Canon LTM A new to me QL-17 - Too much adventure...

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
W

wlewisiii

So, I was inspired by all the talk here and saw a GIII QL-17 with flash on ebay for a price I could handle. Won it and then got it a couple of days ago. As was said in the ad, the cosmetics aren't great (ok, it's rather fugly). No battery 0 that's expected. And the flash is missing :bang:

Email the pawn shop that ebayed the camera. They apologize and promise to send the flash. I go out and get a new Wien cell. Nada happens. :bang: :bang: I put it up on a shelf a go back to trying to learn my too many other new toys.

Get the second box today. Instead of a canoilite D it's a Vivitar 3500. With a Pentax DM that has no PC socket. :bang: :bang: :bang:
I email them again. They said the couldn't find the Canon flash so they sent that one because it too had 2 contacts on the bottom :rolleyes: . Saying that they didn''t know much about flashes they asked what they should send. What the heck, I asked for a Vivitar 283 or 285HV or perhaps even a Metz shoe flash... :D

The plus side, if you'll pardon the expression, was when I found the QL-17 manual online tonight and realized that I'd put the battery in backwards :eek: Get the + pointing towards the lens and everything lights up just fine. I've now got a roll of T400CN in it that hopefully I'll get shot and one-houred tomorrow to see how it works. The only complaint I have is that it seems almost too small for me - but then, I love the feel of my GSN and my 645E.

I'll post some shots tomorrow I hope.

Yikes!

William

you call it inspiration

we call it addiction!

i have a lovely minolta 7s (nice big camera) that only works in manual, not auto. care to make an offer? buhahahah...

joe

Heh. There's a Yashica Lynx 14 over at the local St.Vinnies that I'm pondering first. Really hosed battery well is holding me back, but I keep thinking that maybe a bit of vinegar...

What?

William

That QL17 was small to my hands at first as well but shoot a couple rolls and you'll think your GSN feels like an F5.

Todd

William,

Delighted to hear the news of your latest acquisition and that the meter works fine. As Joe said in another message, good thing RFF has started a Canon section. Good luck with it, and with the flash unit. (I so rarely use a flash I forget where I store mine ...)

Gene

i'm with you gene. i have a tiny, manual flash that i keep in my bag and another vivitar 285 (i think) that stays in the closet.
i have no idea why i bought them.

William is definitely on an acquisition binge.

How about Joe and I giving you a little group rate for our Himatic 7s and 9. Great cameras. No collection is complete without both.

<grin> Ohm eventually I'm sure. But the spree has come to it's natural end - the wallet is empty and the credit card is maxed... What I really need to do is get my home darkroom finished so that I don't have to wait on film being sent to a lab. I think I need to go ask some ?'s in the diafine thread...

William

William, you're now going downhill and straight into... Camera Heaven!

I still use my Canonet. Not as often, must admit, but it's a camera that transforms you. Regarding the flash... Check if the Vivitar you got has ISO settings. The only "problem" with the Canolite is its mean full discharge. If you get a flash that allows you to regulate the intensity, it can be a nice tool to use as fill-flash.

Now... post some pics! :)

Haven't gotten the film back yet, but I gotta say I've not been grabbed by this one. For me, the focus is awkward, it feels just a bit too small, I don't think _anyone_ makes yellow, orange and red filters in that size and the shutter priority AE is just too wierd for words. It's hardly a bad camera and I expect that when I scrounge up enough money to go pick up the developed film the shots will be very nice indeed. Still, it's just not got the feel that, say, the GSN does for me.

It does actually fit in the pocket of my blue jeans though and it does have full manual override. Those are two big pluses so I'm hardly going to ditch it. But I do have the feeling that I won't burn as much film in it as in some of my other cameras. Perhaps I should find a color film I like and keep it in the glove compartment for those times when nothing else is handy.

William

48mm used to be popular, but no longer. It is much easier to find than the 41mm filters that the Summarit takes. The focus lever feels natural if you are used to cameras that use "tabs" or "levers", such as Leica and Older Canons. It does keep your hand from blocking the VF while focussing. I end up using the focus wheel on the Nikons far more than I ever thought I would for that reason. But if you mainly shoot SLR's, it is a different feel that can be difficult to get used to.

One solution for filters is to buy a series VII filter adapter and filters for the camera. That was my Summarit solution. It also gives the advantage of sharing filters with the AE1 and GSN. I should add that these filters are old, plentiful, and cheap. I have never had a problem with any of my filters dating back 60 years or more.

backalley photo said:
i'm with you gene. i have a tiny, manual flash that i keep in my bag and another vivitar 285 (i think) that stays in the closet.
i have no idea why i bought them.

I have a itty-bitty little K-Mart brand flash that takes a couple of triple-a batteries and has a hot-shoe contact. I toss it in my bag, but I find I use it all the time on outdoor people shots. I just expose normally, or if I really think the flash is going to give me that much more, I change it a stop at most. I find it surprising how much you can open up a face with that little bit of pop.

I actually use it more outside than in. Try it for a roll if you're going out to do people pics! Just pretend it isn't on the camera and meter normally, or bracket if you feel so inclined.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

There is a 48-49mm adapter that allows 49mm accessories to be used on the Canons. I picked up one in a misc. parts bin for $3 a few months ago. I thin Filter Connection still sells them new.

-Paul

Back