7artisans 28mm f/5.6

Seemingly a different optical design from the TTartisans 28/5.6.
Wonder what's behind this new interest in producing tiny slow 28mm lenses?

If they made it in LTM I might have been interested, although I am not a fan of that pseudo artisan decoration.

I can't say I like the design of the 7artisans lens. It is pretty ugly. But if the performance is good, maybe that won't be important.

Next lens to copy? How about a Thambar? Or perhaps a twin lens dopple for stereo pairs.

Obviously the innards are (again) all-new, modern optics. If they'd ever make a 90/2.2, it'll probably be modern too.

They do need a product manager that's a bit more imaginative than just "let's churn out Leica sound-alikes". And a proper typographer, seriously.

If you need a good 28mm lens for a Leica mount camera I would consider a Rokkor-M 28m/2.8.

Get a 35.5-37mm step-up ring.

The TTartisans lens uses a 37mm filter.
  • Filter Diameter: 37 mm

Of course, though even 37mm filters aren't that common. My question is more about why such a dumb choice is made in the first place. And then, it's unlikely the OEM hood that comes with the lens will fit over the step-up ring. Dumb again!
I've seen a number of gaffs of this nature from the Chinese lens makers: The TTArtisan 35/1.4 lens hood that won't fit past any filter, the 7Artisan 50/1.1 that vignetted with any filter, no matter how slim... And Raid, you're right; if someone wants a tiny 28, there's the Rokkor, or even tinier Canon LTM lenses. All with a usable range of apertures. F/5.6, really? It's 2022, people!

Of course, though even 37mm filters aren't that common. My question is more about why such a dumb choice is made in the first place. And then, it's unlikely the OEM hood that comes with the lens will fit over the step-up ring. Dumb again!
I've seen a number of gaffs of this nature from the Chinese lens makers: The TTArtisan 35/1.4 lens hood that won't fit past any filter, the 7Artisan 50/1.1 that vignetted with any filter, no matter how slim... And Raid, you're right; if someone wants a tiny 28, there's the Rokkor, or even tinier Canon LTM lenses. All with a usable range of apertures. F/5.6, really? It's 2022, people!

I used to own a Canon 28mm/3.5 and I sold it. I kept the Rokkor-M 28/2.8 and the Kobalux 28mm/3.5. Two excellent lenses. Each has its own special features.

Get a 35.5-37mm step-up ring.

The TTartisans lens uses a 37mm filter.
  • Filter Diameter: 37 mm

The step up ring probably costs 1/2 the price of the Fartisan lens

The need to knock-off a slow 28 does seem odd. Maybe they thought the 28 would appeal to the iPhoners used to the field of view and because it’s a FL easy to design an inexpensive slow lens, it would sell

"QC" and the "PRC" are mutually incompatible acronyms. These items appear created for a quick sell, damned if the lens hood fits or works.

The new VM 2/28 is small enough and of enormously superior quality to even bother with these pointless ChiComm disposable distractions.

Leica issued a 28/5.6 recently, and it costs far more money than the Chinese "replicas" that are not similar to the Leica 28/5.6.

Leica issued a 28/5.6 recently, and it costs far more money than the Chinese "replicas" that are not similar to the Leica 28/5.6.

A design of Leica's own and part of their resurrection of classics. Not shameless, opportunistic knockoffs with ill-fitted and fatally vignetting hoods.

This is true. I hardly ever use anymore the Made in China Summicron replica 35/2 or the 50/1.1. Instead, I am using each day the wonderful CV 50/1.0.

Whoever decided on that silly symbol ruins the whole aesthetic of the lens. Purely aesthetic issues, nothing against politically however
If using on a Leica then there should ONLY be one red dot! Lol

I used to own a Canon 28mm/3.5 and I sold it. I kept the Rokkor-M 28/2.8 and the Kobalux 28mm/3.5. Two excellent lenses. Each has its own special features.

I've always been interested in that Minolta 28 Raid, but it seems like a crapshoot finding a good one these days.

The real gem of compact, slow 28's is the elusive CV 3,5/28 LTM. It is a shame that it has not been updated and re-released by Cosina in M mount.

Back