A load of old rubbish

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
2:29 PM
They say you can learn a lot about people from what they throw away, but I was surprised at the insights this afforded into the way I live. What can you think of in your own rubbish that says something about you and the way you live? Have you any pictures?

Cheers,

R.

On inspecting my trash, you could tell I have a cat, smoke cigarettes, don't cook at home much, and get lots junk mail. Your trash is much more aesthetic than my trash.

Your trash is much more aesthetic than my trash.

Same here. Far more diet soda cans than wine bottle bails and far more cans than jar tops. I don't see any junk mail in yours, but in mine you would find a number of those items discarded unopened.

You are very lucky to be able to recycle so much metal. Anything metal or plastic smaller than two inches in two directions is forbidden from being included in our recycling stream. So all the film cassettes, 120 spools, lids, caps, pill bottles etc. are simply trash. For living in such a "green" state I find this appalling, but there is nothing to be done without an enormous investment in machinery that nobody can afford to make.

Our recycling is probably pretty equal parts cardboard and wine/cider bottles, which would make up about 60% of it, followed by paper (mail - junk or no longer necessary), cans and a small amount of plastic.

We are soon to have mandatory composting, so all food waste will be removed from the 'trash' side of waste.

Fairly lucky here regarding recycling. The only stuff that goes to landfill is things like wrapping cellophane and polystyrene (it's recyclable but there's no facility to do so) and shredded paper. We put out for recycling: waste food, metal cans, paper, cardboard, glass, plastic bottles, aluminium trays & foil, garden waste. We can take batteries and electrical items to local points for reclaiming and recycling or disposal. My "landfill" bin takes about 3-4 pedal-bin liner's worth a month.

"A load of old rubbish"

I then read the posts. All I can say is:

"Aw, phoooey! I thought I'd found the right place to post the pics I take... "

My rubbish usually has bottle tops from cheap French bubbly. After reading Roger's page I am tonight trying Spanish 'cava'.

:)

pisses me off a lot when i see things like, banana wrapped in shrink foil, or the package of childrens' toys esp. dolls

Recycling can go funny, too. A few years back, my county signed a 5-years contract with the locak garbage processing plant for a certain nr of tons of household garbage per year.
However the recycling spinned up and a LOT of the regular garbage "disappeared" in glass paper and plastic recycling centers.
Guess what; the county had to pay millions in fine to the processing plant because "we didn't supply them with enough waste to process".

:bang:

My rubbish usually has bottle tops from cheap French bubbly. After reading Roger's page I am tonight trying Spanish 'cava'.

:)
Dear Fergus,

Normally (not always) the Cava is vastly better than French fizz of the same price. A good Cava is often better than a cheap Champagne, let alone Saumur.

Cheers,

R.

Back