7artisans 35mm f1.2 mark ii

nzeeman

Well-known
Local time
11:01 AM
so new 35/1.2 announced and i found diagram for it-seems like double gauss based now. i think it will have maybe better sharpness and less distortion now... any opinions? anyone waiting for it?

Attachments

• rsz_sketch-1597314554260.jpg
    rsz_sketch-1597314554260.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0
These are exciting times for fast lens aficionados, these Chinese lens makers are following the footsteps of the Japanese in the 1950s when optical firms like Canon and Nikkor and Fuji and Zunow were cutting edge and breaking the speed barrier.

It is hard to know much about the photo qualities of a lens from a schematic, as there are so many variables to an actual physical lens in real world use and too many opinions, all valid and all different.

i found some mtf also... not good quality photo but contrasts and sharpness looks excellent... will be lots of aberations if i read correctly so maybe more nervous bokeh..

Sometimes the lens designers and makers luck out with those aberrations and we can get some pleasant old school bokeh in photos...but in the end it is all subjective really..what is fantastic bokeh to one is not necessarily pleasing to another viewer.

The Helios 44-2 lens is a perfect example of this...I love the swirly bokeh at f2 and so do many photographers and video makers and even cinematographers...but I remember back in the 1970s some people hated that lens for its optical design faults and wanted a uniform clinically sharp lens of the latest Japanese mid speed 50mm lenses.

Sometimes the lens designers and makers luck out with those aberrations and we can get some pleasant old school bokeh in photos...but in the end it is all subjective really..what is fantastic bokeh to one is not necessarily pleasing to another viewer.

The Helios 44-2 lens is a perfect example of this...I love the swirly bokeh at f2 and so do many photographers and video makers and even cinematographers...but I remember back in the 1970s some people hated that lens for its optical design faults and wanted a uniform clinically sharp lens of the latest Japanese mid speed 50mm lenses.

The Nikon AF-S 58/1.4G too. To many it's just so much less sharp than the Otus and Sigma 50/1.4...

I know of quite a deal of uninformed hobbyists buying the CV 35/1.4 Nokton expecting it to perform similarly to their FE35/1.4 on the a7r2 while being just 1/3 as hefty. Disappointment and anguish ensued.

i like what i see.. i took a risk and bought some lesser known name that i found out share same optical parts but its only 60eur - im pretty sure 7artisans will target around 130-150... but i have to wait to come from china... there are some brands on amazon with same insides but around 100-120...

Attachments

• rsz_screenshot_20200812_150819.jpg
    rsz_screenshot_20200812_150819.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 0
Back