A7(R) or Leica?

You'd better stem your enthusiasm a bit? Only few M lenses of 50mm and below will work on A7 without smearing and tinting the corners. Your CV 35 1.2 will work well, but your 50 Sonnar is one that won't. R and other retrofocus lenses work better than M in the mid-wide and normal focal lengths. This was the initial confusion: folks thought the A7/r was a new low cost, high ISO platform for M lenses, but they turned out instead to be the digital bodies that saved R glass.

Isn't the 50 Sonnar just incredibly soft in the corners to begin with? The very design of the lens was to provide a "classic" rendering with aspherical elements or excessive correction.

For what it's worth, the similar 50lux pre-a does not show outstanding corner issues. Neither does any of the other Leica 50s I've tested.

Frankly, I find the opposite to be the case. My A7 JPEGs right out of the camera are far better than what I get in JPEGs out of the M9.

I see zero value to the whole "CCD vs CMOS" sensor riff. To me, that's internet myth at work. While the response curve of a CCD is different from the response curve of a CMOS sensor, the magic is in the image processing downstream from the chip. I get excellent results out of both when I work with the raw files, but the M9 raw files generally take more work to achieve what I'm after.

G

I should have said that "given the right metering and AWB", the M9's response is more non-linear (which many may find pleasing) compared to CMOS cameras.

And of course, the M9's metering and AWB are both messy and unpredictable, while I can count on the A7 to be 1/3 stop underexposed and slightly to the yellow...

thanks to everyone.

But I can't accept that feels like plastic body and weird controls&menu...

Nothing beats a Leica in user experience at least I think so.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding RF lenses on the A7. I don't have a lot of legacy SLR lenses, and what I'm really after is a modern body with flip screen and focus peaking that will accurately handle RF lenses. I'd really prefer full frame, but aps-c is just okay. The Ricoh GXR is magnificent but is eventually going to cark it (die, in Australian slang). Perhaps the new Sony A6000 might be an aps-c alternative.

sold my M9 and bought an A7 so that I could use all my legacy lenses in one digital body, sure the body design is not the greatest, slow start up time (even with newest firmware) and EVF screen means I can't just bring it to my eye and pre-visualize the shot.

but what I gain from it is that I can use all my legacy lenses in one body.
faster buffer than the M9, higher ISO, more accurate manual focusing and if I damage/break the camera, easier to repair

Nothing beats a Leica in user experience at least I think so.

Aw man, I thought that was obvious. Only a Leica gives you the Leica feeling. You want a Leica for the Leica user experience, buy a Leica. Don't accept substitutes because they'll only make you want the real thing even more.
Only a Leica is spelled L-E-I-C-A, not Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, Ricoh, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Voigtlander, Zeiss ZM, Contax, or etc. All the best for your long trip with the X1 and M6.

Funkydog is right. If you want a Leica experience buy a Leica. If you are looking for a Minolta experience buy a Minolta; a Contax experience, a Contax.

Kind of similar if you are looking for a digital experience. It just does no good to buy a film camera, no matter how nice it may be.

:)

Funkydog is right. If you want a Leica experience buy a Leica. If you are looking for a Minolta experience buy a Minolta; a Contax experience, a Contax.

Kind of similar if you are looking for a digital experience. It just does no good to buy a film camera, no matter how nice it may be.

:)

Agree!

JMO While you can use Leica M lens on other digital camera and may well get better results than shooting with a digital M its not the same experiece. Of course that's neither good or bad depending on which is more important to the individual the Leica experience or the final results.

Back