90mm Summicron photos

Leica M3, Summicron 90mm f/2, TriX.

Erik.

8546447356_1fb65a1d95_c.jpg

8545445818_3d56ee48ac_c.jpg

8545446246_cee203180f_c.jpg

8544349899_f34269f410_c.jpg

The images in this here thread make it so tempting...
I have a Summicron 90 E55 sitting in the checkout basket, but as it's a distance sale there's no chance of trying it on my M240 for calibration accuracy. The plan would be to use it also with my M6, but as film is more forging it's the digital M that could be the trouble.

Question for anyone in a similar boat, how common is it for the Summicron 90 f2 E55 (V3 I believe) to need calibration on a digital M? I thought (perhaps somewhat naively) that once a lens was shimmed in the factory it was good for life, but from what I've read it's not always the case.

Question for anyone in a similar boat, how common is it for the Summicron 90 f2 E55 (V3 I believe) to need calibration on a digital M? I thought (perhaps somewhat naively) that once a lens was shimmed in the factory it was good for life, but from what I've read it's not always the case.

I would say than when you use an old Summicron 90 - from the sixties, the heavy one, the one Michael has on his belly - the problems with focusing wil be in the camera and not in the lens. The mechanical construction of these old lenses is incredible.

Erik.

I would say than when you use an old Summicron 90 - from the sixties, the heavy one, the one Michael has on his belly - the problems with focusing wil be in the camera and not in the lens. The mechanical construction of these old lenses is incredible.

Erik.

Thanks Erik. The one I have in mind is the version 3, the last prior to the introduction of the asph, I believe. Filter size is E55 and serial number 3687830, which makes it late 90's, possibly 1995 or 8.

I guess these are very good too, but I've never used them. The earlier version is a masterpiece of engineering, but quite heavy. Optically absolutely first class.

If your lens is in good condition, I would be surprised if there is something wrong with the focusing mechanism.

Erik.

Thanks Erik. The one I have in mind is the version 3, the last prior to the introduction of the asph, I believe. Filter size is E55 and serial number 3687830, which makes it late 90's, possibly 1995 or 8.

I have one of these, presumably made around 1984 according to the serial number. I don't use it much and haven't shot film a lot since I got it, but it is a nice lens. I don't think you'll be disappointed. My only issue with it is the stiff focus throw (same as the 75 Summilux). I know some people like that, but I prefer something a bit lighter and quicker.

I have one of these, presumably made around 1984 according to the serial number. I don't use it much and haven't shot film a lot since I got it, but it is a nice lens. I don't think you'll be disappointed. My only issue with it is the stiff focus throw (same as the 75 Summilux). I know some people like that, but I prefer something a bit lighter and quicker.
Thanks Tim, I phoned the shop about the lens and asked numerous questions, but stiffness didn't enter my head, unfortunately. However, since I have a 14 day cooling off period I can see how good or bad it is. The main things for me are the optics and whether I can focus wide open on my M240 (I know the camera is calibrated well with a 50 asph, so I can eliminate this if there's a mismatch with the 90mm).

Back