A Good Find

Heath

Classic Camera Collector
Local time
5:00 PM
Hey there guys. I am new here to this forum, so let me kinda introduce myself. My name is Heath and I collect vintage and classic cameras.

I just happen to have in my collection a Yashica Electro 35 GSN in pretty good condition.

How did I come about having this camera in my collection? Well, it is a bit of a story. My occupation is a garbo. That is I go around a pick up the trash people throw out. ONe day the guys I work with and I were at an apartment complex collecting their trash. They knew I was into photography and one of the guys held up this camera and said "hey Heath, do ya think it still works?". I said "there is only one way to find out, isn't there?"

So I took it home to tinker with it. Upon inspecting it I found it was in pretty good condition for something that had been thrown out. The only visible damage was a wrecked filter thread (but only minimal damage). I fixed it as best I could with a pair of pliers and set about getting it working.

First thing was to find out more about the camera. I searched the net and eventually found Yashicaguys site and found the manual and downloaded it. Then I discovered the batteries were no longer available. ON a whim, I went to a local camera store and asked one of the guys there if he had any of the batteries in stock. Nope, out of luck there, but he said he may know of a place. So he kindly rang another camera store (from a rival chain mind you) and as luck was on my side that night, they had 3 in stock (although it was old stock). So I jumped on a train and headed west. I ended up buying all 3 batteries in the hope tha camera worked. If not it was only $30 wasted.

Once home I put the battery in and turned the shutter lock. Nothing yet. Then I pressed down gently on the shutter and woah mamma, the lights lit up. This baby worked. I then grabbed a roll of film and set about checking how it handled. Pretty good if you ask me. The lens is almost chrystal clear and everything seems to be spot on. Not bad for a finder.

On a side not concerning the lens, I have bought other old rangefinders and viewfinder cameras that the lenses were in far worse condition, and I paid good money for those. But they cleaned up nicely (but don't als about the Vito B).

Heath

Hey, another Sydneysider!!!!

Welcome to RFF Heath. Good find on the GSN, you got any prints from it yet?

tim

Thanks for the welcome Tim.

I actually found the GSN about 2 years ago, and have put around 2 rolls through it. Unfortunately I cannot remember what shots I took with it and what shots I took with some of my other 35mm cameras. I will have to see if I can figure it out, but it may take time.

Heath

Back