A7s to have Stainless Steel Mount

Samouraï

Well-known
Local time
3:54 PM
So SonyAlphaRumors posted a video interview with some Sony folk, wherein the A7s is confirmed to be using a stainless steel mount instead of the polycarbonate mount that the rest of Sony's E cameras have used. The reasoning is that the extra durability is needed for heavier cinema glass. Mount bending is a thing.

There's nothing I hate more than a plastic mount on a camera or a lens. Here's proof-positive that it matters. Or at least that professionals won't touch a cinema camera that's doesn't employ the sturdiest mount that it can.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony...to-newsshooter-a7s-has-stainless-steel-mount/

As I wrote elsewhere:

I wouldn't trust a lens mount or tripod screw mount on any small, light camera made today to be suitable for holding up a big heavy lens, regardless of material. That's why any lens which constitutes a "big heavy lens" in my book has to have its own tripod mount, and I don't put it on the camera and then swing the camera around by the neck strap eyelets putting all the load on the lens mount.

One of the reasons I went the money for Novoflex adapters for my lenses was that I could use their excellent tripod mounting unit that attaches to the adapter, taking all the stress loads off the camera body and distributing the loads with much greater support area. It just seemed much more sensible to me.

The intended use of the A7s implies need to manage working with larger, heavier lenses, so upgrading the mount material is a good thing. But does it mean the previous models' mount is poor? Of course not.

G

There's nothing I hate more than a plastic mount on a camera or a lens. Here's proof-positive that it matters. Or at least that professionals won't touch a cinema camera that's doesn't employ the sturdiest mount that it can.

Has your NEX body's mount ever cracked under the weight of a lens?

I shoot my NEX-7 and A7 with big glass (Canon 300mm f2.8L, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 with AF adapters) handheld. I can't remember how many times I've picked up these combinations by the camera, yet so far both cameras have held up fine.

A 4kg lens is on the limit of what I can use without a tripod. I don't think anything lighter will cause any issues with the A7's E mount, plastic or not. The mount ring itself is metal and is locked onto the metal front plate on the A7r, and only the locking flanges are plastic.

Huh? My Nex F3 has a metal mount... also, it is a misconception that a metal mount is better then a "plastic" one. Composite materials can be as strong or stronger then stainless steel.

Composite materials can be as strong or stronger then stainless steel.

What composite material is stronger than stainless steel? Don't get fooled by statements containing things like 'weight for weight". It is the part's dimensions that count.

Cheers,
Dez

Why is everyone on RFF against metal flanges? I hate the polycarbonate flange in my A7R. It has to be lubricated with oil in order to function correctly. There are reserves all around the throat and flange. It's a bloody mess, and it precludes one from wiping out dust with a brush.

Brass is better than polycarb because it is naturally slick/lubricating (without the mess).

Where is it said that Stainless Steel is weaker than the polycarb mount in the A7R? So the A7R will have a stronger mount than the A7S? Don't be obtuse. Stainless is stronger, at least in this case.

No high-end professional cameras have a polycarb flange. Name one. Cinema or Still.

Why is everyone on RFF against metal flanges? I hate the polycarbonate flange in my A7R. It has to be lubricated with oil in order to function correctly. There are reserves all around the throat and flange. It's a bloody mess, and it precludes one from wiping out dust with a brush.

Brass is better than polycarb because it is naturally slick/lubricating (without the mess).

Where is it said that Stainless Steel is weaker than the polycarb mount in the A7R? So the A7R will have a stronger mount than the A7S? Don't be obtuse. Stainless is stronger, at least in this case.

No high-end professional cameras have a polycarb flange. Name one. Cinema or Still.

Even if the locking parts on the mount are plastic, the ring is still both metal and attached to the entire front assembly. You won't be able to force the lens out of the mount unless the front plate pops out, and by then the camera is without doubt just a piece of junk.

I've never used oil on any of my cameras, Sony or not, and I clean my bodies with a mini vacuum and q-tips dipped in alcohol.

What composite material is stronger than stainless steel? Don't get fooled by statements containing things like 'weight for weight". It is the part's dimensions that count.

Cheers,
Dez

For mechanical strength certain treated fiberglass can be stronger than steel, both in weight/strength terms and in practical application.

Reinforced polymers that are commonly used on cameras and laptops can also be very strong, although probably not as strong as steel...

I've never used oil on any of my cameras, Sony or not, and I clean my bodies with a mini vacuum and q-tips dipped in alcohol.

The Sony FE cameras come pre-lubricated with lubrication wells hidden inbetween the discs that make up the throat of the camera. I doubt the lube will ever need replacing, however, (how long do camera bodies really last, these days?), but the fact that lubrication is necessary in a place where it's generally not found makes me suspicious of the design. Sure its cheaper. But simpler construction with higher-quality/luxury parts is preferable in my mind (the flange and mounting plate on other cameras tends to be just one piece).

I know about the various woven synthetic materials. They can be extremely strong, indeed. But are any camera makers employing this stuff? I'd imagine they'd be more expensive than metal, and then still require lubrication.

So is the new steel flange in the A7s is just a bit of posturing? Unnecessary steel to placate the particular tastes of filmmakers? That could very well be a part of it. Filmmakers are a particular bunch. But I can't believe that a stainless steel flange won't hold up to the rigors of third party adapters better than one made of plastic.

People need to stop quoting this article. None of these lenses are professional lenses. Slap a plastic pl-plate on a modern angineux zoom and see who wants to play that game.

People are worried that a heavy lens could flex at the mount and cause focus issues. If you need a camera that will break at the mount to preserve the body's integrity, then you're not a filmmaking professional.

And what about lubrication?

People need to stop quoting this article. None of these lenses are professional lenses. Slap a plastic pl-plate on a modern angineux zoom and see who wants to play that game.

People are worried that a heavy lens could flex at the mount and cause focus issues. If you need a camera that will break at the mount to preserve the body's integrity, then you're not a filmmaking professional.

And what about lubrication?

People need to stop quoting this article if they don't know what the author means by "mount"

AND he doesn't mean the visible ring or the attachment lugs. By his definition all a7 cameras have a metal mount.

I think really the whole question is simple. If your lens is heavier than your camera then the lens needs a tripod mount, possibly with a strap attached for carrying, and the lens can carry the camera.

Ok, that might be OTT but still worth considering for these ultra heavy lenses.

Back