70mm Film FUN up ahead

I bought another A70 and light trap so that will be loaded with Plus-X Aerographic 2402. See photos just above. In D23 1:1 the lows and mids are the best I have seen recently. I think I am on to something.

Also ordered ten 70mm film cans for filling with 2402. I'm running dummy rolls through all my A70s and verifying that all is good. Hasselblad equipment is tuff but stuff happens.

In addition to my stash of 70mm Kodak Aerographic Plus-X 2402 films purchased recently, I yesterday ordered a five inch by 350 foot roll of the Plus-X Aero 2402. So I can cut it down to 4x5 or 9x12cm, or with luck, maybe 5x7 or 13x18cm. To feed my Plaubel Makiflexes and Sinar Normas. All the the above ^^^ amazing tonality and now with large format fidelity too.

According to my calculations, 350 feet will produce 1,050 4x5" sheets, at a cost of 23 cents each. I'm stoked. :)

Yes, but not recently. Good luck with old high speed film!

Marty

Thanks Marty! It will be -interesting-. Hopefully ok. If not I will use it to check camera back spacing. Taking a bit of a chance here, I am aware. If it's still good I'll buy more of it . I've read on the internet, that if you can shoot through the base fog, and add enough extra exposure, you have a chance of printable negatives. I'm sure they will be grainy, Grain the size of golf balls, I don't have anything like that. Like I got back in the seventies, shooting 35mm 2475 Recording Film. I processed in in straight DK-50 and I loved it

"I remembered Bill Pierce wrote an article about this back in the 1970's. Nominal ISO was 3200, but it could be pushed to 8000."

MFM,
THANK YOU for sending me a mail copy of Mr. Pierce's article on 2485. The 150 foot roll arrived today along with your letter. I'll be testing it ASAP, I should post the data sheet and your article here. Might be of interest to 70mm film nuts like me :shootout: ;)

Kodak D-19 formula
500mL distilled water at 52C
2g metol
90g anhydrous sodium sulfite
8g hydroquinone
52.5g sodium carbonate monohydrate or 45g anhydrous sodium carbonate
5g potassium bromide anhydrous
water to make 1L

The ingredients should be added in the order that they appear in the formula. Wait until each dissolved before adding the next. The only exception is to add a pinch of sulfite to the water before adding the Metol.

Pierce Article 2485 pg 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Pierce Article 2485 pg 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Pierce Article 2485 pg 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Pierce Article 2485 pg 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have a gallon of Acufine mixed up a while ago, with a quart of replenisher. And a gallon of Diafine A and B also, need to mix it up. And several packets of D19 some Kodak, one Photographer's Formulary. D19 was my fave developer with 35mm Kodak High Speed Infared Film.

I have in the freezer, a sealed box of 100 feet Kodak 70mm High Speed Infared 2424, same emulsion as they sold in 35mm cassettes, but this is 70mm :) So I need to mix up some D19, I bought many gallon brown glass bottles from Photographer's Formulary a while back. Time to get busy as possible

Again THANKS to Mr. Fujicaman for sending me this great old article from his archives

Drat somebody bought the remaining three rolls on Ebay. $49 was mucho no money as Calzone would say. Hope somebody here got them!

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr
  • I've been working on shooting 70mm film again. Have decided best possible for now is the Graflex RH-50 70mm Film Back, I have two in house. One is now loaded with Kodak 2485 Recording Film (Uber high-speed low light emulsion) Type II perfed. Other RH-50 is loaded with fresh (bought frozen from B&H close-out) Kodak Tri-X Professional 70mm Unperfed. The RH-50 dosent care if it's perfed or unperfed (YAY) and takes standard Kodak 70mm film cartridges, so it's daylight reloadable (YAY). On my hack modded Paterson 70mm film reel I can load eighteen exposures, format is roughly 6x7cm so pretty nice to shoot. It was fun to work all this out. I prefer the Graflex 70mm back over the Beatty Coleman Transet 6x8cm 70mm back, at least for now. I also have a couple of tan Linhof Technika 70mm backs which I will investigate agian soon. The initial loaded test roll of eighteen exposure 2485 Recording Film will be tested at nominal EI 1600 (a total guess) and bracketed in full stops each way. I will process in straight Acufine 800ml in Paterson System 4 single reel tank. Acufine recommended by Bill Pierce decades ago for maximum highlight nuance and detail. This film can be rated up to EI 8000 we will see if developed in Kodak 857 Special Developer. Another plus is that the 70mm RH-50 is listed in the original Makiflex catalog, so somebody was using it :)

Shown is Auto Iris Plaubel Makiflex No.2 body with Mamiya RB Stovepipe Hacked Viewfinder, and Auto Iris Schneider 150mm F2.8 Xenotar. Seems like a good lens for low light shooting with high speed film.
18134483@N04_m.jpg

Estate purchase Paterson System 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is an estate purchase, lots of nice Paterson pieces all in good shape. These have today been cleaned up, glued back together with JB Weld, and ready to reassemble/reconfigure into another pair of custom made 70mm 220 film tanks. I have one of each right now I'm presently using, and like 'em, the long tanks will hold five rolls of 35mm, or two 220 lengths of 70mm film plus a roll of 35. The small tanks will hold one roll of 220 length 70mm, two rolls of 35mm, or a couple of rolls of 120. So pretty good production and having extra tanks is great luxury to me. I sometimes procrastinate when it comes to film developing, this will speed up the backlog considerably I would think. I have a lot of developer that I want to start using again.

Custom Made Paterson 70mm Reel hold 220 length by Nokton48, on Flickr

I just tested this new to me Paterson custom made 70mm film reel, it holds a 220 length of 70mm film. No problem loading at all, although if it starts to slightly stick during loading, I simply pull the reels gently apart, while twisting and pulling the film onto the reel. It goes on smoothly and tightly. I am really pleased. I will be making two more custom 70mm Paterson reel sets, so stay tuned on how to make your own. Two sets of reels are required to make up the necessary parts for this thing.

220 length of 70mm developed perfectly with no probs. I spin the big drums (and my JOBO drums) on an old Unicolor Uniroller. Works great for decades

Step 1 Parts Needed Paterson Single 70mm Reel by Nokton48, on Flickr

To make a Paterson 70mm reels for the small tank, you need: one complete reel (both sides) and a third reel side, the one that will fit tightly on the black central core. In addition to the core, you will need stainless steel metal screws #6x1/2", JB Weld, cross point screwdriver, and 1/8" drill bit and drill. I drilled out tiny guide holes with my dremel, to accurately and easily drill the screw holes. The plastic is rather slippery and tricky to drill

Step 2 Remove Spiral Material From Rotating Core by Nokton48, on Flickr

On the left, is the original reel. On the right, what you should end up with after modification. I also used a bench grinder to buzz down the right side a couple of milimeters, so there is plenty of room for the final adjustment and fitting.

Step 3 Attach Spiral with Ball Bearing to Black Central Core 3 SS screws by Nokton48, on Flickr

Make sure it is tight and square, then install three stainless steel screws.

Step 4 JB Weld Other Reel Tightly Squarely together Dry Overnight by Nokton48, on Flickr

Carefully JB Weld the Other Reel to the modded hacked central reel. It is mucho important that both sides of reels are square and not wobbly. Otherwise you will go nuts trying to get the roll to feed smoothly and without issues. Don't get any on the inside of the spirals, obviously

When this dries overnight, I'll finish the final assembly. Stay tuned.

Back