85 tele-tessar

Penceler

Established
Local time
7:28 AM
So I'm seriously considering the zm85. How limiting is f4? Part of this lens's purpose will be portraits and, well, f4? I do like the look but how is size and handling? Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

John

f4 by itself is not a problem in most cases.

But given you can have much smaller, cheaper, well built and just as sharp (90/4 Elmar-C, or Rokkor), I never felt attracted to the ZM lens.

Never used the Zeiss, but my M-Rokkor is filling my needs at f/4. It's nice to handle, and I asked it to come along for a walk around town with my 50 and 35. Didn't cramp my style one bit.

Seriously, I think I'm with ferider here. I think Zeiss is great (just ask me about my Biogon), but I'd like more flexibility (size, weight, max aperture) if I'm going to spend for it.

It has been about 4 years since I used a Tele-Tessar for about a month on an M9. My recollection of the lens was it's very good, but nothing magical. Where I perhaps would take issue with it is as already noted by others - it's not particularly small (as in short) compared to some other slow ~90mm options, though it is rather narrow. I also recall having some trouble nailing focus with it at nearer distances, but it could have been an RF calibration problem and I was quite new to the RF world at that time. Technically, for farther distance work, it seems to hold up quite well to much higher priced, high performance 85s/90s, as seen in this test by Jim Kasson on a Sony a7II.

Given what the ZM cost new, and assuming used prices are not down all that much now that the lens has been discontinued, I'd be more inclined to spend about that much money on an M-mount converted (with RF coupling) Zeiss 90/2.8 Contax G lens, which supposedly is more typical of Zeiss rendering, is very sharp, a stop faster and similar size. Otherwise I'd just save the money and get a Rokkor 90/4.

I always advise a lateral solution: you buy Contax Aria or similar, plus the Sonnar 85/2.8.
Cheaper, more flexible, and no need to change lenses. A great alternative is also Pentax ME Super or MX with the 85/2 or Olympus OMx with the 85/2 or 100/2.8.

There is nothing wrong with the Tele-Tessar. In short, like most Zeiss lenses, it produces very high image quality.

I use it quite a bit and have never found the relatively slow aperture to be limiting at all. If you buy one and use it I doubt you will be disappointed. But only you can tell.

This is what I can say about my Tele-Tessar. It always does exactly what I want without any drama. It is quite sharp right from wide open. It has a tiny bit of vignette at f4 but that is all. By f5.6 it is gone. There is no distortion that I can find.

The biggest reason that there are not a lot of fans on the forums is the f4 maximum aperture. That, and the fact that there are faster lenses out there. I do, however, find it interesting that many of those "faster" lenses have to be stopped down to f4 for the best image quality.

But, in today's world, faster, more megapickels, and higher iso are better. Slower, less megapickels and lower iso just don't cut it.

Even though I do enjoy working with this lens it does have some downsides. As others have mentioned it is a longer lens. That never really bothered me and without the hood the lens does not interfere with the viewfinder. With it on it does protrude a little bit at close range focusing.

Next, it will not provide the same out of focus blur at f4 that f2 lenses will. If that narrow depth of focus is important in your work you won't care for this lens. I am not saying that you can't get nice bokeh, you can. You will just have to deal with the fact that you will have more depth of focus to get your subject sharp and in focus than those lucky guys and gals with the f2 lens deal with.

You may need to learn to work with faster film or with a tripod, since there are times when you need a slower shutter speed to get your shot. I have shaky hands to start with so I use a monopod or tripod a lot of the time anyway, but that is another topic.

Finally, you have to use those god awful, silly, zeiss lens caps.

tele-tessar

tele-tessar

Thanks all for you thoughts. The Rokkor is certainly looking like a reasonable alternative but there is just something about the tessar that keeps drawing me in. It so concerns me I'm finding myself agreeing with a guy named "pioneer" :) but I guess "penciler" is no bargain either.

Time to sit and do nothing for a few days and hope things sort themselves out.

Thanks again

John

Thanks all for you thoughts. The Rokkor is certainly looking like a reasonable alternative but there is just something about the tessar that keeps drawing me in. It so concerns me I'm finding myself agreeing with a guy named "pioneer" :) but I guess "penciler" is no bargain either.

Time to sit and do nothing for a few days and hope things sort themselves out.

Thanks again

John

FWIT, I use the M-ROKKOR, and am happy. I choose the CLE version because it has a proper M mount focus cam. Its always plenty sharp, all over, every aperture, all distances. Little bit of fall-off wide open. Bokeh effects / depth of field subject isolation are possible, and out of focus areas never distract. At one point I considered the Tele-Tessar simply because it focuses down to 90cm. That in itself seemed appealing to me. The ROKKOR is marked to 1 meter, but focuses slightly past. I actually measured my copy and its closest focus distance is about 95cm. The extra 5cm close focus is not a deal breaker for me. I use a 40.5mm→39mm step down ring and 39mm filters on mine which does not vignette the corners at all.

Some landscapes here.

19727416498_5d61cfc4ef_c.jpg

19907940232_ea47564472_c.jpg

17329146842_f4e45c123a_c.jpg

15807643713_78aaeae853_c.jpg

I have a couple portraits that I can dig up if you are interested...

The new 2.4/90 SUMMARIT is really appealing. But my M-ROKKOR does such a great job for $250 that I can't even begin to think about laying out the $$$ for the Leica lens.

Will, I never saw the M-Rokkor look better :)

As you note, keep in mind Put's daily favorite 90: the Summarit. I think it's the same size as the ZM 85/4 and tiny bit heavier. Fantastic lens, only the APO beats it.

Prices have come way down on the f/2.5 version. 8-900 today I think.

F/2.5 on this lens is so good you can shoot infinity long landscapes and see fine details on the edges. Better than even the great Elmarit-M 90

It smokes the CV 90/3.5 APO which is not shabby. :)

Vienna Creek Narrows by unoh7, M9 90/2.5 @f/4

I chose the thin tele-elmarit 90 because it is f/2.8 and tiny. I seldom use 90mm so its small size is important else I would just leave it at home. I considered the ZM but it is too slow for my uses especially with a yellow filter in front.

Will, I never saw the M-Rokkor look better :)

As you note, keep in mind Put's daily favorite 90: the Summarit. I think it's the same size as the ZM 85/4 and tiny bit heavier. Fantastic lens, only the APO beats it.

Prices have come way down on the f/2.5 version. 8-900 today I think.

F/2.5 on this lens is so good you can shoot infinity long landscapes and see fine details on the edges. Better than even the great Elmarit-M 90

It smokes the CV 90/3.5 APO which is not shabby. :)

Vienna Creek Narrows by unoh7, M9 90/2.5 @f/4

thank you :) im really happy with my little ROKKOR. Your image is showing the potential of the SUMMARIT though, and not helping me stay content over here :)

Back