Canon LTM 40 mm filters

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
4:38 PM
does anyone have a source for these hard to find filters?
i'm thinking yellow. and in canada would be perfect.

i have been checking some of the regular sites that sell used filters as i'm guessing that new ones are no longer made, but have not found too much so far.(at least in my price range)

joe

Is it for your FED2 Joe? Most of the Soviet RF lenses (J8, J12, Ind-26/61) are 40.5mm as RML mentioned. If so I have a spare yellow filter that came with one of my lenses I could part with (I don’t use filters much), the ring is a little worn but the glass has only minor marks on it, a user for sure. Out of interest the filter is marked XC-17 40.5x0.5 …. (that "X" has a "l" in the middle of it but I cant get it to display right) .. Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, 40mm is what the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens requires. As bad as the Summarit 41mm filter size. I managed to find one 40.5mm filter that fit the Summarit well enough.

I will keep a look-out for them, the 39mm just missed. I thought about wrapping some teflon tape around the 39mm filters to thicken the thread. You may give it a try.

Opps, I didn't even notice this was in the canon forum till after I posted... I've been just following the latest posts off the main page. :eek:

yes, brian knows, it's for my incoming canon 1.8/50.
i had read that 40 mm was a pain to find and 'they' were right.
there is one place in town but i have not checked there yet, they might have some.

thanks,
joe

Joe,

Couple of things - I have the same lens and this has worked for me.

1) Look on the 'bay for vintage filter sets. If they come in a hard case with 3 filters and they say 'for Canon' on them, that's the 40mm filters, most likely. People often don't bid on those, 'cause the sellers don't know what they are.

2) Look for vintage lens hoods for Canon rangefinders. They are often 40mm-to-Series VI adapters - they are hoods, but also hold standard Series VI filters.

3) You can consider having them made. I had the link of a company in England that could / would do custom step-up adapters, I believe they wanted something like 35 pounds sterling to do a 40mm to 42mm adapter - but they don't have them in stock, they do them to order. I'll try to find their URL again - sorry I can't find it now!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Oh yeah - here's a sneaky-but-effective way to get 40mm filters. Buy a 'bay Canon rangefinder camera that has the filters, then clean up and sell the camera minus the filters. You can get lenses that way too. Especially if the seller doesn't know how to properly photograph or market their camera.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Also, check out this - expensive, but you'd only need one - and several Canon RF lenses are 40mm, such as the 35mm f3.5 as well as the 50mm f1.8. Might be worth the investment.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

SK Grimes Filter Adapter

Here's the UK firm I was referring to - you have to download their PDF file with their prices in it. I was thinking about doing this as well - so let me know if you want to do it together, maybe we could split an order and save money or something.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Photo filters, step-up adapters, etc.

Back