35/1.4 Nokton II Preview

bayernfan

Well-known
Local time
12:33 AM
Rumor/News:

https://leicarumors.com/2019/05/03/...eica-m-mount-to-be-announced-on-may-7th.aspx/

From the link:

Focal length: 35mm
Diameter ratio: 1:1.4
Minimum aperture: f/16
Lens configuration: eight elements in six groups
Angle of view: 63.0 °
Stop blade number: 10
Minimum focusing distance: 0.7m
Maximum diameter × total length: φ55.0 × 28.5mm
Filter size: φ43mm
Weight: 189g
Suggested retail price (excluding tax) ¥ 75,000 or around $670 (the current version is priced at $629)
JAN code: 4530076132368
Accessories: optional hood LH-6 can be mounted

Wondering if it's a recalculated optical formula or just a new exterior.

Possible just exterior; the original Nokton 35mm f/1.4 MC had an 8/6 formula and a quite good lens for the day; the one I used mostly matched the V.3 cron I have from 1.8 on. I thought of it as either an faster pre-asph 'cron with a touch of distortion OR a more refined (or Mint Glass) Pre-asph 'lux. Nice idea for them to release again this lens I'm sure people will be happy.

Possible just exterior; the original Nokton 35mm f/1.4 MC had an 8/6 formula and a quite good lens for the day; the one I used mostly matched the V.3 cron I have from 1.8 on. I thought of it as either an faster pre-asph 'cron with a touch of distortion OR a more refined (or Mint Glass) Pre-asph 'lux. Nice idea for them to release again this lens I'm sure people will be happy.

I had hoped they'd correct the barrel distortion with a re-release, however, it doesn't seem likely given the identical optical specifications and lens dimensions.

What is new in exterior?

The barrel design is changed to "vintage line with focusing stick" style ;)
Hehe I have no idea actually, I just made that up.
I think we can expect some optical formula tweaks for use on digital cameras though, such as reduced focus shift and field curvature. Hopefully that also means reduced barrel distortion.

So the announcement was today.

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1183108.html

The only difference I can see is the aperture ring going from the "wing" tabs to the newer style like the 35/2 Ultron and 21/3.5 Color Skopar.

Version 2
Voigtlander-Nokton-Classic-35mm-f1.4-II-SC-VM-lens.jpg

Version 1
Webp_net-resizeimage257.jpg

The lens diagram looks very similar as before:

Version 2

Version 1

Yep, basically the same optical formula but the version 2 diagram does show a few tweaks. The 2nd and 7th elements are larger in diameter and extend beyond the 3rd and 6th elements, and the pink element is anomalous partial dispersion glass (a type of extra-low dispersion glass). Same optics as the E-mount version.

Yeah I see a few differences as well. Looks like a couple of small production changes to those now stepped doublets; perhaps a slightly revised internal barrel could hold that group to a higher tolerance. Also the change to ED glass with the pink element would be a good way to further optimize an already good design. I'm impressed and especially for the price.

Yep, basically the same optical formula but the version 2 diagram does show a few tweaks. The 2nd and 7th elements are larger in diameter and extend beyond the 3rd and 6th elements, and the pink element is anomalous partial dispersion glass (a type of extra-low dispersion glass). Same optics as the E-mount version.

Spot on from what I can see -

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1183108.html

Press release from dc.watch seems to say the low dispersion element and optical tweaks reduce focus shift but retain the original noktons under corrected character.

Sounds good!

I've got weirdly mixed feelings about my V1. On one hand, it's a very fast and compact 35 with vintage character and great build quality and exterior design. On the other, bokeh can be oddly jittery and it's glowy wide open. This glowy character can be both boon and bane; some of my favourite pictures were taken with this lens on the M9, making full use of its glow and softness. But other times I'd like a contrasty modern image.

This new one, I'm interested to see what, if any, noticeable changes have been made to the way it renders.

If they could correct at least some of the focus shift then it's gonna be awesome.

Hopefully they'd also improve the barrel design which would often lead to wobbling.

The lens is out now. I read a quick overview from a member on l-camera forum but would love to hear more about this lens.

Version II improved to eliminate focus shift with new high index glass element

What is interesting is it is again available in SC and MC versions. When I had both versions of the 40 1.4, I ran tests and could not see any difference in flare control or contrast.

Version II improved to eliminate focus shift with new high index glass element

What is interesting is it is again available in SC and MC versions. When I had both versions of the 40 1.4, I ran tests and could not see any difference in flare control or contrast.

If they V2 entirely removes focus shift, I may upgrade. The distortion doesn’t bother me as much for what I use, but focus shift has been a problem once in a while.

Anyone have this lens already? Shot with the v1 for the first time this week and I think it's a pretty sweet lens.

Back