Advice on Polaroid cameras that accept type 669 film?

landsknechte

Well-known
Local time
9:43 AM
I'm going finally get off my rear and try my hand at Polaroid transfers... Hopefully I'll be able to find a nice cheap beater of a camera the flea market this weekend that'll take type 669 film. For what it's worth, does anyone have any particular favorite cameras that will accept that size film? Are there any notoriously bad or problematic models that I should avoid?

Thanks,
-C

THE place to go learn about Polaroids is The Land List. Read through the FAQ list and it'll give you recommendations on which models to look for. Most have cheap plastic lenses, but a few do have glass. Those are the one's you want.

Warning: Polaroids are almost as addictive as RF's and much cheaper!

I have a Polaroid 220 but I can't find a battery for it. A Polaroid 180 or 195 is best because you can control aperture and shutter speed. They are nice and sometimes you can get them for $200-300 on ebay.
Eric

I love the Land Cameras from the 60s

I have the model 250 with the Zeiss rangefinder ... its a fun camera and Radio Shack does have the batteries available to buy off their website

Very scary and strange thing... I went to the flea market looking for an old Polaroid, and didn't find one. Normally, there are a half-dozen of them lurking in cardboard boxes and on ratty old blankets.

Weird.

Is this worth spending time looking for? How long will 669 be made? How long has any Polaroid film been around? And anyway, you want a camera to shoot with, and you want to do emulsion transfers? Why not get a Daylab, and practice doing transfers in the comfort of your work space, without wasting every original on learning how to handle the technique. A Daylab or similar device projects chromes you shoot from any 35mm (or sometimes meduim format) onto the Polaroid film. If you get good, you can do 8x10's too.

Spend your money and time wisely, and think before you invest much of either in this.

If you're going to do this, look into emulsion lifts, too. But beware- many that travel this path do not return.

Last edited:
drewbarb said:
Is this worth spending time looking for? How long will 669 be made? How long has any Polaroid film been around? And anyway, you want a camera to shoot with, and you want to do emulsion transfers? Why not get a Daylab, and practice doing transfers in the comfort of your work space, without wasting every original on learning how to handle the technique. A Daylab or similar device projects chromes you shoot from any 35mm (or sometimes meduim format) onto the Polaroid film. If you get good, you can do 8x10's too.

Spend your money and time wisely, and think before you invest much of either in this.

If you're going to do this, look into emulsion lifts, too. But beware- many that travel this path do not return.

The Daylab seems like more of an investment right off the bat. That's why I'm hunting around for a $5-$10 beater of a Polaroid from the flea market.

Back