A truly wonderful photographic day

mfunnell

Shaken, so blurred
Local time
7:22 AM
I had a great day today, doing almost nothing but things photographic.

There's more back-story here than I'll bore you with, but my father (who has always been a keen photographer) had become quite enthused about medium format film photography - much influenced my recently-found enthusiasm for film-based RF photography. Dad had always wanted a Mamiya medium-format outfit and I'd suggested to him that, in this "all-digital" era, now might be just the right time to buy.

Last week I'd wandered into Mainline Photography in Crows Nest and seen that Scott had a Mamiya 645 Pro SLR outfit going for south of $700Aust. Dad wanted it, I bought it, and he rode his BMW bike up from Canberra, today, to collect it. I'd had Scott show me how to load the 120 roll-film into the back (never having touched such a thing myself) so the camera was ready to go. Dad wanted (sensibly enough) to shoot the roll of film, put it in the bag and run through the loading procedure himself.

So, rather than spend time messing about looking for something worth shooting a frame of, I suggested we go down to Bradfield Park in Kirribilli (directly under the Harbour Bridge and opposite the Opera House) where we'd not be short of subjects (even if they are somewhat hackneyed subjects). We did so, set the camera up on the tripod - then spent about the next 45 minutes trying to figure out why, no matter what we did, we couldn't get the shutter to release :bang: :bang:

While that sounds bad it did mean we really thought about all the controls, and all the things that open and shut on an MF SLR. As it happens, just at the last minute of despair, Dad suggested removing and re-seating the lens - and all was goodness after that :D :D (but also :eek: ).

While all this was going on (the messing about, and the photography afterwards) I was using my Hexar RF to take shots of both the process and the scenery. Dad even took a shot of me doing so, with the little digicam he took along as well:

(I'm the bald, um, beggar to right of frame with the tripod and camera bag slung over my shoulder).

With only a few shots left on the roll we then knocked off to Northbridge where Dad wanted to get shots of the old sandstone bridge with the few remaining frames on the roll.

Here he is, setting up:

(Again taken with Dad's digicam, but this time by me.)

Having finished up we knocked off back to my place, worked out how to unload the old roll, had me (and the manual) take Dad through loading the new roll - then had a long discussion about lessons learned, film versus digital (both good, for both of us, though for many different reasons and in many different ways).

Only time will tell whether our photographic output was justified (Dad with his 120 roll and the roll of 36 I fired off through the RF). But the process and the company was wonderful. Dad is very enthusiastic about his Mamiya gear - and has also formed a high regard for the Hexar RF I was using. He's asked me to keep an eye out for one at the right price, because now he wants to try the whole RF experience (having never used one) for himself.

We also (over a couple of whiskeys and a liqueur muscat) went through Dad's photographic history - from his first Box Brownie onwards. Interesting - I mean really interesting.

As a photographic exercise, and as a father/son exercise, you just couldn't ask for much better. Dad is heading back to Canberra tomorrow with his Mamiya firmly in one of his saddlebags. But an even better thought is that Dad, Mum and I are about to head off to Queensland in a couple of weeks (to O'Reilly's guesthouse) for a week-long photographic workshop. I couldn't have asked for a better prelude - and I know we'll be using that Mamiya (along with all our digital gear and my RF stuff as well).

As you can no-doubt tell, though, I'm pretty pleased by today. I just hope the photos come out well, as well, once the film is developed.

...Mike

Last edited:
Nice story Mike. I know you want the film to come out well, but the memories of this day will be good even if the photos aren't! Have fun on the upcoming workshop.

Not only was that a great day photographicly, but you are obviously spending time and thinking about your parents. Very important!
My Dad has been gone for more than eight years not, but I vividly remember the photographic fellowship we had (along with working on the farm, fishing, flying, gardening, and hundreds of other things.) Everyone should be so fortunate. :cool:

Back