A Hasselblad, more than 40 years after first looking.

70mm Plus-X Pan Mic-X EI 125 by Nokton48, on Flickr

70mm Plus X dated 1981 processed in Legacy Mic-X straight and replenished. Old and outdated it is great as you can see, the original real deal! I have a lot of this and I love it. 100mm F3.5 black T* Planar 500C/M. Hedgeapple tree in my back yard

Sconpho Spotlight 50mm CFV16 EI 100 F22 60mm by Nokton48, on Flickr

Testing the Sconpho Optical Spotlight, on the Broncolor S80 600J Frosted Dome. Hasselblad 500C/M CFV16 Digital Back F22 EI 100 60mm C T* Black Distagon. Trying to get more evenness of illumination across the frame, this has some brightness in the center. May repeat this with the clear dome and see if that makes a difference.

Not being a film fan I have passed on the film HB's. They are masterpieces of the camera maker's art. And they have been between many an excellent photographer and an excellent photograph. But I did my time in the darkroom trenches and have no desire to return. So when the X2D showed up I took a deep breath, sold anything of value and bought one with the XCD 55V lens. It has not disappointed. HB could be faster with firmware updates/upgrades but it is what it is. I have a camera which can make the mundane look better. And here is a link to a local artist of merit, Noel Thomas. While the XCD 55V is exceptionally sharp and accurate it does not present a harsh image. The pores are visible on Noel's face but they do not distract or degrade. That's doing magic. Both JPEG SOOC.

The pic:

And this one of The King of Tacos:

I am very, very happy with this photographic machine. You betcha.

Retrro-Grouch, one of the early pages in this thread is a rugby throw in. I set up the camera on the monopod as I recall and just waited for the moment. It is a somewhat static image. The unusual balletic stillness of the referee who I'd been watching comes out. I used to use a Leica and a 50 or 35 for my son's basketball matches. The wrong cameras for sport can often work well.

Last edited:
Retrro-Grouch, one of the early pages in this thread is a rugby throw in. I set up the camera on the monopod as I recall and just waited for the moment. It is a somewhat static image. The unusual balletic stillness of the referee who I'd been watching comes out. I used to use a Leica and a 50 or 35 for my son's basketball matches. The wrong cameras for sport can often work well.
Very true, just as I often use rangefinders for landscape work. But then, I've seen a number of pictures of Ansel with a Contax, so...

If the camera were the main determinant there would be one helluva lot more great photographers. LOL I am limited by my limited talents. A nice camera, like the HB, will make the mundane a bit more interesting but, alas, it will not make it a great photo. That still takes skill which resides in the head and heart, not the wallet. It's a shame. ;o)

I just bought a second hand C series 50 Distagon in very good condition. It is a black version pre-bayonet. Not sure what to do for a front cap.

The current roll in the camera worries me. After the initial 10 winds for advancing film, from a seemingly perfect load with precise alignment of the two arrows I did not quite get the number 1 in viewing window. After two shots I can see a bit of a 2 and not the white dot after winding on. I can feel the film is transporting. I am not shooting anything critical with this roll.

Any advice on where I might be with this? I swear this one is not my fault. But I've been wrong before. And hopefully again this time. I suspect I’ll be sending the back interstate to my elite Hasselblad expert.

Here are a couple of rugby sidelines shots

000011.jpg by Richard, on Flickr

000010.jpg by Richard, on Flickr

Not being a film fan I have passed on the film HB's. They are masterpieces of the camera maker's art. And they have been between many an excellent photographer and an excellent photograph. But I did my time in the darkroom trenches and have no desire to return. So when the X2D showed up I took a deep breath, sold anything of value and bought one with the XCD 55V lens. It has not disappointed. HB could be faster with firmware updates/upgrades but it is what it is. I have a camera which can make the mundane look better. And here is a link to a local artist of merit, Noel Thomas. While the XCD 55V is exceptionally sharp and accurate it does not present a harsh image.
The X2D is outstanding, a great addition to my immense Hasselblad film based system. But those new V lenses, the 38V and 55V, I had to return them both. They are fine for documentary and portrait type work but simply do not work at all for landscapes where corner sharpness matters. I had them both for 10 days, shot almost 100GB of photos comparing them to my 45P and 65mm 2.8 and they did not even come close to equaling the exceptional optical output of the latter two.

If I can ever find a super cheap used 55V, I would happily use it as a walk around, but soft / smeared corners on a 102MP sensor is a total non-starter for me for landscape work.

I just bought a second hand C series 50 Distagon in very good condition. It is a black version pre-bayonet. Not sure what to do for a front cap.

The current roll in the camera worries me. After the initial 10 winds for advancing film, from a seemingly perfect load with precise alignment of the two arrows I did not quite get the number 1 in viewing window. After two shots I can see a bit of a 2 and not the white dot after winding on. I can feel the film is transporting. I am not shooting anything critical with this roll.

Any advice on where I might be with this? I swear this one is not my fault. But I've been wrong before. And hopefully again this time. I suspect I’ll be sending the back interstate to my elite Hasselblad expert.
As far as the lens cap goes, you'll want the 63mm slip-on cap (also works with the Super Wide C). For the back, yeah that sounds like it needs a servicing. It's probably just the counter mechanism and the little red/white indicator arm that's gummed-up.

Back