A7, A7R, A7S, or wait until after Photokina?

A7, A7R, A7S, or wait until after Photokina?

• Total voters
Ugh. Why oh why did I sell my 40/1.4??!!! :bang:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/08/29/sony-a7-and-the-nokton-40mm-f1-9-by-andrew-kaiser/

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the SC or the MC version would be best with a digital sensor, anyway? (The one I sold was the SC.)

I do have the 35/1.2 II, which I love, but it is hefty. I have big hands so find the 35 fits my hands nicely, but must admit at times the diminutive 40 would be nice.

I don't think there's going to be much difference in terms of color (the in-camera white balance covers that), but won't the SC version flare more and have problems with internal reflection, especially with digital sensors? I've only used the MC before...should be an interesting comparison:D

Ugh. Why oh why did I sell my 40/1.4??!!! :bang:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/08/29/sony-a7-and-the-nokton-40mm-f1-9-by-andrew-kaiser/

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the SC or the MC version would be best with a digital sensor, anyway? (The one I sold was the SC.)

I do have the 35/1.2 II, which I love, but it is hefty. I have big hands so find the 35 fits my hands nicely, but must admit at times the diminutive 40 would be nice.

I'm sure both versions of the Nokton 40/1.4 will work about the same. The MC version will have less tendency to flare, which is likely a good thing for a digital sensor.

I have both Nokton 40/1.4 MC and M-Rokkor 40/2. For use with the Sony A7, I prefer the M-Rokkor 40/2; the Nokton shows a small amount of smearing at corners. It's not too bad, but it is there.

Basically, you can use anything you want on it. Some lenses will show some issues ... you work around the issues. That's part of the fun of it. :)

G

Well, I was reading earlier today that it's looking like Sony will not make any major camera announcements at Photokina, but that they will be coming 3-4 of months later....

Well, I was reading earlier today that it's looking like Sony will not make any major camera announcements at Photokina, but that they will be coming 3-4 of months later....

How long do you want to wait before making photographs?
The A7 is quite good enough. :)

G

How long do you want to wait before making photographs? The A7 is quite good enough. :) G
yeah, I'm leaning that way, actually.

Just spent a lot of money on the guest room, though, so for the moment trying to use up some film stock.

shame couldn't alter the poll. to those that voted to wait until after photokina, I'm curious what you'd vote now?

shame couldn't alter the poll. to those that voted to wait until after photokina, I'm curious what you'd vote now?

The A7S is the best camera among them in my opinion.

-metal flange (which makes more of a difference in feel than you might realize as lenses don't wiggle like on the A7 and A7R/will allow snugger adapted lens pairing)
-silent shutter/efcs (the rolling, silent shutter is indispensable to me, given the right situation)
-better autofocus than A7R
-less shutter lag
-superior video features
-improved evf
-two batteries & wall charger in box
-and then the truly great low light capabilities
-sensor performs better with WA lenses/rangefinder lenses
-A7R exhibits bullseye pattern with any lens because of tilted microlenses (shooting on a plain, flat field and increase saturation/vibrancy in post to make this flaw more evident; that said, I've seen it in normal photography before, so it's not isolated to only testing conditions)

Traveling with the A7 right now. It's working great, using it with 24, 50, and 90 mm Leica R lenses. Zero problems.

G

It's the most interesting for me. With the announcement of A7 II, I think I will now wait for the updated version of the A7s, though. Unless the price of the current model takes a massive preemptive hit.

It's the most interesting for me. With the announcement of A7 II, I think I will now wait for the updated version of the A7s, though. Unless the price of the current model takes a massive preemptive hit.

Well, I think the A7sII will be a while since the "s" isn't that old yet.

I rented all three, but unfortunately not at the same time to make comparison easy. The "r" files are indeed huge, and not sure really need that. I'm not sure how or why, but it just seemed as if I was happier with the results of the "s" than the others, and it did seem the shutter wasn't as loud (of course had the silent mode, under special circumstances.)

Rumor has it the "A9" will be a pro model to compete with high end Canon/Nikon: read, will be expensive. Something should be announced Jan/Feb of 2015.

I've been slowly going through a small stockpile of film I have, so haven't been sweating it. However, I must admit to being tempted to just pre-order the A7m2. I definitely like the improved ergonomics, which I think will make my largish hands happier. Sounds like it'll be a bit faster, which is always good. It would be nice, with the bigger body bulk and better dust/water protection, if the shutter is at least a tad quieter. Anyway, for all that it has, price isn't too bad. The "s", however, is still pretty expensive.

-A7R exhibits bullseye pattern with any lens because of tilted microlenses (shooting on a plain, flat field and increase saturation/vibrancy in post to make this flaw more evident; that said, I've seen it in normal photography before, so it's not isolated to only testing conditions)
I've not seen this in my pictures.

I was tempted to get an A7s, but I think I'd prefer a NEX-7 body with the A7s sensor.

Back