95 images of NYC life with the new Leica Q2

binyamin

Local time
4:08 AM
The last 95 images posted on the top my Citizens page here: https://www.bxlgotham.com/citizens

They are grouped as a series of stories from different neighborhood scenes that I've walked into or through over the preceding two weeks, including Meat Packing District, West 14th Street, Koreatown, Hell's Kitchen, Harold Square, Times Square, Union Square, West Village, and Chelsea.

Emphasis is on story over image quality and composition, but all three have been important components in achieving a story driven aesthetic that shows what life has been like among a variety of social circles and peoples throughout Manhattan.

After the 95th image in this series, the cameras used shifts to the Ricoh GRii, Ricoh GRiii, SONY RX1 Rii, and the GFX 50S.

95 images of NYC life with the new Leica Q2

One of the 95:

L1040728_exposure.jpg

I have to look at it on normal screen, but even from mobile it is very solid and engaging work.
Something I would not be able to take.
Was flash in use for some of it?

Thanks KoFe and LynnB for the encouraging feedback. Glad you enjoyed. I enjoyed the process. I find formalizing the work, really working on honing a process and some aesthetics and rules of engagement has helped me to zero in on a stream of stories around the city lately and improve my street eye. Still learning a lot.

I'm using the somewhat inferior but still plenty effective Leica SF-26 flash on the Q2. It is not perfect but I rather like the look I'm getting and it's not too strong of a flash to jolt subjects at night.

Thank you for providing more details. SF-26 is what I have, but I'm chicken little to use it on the street.
I was able to re-watch your work on big screen, it is very nice and deserves respect.

Thank you for providing more details. SF-26 is what I have, but I'm chicken little to use it on the street.
I was able to re-watch your work on big screen, it is very nice and deserves respect.

That is actually one of the most encouraging things I've heard yet. I greatly appreciate the feedback and actually if there's anything you or anyone sees in areas to improve (I know there's plenty of it) I welcome the feedback there.

The SF-26 is not the greatest gift to flash photography but it is damn svelt and sexy looking, and just fits the vibe of the Q2 and other Leicas. Plus it really is sufficient and almost unnoticeable.

So far nobody has complained about the use of the flash at all.

I like the series. Great start. Keep'm coming.

I don't use flash on the street at all but I do like a lot of Bruce Gildens' work so I do appreciate it from others when done right.

I like the series. Great start. Keep'm coming.

I don't use flash on the street at all but I do like a lot of Bruce Gildens' work so I do appreciate it from others when done right.

Thanks Airfrog, will indeed and appreciate the high bar you're setting for me in Gilden. Not in a lifetime but I'll do my best :)

Good you have it here as well.
One question bugs me for sometime.
Did you find any use for Q manual focus in this series or for else?
It has odd manual focus scale. Infinity and then very close to it two meters. It doesn't looks like Leica focus scales I get used to, where 3 and 5 meters are present and I use it for manual focus as my default focus point location.

The last 95 images posted on the top my Citizens page here: https://www.bxlgotham.com/citizens

They are grouped as a series of stories from different neighborhood scenes that I've walked into or through over the preceding two weeks, including Meat Packing District, West 14th Street, Koreatown, Hell's Kitchen, Harold Square, Times Square, Union Square, West Village, and Chelsea.

Emphasis is on story over image quality and composition, but all three have been important components in achieving a story driven aesthetic that shows what life has been like among a variety of social circles and peoples throughout Manhattan.

After the 95th image in this series, the cameras used shifts to the Ricoh GRii, Ricoh GRiii, SONY RX1 Rii, and the GFX 50S.

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.” - Diane Arbus

After looking at your 95 images of New York City, I understand what Diane Arbus was saying to us with her statement (above).Her outlook also helps explain in part why Garry Winogrand photographed with such relentless obsessiveness.

We could all learn from the examples provided us by both Arbus and Winogrand.

Back