A7II small 50mm lens options

twopointeight

Well-known
Local time
12:36 AM
I've been borrowing a 50mm Loxia for my A7II. I don't own any lenses yet. I want only one small 50mm manual focus lens. The Loxia makes great images but the set-up gets a bit heavy. Seeking suggestions for small 50mm lenses that have no issues with the sensor in the A7II and render images well.

I use the Olympus OM Zuiko 50/1.8 MC, 50/1.4 MC and Leitz Summicron R 50/2 II. All are fantastic. No issues. Yes, like mrtoml just said, check the website above.

My favourite portable lens on the A7S is the Elmar-M 50/2.8 shown below. The purple ring is to stop the collapsed lens hitting the inside of the camera.
U51008I1494726344.SEQ.0.jpg

iPhone photo

Mcfingon, that's the Purple Rubber Band of Asparagus! Or is it from broccolini? In NSW anyway.
Perfect for such applications.

Here's an example from the Elmar-M on the A7S. I think it works very well for something that was never designed for that platform. The OP's username fits well with this lens too.
U51008I1516259229.SEQ.0.jpg

Nikkor AI 1.8/50 "pancake"
You hardly can get any smaller without accepting performance issues.

You have a camera that you can use with all 50s ever made... Can you state more specific requirements? Want to shoot wide open? Or is small the only requirement? Budget? Compared to that loxia, most others are small though.
In any case for an all purpose lens I would look at the Minolta 50s because I like the colour they give. If you're after interesting character for portraits and slightly pictoralist landscapes, also look at the legendary Minolta 58s and the soviet Jupiter 3 and on a tighter budget, Jupiter 8.

Thanks for all your replies. I purchased the Loxia 50mm after borrowing one for a couple of weeks. I got hooked on the image quality and found one for a very good price.

Back