A study in black and white: One year with the Monochrom

I guess I find the blog post a bit condescending concerning b&w photography, and photography in general. To say that you've learned all that you need to know about b&w photography in a year, seems a bit short sighted to me. Filters, lighting, searching for contrast in subject matter, etc. there is a lot of material. I might say that it's given you a step in the right direction, but I wouldn't say that you've mastered it. The work is good, but not monumental. I enjoyed your photography, but there is definite room for critique. Did you explore the MM with any color filters to see their effect? Utilize the Zone system at all in conceptualizing your images? Besides being a B&W sensor, what did the MM teach you about working in B&W? I guess I found your post lacking in substance on the matter.

I'm happy you learned from the experience, but think the post needs a bit more meat on the bones so to speak.

Color filters, yes: http://bophotography.net/2012/12/18/leica-m-monochrom-and-color-filters/

More articles: http://bophotography.net/category/photo-gear/

All of my shots from the MM that I've posted on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/borgei/sets/72157631901824403/

Examples:
set-72157631901824403
8424515026_d075c668a4_b.jpg

8420089888_073be26350_b.jpg

8287356348_b5110321f8_b.jpg

I have shot a lot of moving subjects / street photography as well, but those shots are mostly contained in closed projects thus far. The pictures that I show in my blog posts are just ment to be processing examples really.

Those 3 images look gorgeous - I'm really warming to the MM which is bloody dangerous because I can't afford it!

But you only live once eh?

Those 3 images look gorgeous - I'm really warming to the MM which is bloody dangerous because I can't afford it!

But you only live once eh?

Thanks. It's a lovely camera that creates the richest raw files that I have ever seen. But I can't afford or justify owning two M's, and I need color now and then, and that's the only reason I decided to sell it and get a M240. I'd love to own an MM again in the future when 2nd hand prices are much lower.

Also, displaying MM files on the web really doesn't do it justice at all. Everyone should print their images now and then. Backlit LCD's can trash any image.

Thanks Børge for posting the link to the article. It is always nice to read about a camera like this. I will never be able to afford gear like this...

Interscandinavian harrassment: måske ville jeg have kunnet, hvis I ikke havde stjålet vores olie ;-)

...but I always enjoy seeing the gear used in real life and your country is just so beautiful - even though the web does not do the IQ justice. Some of your landscapes must be amazing on screen.

So far I have only skimmed the additional pictures on your site but will revert later.

Good luck with your new gear
Xpanded

Also, displaying MM files on the web really doesn't do it justice at all. Everyone should print their images now and then. Backlit LCD's can trash any image.

Just curious, what have you been using for printing? How have they turned out?

I really like that first shot above. I have been toying with the idea of a MM for awhile. Primarily shoot Delta 100 on my Arcbody/Xpan/Linhof 612 and M6 but over last couple of weeks have been playing with digital with my A99/Adapted Leica R PC28 and my RX-1. I did a little test a the best shot taken with Arcbody/A99/RX-1 over a weekend and sent 1500x1500 shots to a couple of friends and asked which they liked best. A99/Arcbody/RX-1 was the order of preference. I used SEII to convert and added Delta 100 grain. Very subjective test I know but these people know my work. I am going to give digital a go for awhile I think and MM is an attractive proposition.

If I ever could justify spending the money for a digital Leica M, it would be for the Monochrome.

Your pictures are very good also.
Thanks for sharing.

Well, I do not want to sound critical, but this review is in my eyes rather superficial.
Looking at these images, I notice two things:
- you are very far away from what I would define as a proficient B&W photographer, so your claim, that you have "mastered" B&W processing, is in my opinion premature. Perhaps it would have been more useful, to do this one year B&W experiment on film, and learn better how to get the best of it, to have a good yardstick. Recently, there has been an article on the dying art of B&W printing - this is a good place to start:
http://theliteratelens.com/2012/02/17/magnum-and-the-dying-art-of-darkroom-printing/
- secondly, from what I can see, Monochrom has an advantage over colour sensors not only in resolution, but also in tonality, and this you will not be able to replicate with the M240, so your claim is too optimistic, and also because of this, you have sold this camera prematurely
My point of view is, that although experienced photographers can make the Monochrom images look very close to film, it is still deficient in critical highlight rendition. On the other hand, it has superior resolution and great ISO performance, so for somebody who is content with this look, it certainly is a unique tool.
Perhaps the key lesson for you could be, that you are not a B&W photographer, and this in itself can be very valuable, letting you concentrate on what you really care about.

I was wondering in what way is the OP very far away from a proficient B@W photographer as you claim? Just curious.

Cheers>

Hi Børge

I thoroughly enjoyed your words and pictures in the article and posted here. I will delve deeper into your articles in search of inspiration and tips.

It is hilarious how "I am definitely not a "master”, and probably never will be. But I really like photographing in black and white" goes through the RFF translator and comes out as "I am a master and I know everything about B&W".

John

The OP sold the camera and he is happy with his decision, that's fair enough to me.

I would love an MM, but know it is overkill for my purposes too. A3 is the biggest I print. I have an M8 which does that digitally and I could never give up shooting TriX. I still love looking at the pictures people are making with the MM, it really does have its own look.

I guess with demand for the MM you didn't loose a whole lot on the transaction? Probably cheaper than renting.

I agree with this completely- leave the OP alone. He is merely sharing his experiences !

Back