a Thank You-a lens question for my new/first Leica, a M6:

Canon made many nice lenses in Leica thread mount (LTM) - including a 35/2 that is said to be very close in quality to the older Summicrons. And it is much cheaper if you can wait for the right deal. In fact, you could probably get both a Canon 35/2 and a Canon 50/1.4 for the price of a 35/2 Summicron... You need LTM-M adapters but those are abundant and convenient. Another possibility, at least.

BTW, there is no 28mm f/2.4 Elmarit. So, did you mean 28mm f/2.8 or 24mm f/2.8?

ottluuk- yes, i made a mistake- its 28mm f/2.8. thank you I was not aware of the canon- ill check it out... Thank you

Hi Daniel - for a handy reference on the drawings of many lenses, by many photographers here (with admittedly only web based images) have a look at http://www.flickr.com/groups/m-mount/

Scroll down to the lens of your choice - see you in a few days ;-)

BTW I have the canon 35/2 - great sharp small package on the Ms and cheap 2nd body LTM option, and the Canon 50 / 1.4 summilux contender. Very happy with each. GAS remains for the C biogon 35...of course, but it is RFF

ottluuk- yes, i made a mistake- its 28mm f/2.8. thank you I was not aware of the canon- ill check it out... Thank you

28mm is a great focal length in my opinion. I would pair it with a 50 instead of a 35 but that's down to personal choice and experience. I shot with 28+50 exclusively for about two years (mostly 28 but the 50 was invaluable at times) and I have greatly enjoyed using the 28mm-equivalent lens on the small-sensor Ricoh GRD. But now I have a 35/50/90 combination for the Leica and that works well enough.

I've got two 35mm lenses: the c-Biogon and the f2.8 summaron. They are both excellent but if I could keep only one it would definitely be the summaron. It's very hard to say why but I feel that the pictures are somehow a bit "gentler" if that makes any sense. My strong recommendation would be to grab one if you see one at a price you like.

final decision-35mm f/2.0 Summicron Asph!

final decision-35mm f/2.0 Summicron Asph!

All:
First off, a very sincere Thank You for RFF's existence, the generous sharing of your experience, advice and passion here makes this a wonderful place.
i stumbled upon RFF last summer after becoming under a spell and obsessed with making images with my Fuji x100 (still am), looked at the wonderful images in the gallery for hours over many days, started reading the forums and been here almost daily ever since.
i'm primarily a painter/drawing and find photography as a strong influence/complement to my own art making process. Thus RFF has reinvigorated my interest in 35mm film and opened the door for a journey in learning the RF camera. After an unexpected selling of one of my pieces, I decided to buy my first Leica/lens. I went down a path of thinking the M5 was for me (started a thread here as such), until my surprise, I just bought my first RF yesterday-a black classic Leica M6 yesterday (over the phone-being shipped-getting here Tuesday) by a Leica dealer who I have bought other film cameras from before. Again- Thank You I am very excited.
I would of preferred a FOV of 35mm for my style of shooting for my first lens but they didn't have anything under $3k-$4k. They did have a Leica lens 28/2.4 for $999. in great condition which they are shipping with the M6, to try and feel it out for a week-get them both Tuesday. I know I have to educate myself on the world of Leica lens & non Leica lens options but-
Now to my question: What would be the 35mm lens for $1500 and under that are well built & have a decent speed, Leica and non-Leica and whats the different feeling of the lens? If there is a URL out there that I should know of, that would also be great. Again- Thank you in advance- daniel.

All: Thank you again for your insight... final decision was the 28mm could of grown on me but not the right lens to live with one lens- decided went with a 35mm f/2.0 Summicron Asph being shipped. Thanks again-dan'l

Back