A mysterious black Leica IIIf outfit with a U.S. Navy connection? Yes, and it’s for sale!

Jason Schneider

the Camera Collector
Local time
2:59 PM
A mysterious black Leica IIIf outfit with a U.S. Navy connection?
Yes, and it’s for sale at the Ostlicht-Auction in Vienna on June 5, 2024!

By Jason Schneider

My ears perked up when my longtime friend and fellow camera fanatic Stephen Gandy tipped me off to a unique black Leica IIIf being auctioned off at the prestigious Ostlicht-Action headed up by esteemed Leica expert Peter Coeln. I knew there were about 125 black finished Leca IIf’s and IIIg’s produced on special order for the Swedish military from around 1956 to 1960, many engraved with the Swedish “three crowns” logo and fitted with black finished 50mm f/3.5 Elmar lenses. I’d also heard the story of one lucky LeicaRumors reader who had purchased a rare factory black Leica IIIg for $23,800 in 2019, and then sold it for a cool $477,000 in 2021! But this Leica IIIf, complete with Leicavit trigger winder and late model 50mm f/2.0 Summitar, was originally shipped to the U.S. Naval Forces in Germany and then reappeared in a beautiful black finish (except for the chrome finished lens) that may or may not have been applied in Wetzlar!

Leica IIIf frm Auction catalog.jpg
Auction Camera: Rare black Leica IIIf with Leicavit trigger winder and 50mm f/2 Summitar It was shipped to the U.S. Naval Forces in '65, but was it originally black?

So, I wrote to Peter Coeln directly and here’s his gracious and charming response:

“Dear Jason,
Thank you, this is the text we wrote about the camera:

Leica IIIf Black + Leicavit 'US Navy', no. 813372, 1956 B/A condition.
Extremely interesting black paint IIIf with black Leicavit. According to the delivery book of Leitz the camera was shipped with Summitar lens on September 19th, 1956, to the United States Naval Forces in Schierstein bei Wiesbaden (order no.51848). The camera is also engraved inside with the identical serial number, the quality of the black paint of this unknown military camera is very professional. It comes with the late 50mm f/2 Summitar lens and the black base plate. It came from a private collection; there is no other provenience. The paint is well done, but maybe not by Leitz.

There are many other nice and rare cameras in the sale, see some highlights here: https://www.ostlicht-auction.com/highlights_ocas2024/

Best regards,
Peter Coeln

Black Leica IIIf with matching Lecavit.jpg

Bottom view of beautiful black Leica IIIf red dial with black Leicavit trigger winder and chrome 50mm f/2 Summitar. Will it meet or exceed its auction estimate price?

Near mint factory tlack Leica IIIf No. 822990 with black finished 5cm f:3.5 Elmar.jpg
Rare black Leica IIIf with black 5cm f/3.5 Elmar: A small number of such cameras were made for the Swedish military, many with "3 crowns" logo (not shown here).

Was this gorgeous Leica IIIf outfit originally finished in chrome when it left the factory back in ’56 and subsequently refinished in black with a red flash sync delay scale by an unnamed master craftsman? Or was it a special-order black camera for the US Navy? Leitz was well-known for making special orders come true, especially for special customers. Lacking the official manufacturing or service records, we may never know. Based on its serial number, we can confirm it’s a late Leica IIIf red dial with self-timer of 1956. And based on its unique history and surpassing beauty it’s sure to find a happy home in the collection of a discerning Leica collector who has the financial wherewithal to invest in this timeless treasure.

Black Auction IIIf, top view.jpg
Top view of black Leica IIIf body with body cap shows red flash sync delay numerals around top shutter dial. Wind knob has ASA and Weston film speed windows.

Details from official auction listing

Lot 51

Text in English

Extremely interesting black paint IIIf with black Leicavit and Summitar 2/5cm no.848561. According to the delivery book of Leitz the camera was shipped with Summitar lens on September 19th, 1956 to the 'United States Naval Forces' in Schierstein near Wiesbaden (order no.51848), with the black paint base plate. The camera is also inside engraved with the identical serial number, the quality of the black paint of this unknown military camera is very professional.

Start price: €2,600
Estimate: €5,000 – 5,500
SN: 813372
Year: 1956
Condition: B/A

Well used factory black Leica IIIf No. 822909,, back view.jpg
Back view of well used black Leica IIIf: Most military models are found in similar condition, and many collectors consider such "brassing" to be a badge of honor.

Heartfelt thanks to Peter Coeln and to James Lager for providing the images and information for this article.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to collect converted black ltm cameras, still have a few left. They seem to ask more questions than they answer.

This is a very good looking camera but...

Would a special order for the military have a self timer (unless it was ordered as a gift for a retiring senior officer)?

Who knows...caveat emptor.

It's funny to see extra value placed because it was delivered to the Navy. Some of the Optical Engineers that worked for me told stories of buying up Nikon RF lenses- just to take the optics out of them and use in experiments. I found some of the remnants when an old building was being shutdown. They preferred Nikon, stated they were the best optics- and was a lot cheaper than having the optics made to order. Which we also did.

This is a beauty- but an obvious repaint.

Yes, a beautifully done repaint. It reminds a bit of soviet Leica copies, which, when well done, look beautiful in black paint.
Yes, even some of the outlandish Russian military fakes look cool in black finish, but beneath the decent black paint beats the heart of a Fed or Zorki, which may be OK for taking pictures but is no Leica.

I used to collect converted black ltm cameras, still have a few left. They seem to ask more questions than they answer.

This is a very good looking camera but...

Would a special order for the military have a self timer (unless it was ordered as a gift for a retiring senior officer)?

Who knows...caveat emptor.
It is not likely that a genuine military Leica used by combat photographers or intended for specific military applications would have had a self-timer, but a Leica that was “shipped to U.S Naval Forces in Germany” in the postwar period could and did. The only Leicas that can truly be called “military Leicas” are those with military markings, special finishes or serial numbers, or non-standard features like ball bearing shutter mechanisms or factory “winterization.”

Back