A7R Concerns

hunz

Established
Local time
8:09 AM
I'm interested in getting the A7R for my Leica lenses. A couple of things concern me..

1. Shutter noise -- is it really that bad in real life? and is it louder than say my X-Pro1?

2. Wide angle lens use -- so I have a 28/2.8 Elmarit, a 24/2.8 Elmarit, and a WATE. How do these perform. I have read not great for anything wider than 35mm.

3. No Image Stabilisation in body, is this a biggie?

Finally, most on here seem to reference the A7R as the body to get. But some believe the A7 is the better choice. Is there a definitive as to which will work better with Leica M lenses? -- I'm thinking A7R still.. unless there is evidence to prove otherwise..

Or, should I just hold off. And with to see what Fuji do with the X-Pro2 ? or their version of a FF camera.

Shutter noise is about like the canon 5D. Some declare it's the worst thing ever, but I have heard many many accounts now, so that's what I think.

That's for the A7r, the A7 is quieter, but still makes some noise.

Your elmarit 28 will have great centers, but will shift colors and likely have some edge issues, the 24/2.8 will be a little better. The WATE should be quite good.

best bets RF WA: zm18, Cron28. But this is yet to be fully confirmed.

A7r vs A7: you will need to correct more either in camera or PP for colorshift with A7r, and some lenses are poorer on edges, e.g. 15mm cv.

Centers on the A7r are outstanding on every lens. Basically unprecedented centers. Also image quality seems to remain very high at f/16-22.

Check the thread here for samples to judge for yourself. I report only what best evidence tells me.

Should you get one?

again, your call.

many 35s seem to do very very well, and almost everything from there up looks good, but the 50 lux--which may have issues related to the floating elements. But we have yet to see a bunch of samples, so jury is out on 50 lux.

On guy who claimed inside info told me confidentially there would be another camera within a year, which shot everything perfect, but much more expensive. Since the A7s were very nearly not built, I would not hold my breath on that.

Shutter noise is about like the canon 5D. Some declare it's the worst thing ever, but I have heard many many accounts now, so that's what I think.

I have seen the youtube videos of the sound of the shutter. But really I think it's too loud compared to my X-Pro1 and especially my X100 with leaf shutter!

Your elmarit 28 will have great centers, but will shift colors and likely have some edge issues, the 24/2.8 will be a little better. The WATE should be quite good.

I can live with the edges.

Should you get one?

again, your call.

It's very tempting, but I think I will hold out to see what Fuji bring out in 2014

From all the images I have seen the A7R images have that something about them that just look better than the A7 output.

I have seen the youtube videos of the sound of the shutter. But really I think it's too loud compared to my X-Pro1 and especially my X100 with leaf shutter!

I can live with the edges.

It's very tempting, but I think I will hold out to see what Fuji bring out in 2014

From all the images I have seen the A7R images have that something about them that just look better than the A7 output.

A7r RF centers are unprecedented. :)

its the lack of AA filter that gives the R a 'special look' advantage over the 7; similar to how the 12mp gxr m looks 'crisper' than its 16mp counterparts.

I'm interested in getting the A7R for my Leica lenses. A couple of things concern me..

1. Shutter noise -- is it really that bad in real life? and is it louder than say my X-Pro1?

It's way louder and a lot less dampened. It truly is a very strange shutter in feel and in sound. I've actually played with it... not just from looking at videos.

wear those cheesy white ipod earphones while taking photos, like many amateurs do , and you won't a hear a thing, plus you can play a motivational music in the background

Can you live with it?

I couldn't that day, it turned me off immediately... but it was more about the feel than the sound. I'm sure I could get used to it if I had to and of course it'll be a hell of a camera for those who end up using it.

The Non-R seems to be the better camera for your intended use.

Not from various reports. And in the Sony promo's it says that the A7R has specifically slanted photo/light wells to capture at the edges. I don't think the A7 has this feature.

I couldn't that day, it turned me off immediately... but it was more about the feel than the sound. I'm sure I could get used to it if I had to and of course it'll be a hell of a camera for those who end up using it.

It's a real shame. That means my super silent X100 will still have its use when silence is required..

Anyway I have already put a 20% deposit down. So there is no going back!

Back