big on a 1Ds3:) and it's a really great lens.

Back