59 high resolution Bronica RF645 photos of Edinburgh online

jimbobuk

Established
Local time
11:49 PM
I've linked this in another thread that was originally to point out my epson R-D1 shots from this trip, but i figure from when i was considering buying medium format that there aren't that many examples of full resolution shots out there for people to look at and decide whether medium format is for them, so here's another link in a more relevant place.

I went up to Edinburgh a few weeks ago with 3 cameras, 2 real ones and my Fuji F30 for late night shots.. here are the shots i got with a few rolls of 120 film through my Bronica RF645.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbobuk/sets/72157594226660348/

As said elsewhere they're quite snapshot-y as i was there for a stag do and didn't get much time to walk round and take pictures, whenever i did i couldn't stop long as people wouldn't wait, the gits!! :)

These are all scanned on my Epson 4490 fairly low budget flat bed scanner at something closer to its optical resolution of 2400dpi rather than its quoted maximum of 4800dpi ... I think i really do need to get a better scanner, especially perhaps for scanning transparencies as it seems to really struggle to match the visible detail in the shadows i can see under a cheap loupe. Still quite chuffed really, I think they'd print well at that resolution if not look completely pretty when viewed at 100% on a computer monitor.

Jpeg compression hits a few of them harder than i'd like, these are my first medium format shots with actually a load of detail from all the surrounding buildings etc.. it seems a bit of a push to fit them in at 2400dpi whilst staying under the 10meg limit set by flickr.

Anyways enough, hope they can help a few people decide on scanners and medium format, or just really for film.. I'm loving the colours that you get out of it, especially the velvia 50 that i shot...

All in all only 3-4 shots out of 60 were taken with the lens cap on, still i wish it would inform me better, some serious lessons were learnt :)

Cheers

About the lens cap :

no need for it if you just wear the lens hood all the time. I just keep the lens hood on - it protects the lens wonderfully - and spot for dust occasionally.

jimbobuk said:
All in all only 3-4 shots out of 60 were taken with the lens cap on, still i wish it would inform me better, some serious lessons were learnt :)

I would say when you got the film back, it had informed you eloquently.

As George says, always shoot with the lens hood then you know it is not capped. But it you don't like hoods, tape a strip of brightly colored electrical tape around the edge of the cap to make the cap visible from the viewfinder. I do this with my Nikonos V and Horseman SW612. I also change tape color so I can identify the lens.

Back