• DR Cron

Votes: 40 70.2%

• Total voters

jmooney

Guy with a camera
Local time
7:37 AM
Hi All,

I've currently got two 50's for my M2 and at this point I can't justify keeping both of them and I'm having a tough time deciding which should go. I know I'm the only one that can truly decide but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this matter.

I'm stuck between a Collapsible 'Cron and a DR 'Cron (no eyes).

Which would you choose and why?

Take care,

Jim

What is the relative condition of each lens?
DR Summicron performance usually has the edge over the Collapsible Summicron, but condition can swing either way.

Do you plan to ever get an M8 or M9?

The DR Summicron cannot be mounted on the M8 and M9.

Hi Brian,

They are both in very good condition. The collapsible has a stiff aperture ring but it's off for a CLA either way. I'd honestly say condition is about equal. I doubt an M8 or M9 is in my future at this point. I'd love to have an M9 but there is just no way financially (mortgage, need a new truck, two little kids, etc.) so that isn't really a factor at this point but a good thought though.

Jim

I would keep the DR, and sell the collapsible Summicron as-is. You probably will not recoupe the cost of a CLA in the selling price, as opposed to selling it as-is and letting the buyer either DIY a CLA, or pay for one if necessary.

Brian is wise, but I'd keep the collapsible because it makes the camera easier to carry which means you are more likely to have it with you.

If there is a cult lens, it's the DR. First Mandler design, first Leica computer-assisted lens design, wonderful optimization between sharpness and beautiful OOF rendering. No question for me, keep the DR. Add the eyes when you get a chance, they are lots of fun to use.

If you want small, the Leica is the wrong tool anyways.

Roland.

I believe the price hype of the DR has something to do with Roland's comment on each every one of those "which 50mm" threads. :D

And the M9 buyers believing me ? :)

I'm working hard on making the world discover the true Leica bokeh king :)

Sell the collapsible and get a pair of goggles for your DR to utilize its macro features.

Take a pic with both, same time same place , same light. Use 2,2.8,4.0 on each subject.
Find 6 subjects x six exp each is 36 exp. Some good light, some bad.

It should become obvious the DR is the better lens. At 5.6 8 11 they will sort of even out.

Or just take my advice and sell the collapsible as is.

Use proceeds to finanace a 35 & 90 and you will be good until the kids complete college and you have more free cash.

Same here.
I voted DR cause it suits my tastes better, but, when it comes to Art how can you be reasonable in any way and follow the herd's advice ? It's all about you.
So I would just take a minute to watch the pictures I have made with both lenses and choose accordingly to my favorite photographs. You'll have the best tool right in front of you.

yes (there's no right answer here) =)

Last edited:
Before voting, I guessed there would be 70% voting for the DR. I was close.
The collapsible Cron is OK but not as good overall as a DR or Rigid Cron.

The DR is a more versatile lens than the rigid. In my humble opinion, the close focusing capability is a good reason to make me keep it. If money is not an issue, I would suggest keeping both. There will be times the compactness of the collapsible cron is more desired if one likes to slip the whole set up into the coat pocket. If the collapsible cron holds sentimental value to you then keep it for obvious reasons.

I used to have a collapsible 50 but never collapsed it. Now I have a 50 DR. I think you should keep the DR, and get goggles for it.

Both. That's what I did. For just walking around, Collapsible is soooo much lighter, but for close-up and for wide open, it's the DR all the way. Be a Summicron completist! You know you want to!
Vic

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate them. It looks like it's going to be the DR for me. I've lived with both of them for a bit now and the decision maker was the focus and aperture rings. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and it affects my hands and fingers and the controls on the Collapsible just don't work well for me. The big meaty focus ring on the DR is really nice. I know I couldn't go wrong optically with either so that did make the decision a bit easier.

So it looks like the Collapsable will be going on the block. So that leaves me with the DR and a 90 Elmar for my new friend the M2. Off to find a 35. I only wish Leica made a 35 with a focus ring like the DR's.

Take care,

Jim

Back