A Good Quote about B&W

julianphotoart

No likey digital-phooey
Local time
7:53 PM
A nice quote seen in this month's Popular Photographer:

"Black and white are the colours of photography. To me they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected"---Robert Frank

My favorite is a paraphrase of Kennedy's statement about power. "Color corrupts and absolute color corrupts absolutely." Eddie Adams? Of course, nobody HAS to agree... I happily shoot color, too.

Regards!
Don

"Color distracts, black-and-white distills." That one's mine. Of course, to quote Traffic, there are always exceptions.

- Barrett

Last edited:
Colour seems to force one to look at the surface of subjects. The abstraction of B+W creates the illusion of being able to see deeper. FS

Last edited:
When you take a photo in color you get pretty pictures of there clothes. If you take images in B&W you get little glimpses into there souls.
I took a 3/4 profile of my granddaughter in color. Sweet, passive, slight smile. Very nice. When converted to BW she look sad and I dumped it. I hope the above is not always true.
Sorry, no example, it's in my archives someplace.

Limpovitj-
Thanks... I couldn't think who said that to save my life, only when it was said and that it tickles me.

Ducky said:
I took a 3/4 profile of my granddaughter in color. Sweet, passive, slight smile. Very nice. When converted to BW she look sad and I dumped it. I hope the above is not always true.
Sorry, no example, it's in my archives someplace.

Take heart, I took an noisy (iso 1600) digital picture of my daughter with her milk bottle, turn it into b/w and immediately the lack of color made her eyes draw mine in and wow!

That picture becomes one of my favorite. :D

This quote has been floating around RFF for a while.

"When I want to show you something, I use color. When I want to tell you something, I use black and white."

I still have not seen it put any better than that.

Back